Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 11-10-14, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Went shopping for brew this morning and I am now drinking this as I type.

I thought this beer sucked donkey balls. You get orange extract/syrup and that's about as one note as it can get. The Bruery did a way better version of this beer called Break apart Stout.

I have really been let down by Stone lately if it isn't All Day IPA.

On the flip side, I just went to Shelton Brother's Festival this past weekend in San Pedro and the great beers had there. Some of the highlights;

Cellarmaker - Imperial Coffee and Cigarettes

Cantillon - Fou Foune, 2004 Iris

Arizona Wilderness - Denmark in the desert imperial peach porter (brewed with Mikkeller and aged on Pappy barrels)

Bottle Logic - Darkstar November (Bottles for sale on wed before thanksgiving)

Drie Fonteinen - Hommage, 1998 and 2001 Oude Geuze

Sante Adairius - West Ashley

jester king - omniscience & proselytism

The Rare Barrel - Apropos of Nothing

Yeah, I got through about 47 2oz taster tickets that night of nothing but amazing stuff.
Old 11-10-14, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Out of the 3 special edition porters - the vanilla bean extract ranks in #1 place and the orange one in 2nd. Not a fan of the Chipotle Pepper Porter.
Old 11-13-14, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I went down to get the Alesmith Speedway Stout variants for San Diego Beer Week.
http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/901824

Lap 1 - $8.00
(2oz pours)
-Double Hammerhead
-Mint Chocolate
-Creme Brulee
-Red Velvet

Lap 2 - $8.00
(2oz pours)
-Peanut Butter
-Café Du Monde (Cask)
-Creamsicle
-Tequila

Lap 3 - $8.00
(2oz pours)
-Coconut & Vanilla
-Mexican Chocolate
-Honey Graham
-Costa Rican Coffee Varietal

Holy shit, that Mexican Chocolate Speedway was pretty much perfect. It took the taste of Abuelita chocolate and put it into Speedway Stout. Yeah, I could drink that for days.
Old 11-20-14, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just tried a Hop Shortage Triple IPA from Knee Deep Brewing Company.

It was great. I'm still amazed that I like hoppy beers so much. I don't like all kind of beers, and I know some here don't like hoppy beers, specially the ones the ones with double digits. I somehow ended up going the hoppy route.
Old 11-23-14, 05:48 PM

This is definitely going on my list of favorites.

I'm currently working on a pack of Great Lakes Brewing Co. Christmas Ale.
Old 11-23-14, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sure most of you have had Ballast Point's Sculpin; a great, standard IPA.
Well, they just put out a limited "Grapefruit Sculpin" and it is fan-fucking-tastic!
Pick some up, if you can find any...

Old 11-23-14, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How does a beer become a double porter without becoming a stout?
Old 11-24-14, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by 10-7 View Post
I'm currently working on a pack of Great Lakes Brewing Co. Christmas Ale.
Put some cinnamon sugar around the rim of the glass. You're welcome!
Old 11-25-14, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
How does a beer become a double porter without becoming a stout?
Lack of Roasted Barley is generally the idea. Look at Ballast Point's Victory at Sea.
Old 11-25-14, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bralph View Post
Put some cinnamon sugar around the rim of the glass. You're welcome!
Old 11-25-14, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I'm sure most of you have had Ballast Point's Sculpin; a great, standard IPA.
Well, they just put out a limited "Grapefruit Sculpin" and it is fan-fucking-tastic!
Pick some up, if you can find any...

I had Sculpin for the first time last night. Very good. Still Pliny The Elder is the best IPA I've had, but I liked the Sculpin. Very good.
Old 11-25-14, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
Lack of Roasted Barley is generally the idea. Look at Ballast Point's Victory at Sea.
Will do. I guess I need to refresh myself on some of the differences; I was under the impression that a porter has the same ingredients as a stout, just less of those ingredients.
Old 11-25-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I had Sculpin for the first time last night. Very good. Still Pliny The Elder is the best IPA I've had, but I liked the Sculpin. Very good.
Yeah, Sculpin's just a good standard IPA you can find anywhere (around here, anyways), and of course Pliny's way better. But that Grapefruit Sculpin is fantastic, and not too far off from Pliny.
Old 12-01-14, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was able to pick up 2 bottles of BCBS this year. My local shop usually send an email when they have limited beers, but this year they released them without notice. I'm happy to have gotten the 2 I got since I worked a three day weekend and monday was my first day to see if anyone had some. Last year I got 4 bottles of regular and 2 barleywines.
Old 12-01-14, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Journey's end, baby. Mexican Chocolate in a beer.
Had my bottle today, quite tasty. The aroma was amazing,
Old 12-01-14, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Yeah, Sculpin's just a good standard IPA you can find anywhere (around here, anyways), and of course Pliny's way better. But that Grapefruit Sculpin is fantastic, and not too far off from Pliny.
Really? I'll have to try to find it.
Old 12-02-14, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My Black Friday haul:

Old 12-14-14, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Really? I'll have to try to find it.
Currently just a SoCal distributed thing, but Grapefruit Sculpin is amazing stuff and I'd choose it over Elder any day out of the week.
Old 12-14-14, 11:58 AM

Was at a local watering hole last night and they had four beers of Three Floyds on tap: Arctic Panzer Wolf, Gumball Head, Dreadnaught, and Zombie Dust. I drank copious amounts of Zombie Dust and had a glass of Arctic Panzer. I have yet to drink a beer from Three Floyds which I have not enjoyed. Truly a great brewery.
Old 12-28-14, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This was really tasty. It's brewed with chipotle peppers and they did not overpower the brew, which was great. Unless I'm drinking a curry brew the spice should not overpower the rest of it. A nice flourish yes, though.

This Smaug Stout is from Fish Tale Ales Brewing.
Old 12-29-14, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So much beer and so little time and money!
Old 12-29-14, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of Sculpin, I had Jabanero Sculpin a week ago. Good stuff, really has a spicy aftertaste.

Old 02-08-15, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton View Post
Currently just a SoCal distributed thing, but Grapefruit Sculpin is amazing stuff and I'd choose it over Elder any day out of the week.
First, last month I was in SD and went to the Ballast Piint brewery. Had a great time. I guess it was their original location as they mainly make the limited releases now. Had a great time and good beers.

Second, have found the Grapefruit and didn't like it as well as the original. I'd drink again, but prefer the original.

I'm trying to find some bottles of the Sculpen as yesterday I got a growler of the Lone Pint Yellow Rose. A good IPA out of central Texas that should be a nice comparison to the Sculpin.
Old 02-11-15, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's Hopslam time again folks. I went to two separate locations, only to get half a six pack in one location, and a full six pack in the other. Probably going to sell out today, they said. The cashier also mentioned some other molasses porter or something, but I didn't pick it up.

Old 02-11-15, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really focus on local beers. Always my first choice. And luckily, we are, here in North Texas in a craft beer revolution/evolution. Really only 4-5 years going.

Saturday after a 15k race, I went to near by Deep Ellum Brewery. They had a friken of their cherry chocolate double brown stout w/added cherries and rum chips. Deep lord one of the best glasses (sniffer) of beers I've had in a long time. Not overly sweet, not overly heavy. Just weel balanced of all that and just goodness.

Currently I'm loving Lakewood Brewery's Sin Mint. Which is their very good milk stout (Temptress) w/mint. Really good. Later in the week they will release a Raspberry Temptress for Valentine's Day. I'm not big on raspberry's but will give it a try.

Later tonight will be hitting up some Rogue Double Chocolate at it is glass night (v-day version) at my favorite bar.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.