Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 02-17-14, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Oh, yeah... local beer hall has brought in a shit-ton of Russian River!

Old 02-17-14, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

I hit up this place last night,

http://craftprideaustin.com/

The bars on Reiney Street are all cool. But I also bout a bottle of Souther Tier Creme Brle....haven't tried yet.
Old 03-09-14, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So the family went to a wedding reception that was held at the Stone Brewery facility down in Escondido and brought me back a 2 litre growler with some "Tiger Cub" Saison aged in White Wine Barrels. I'm gonna be busy tomorrow!
Old 03-10-14, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, so I killed this 2-litre Tiger Cub Saison aged in white wine barrels in about 5 hours. It was excellent! Best limited edition brew I've had in quite some time.
Old 03-10-14, 01:01 PM
RIP

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Yeah, so I killed this 2-litre Tiger Cub Saison aged in white wine barrels in about 5 hours. It was excellent! Best limited edition brew I've had in quite some time.

5 hours? Who taught you how to drink?
Old 03-10-14, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post

5 hours? Who taught you how to drink?
Yeah, I had not drank craft beer for 2 months - I had to drink it gradually. It was some good shit that you just don't pound. This ain't fucking Budwieser.
Old 03-10-14, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

just started delving into craft beer in recent months. think I've spent $$$$ in recent weeks too

stuff I've enjoyed, and will purchase again:

Dogfish Head (Black and Blue, Palo Santo Marron, Noble Rot)
Allagash Black
Allagash White
Clown Shoes Vampire Slayer (I heard the name cannot be used anymore, and will be changed to something other than Vampire Slayer, due to copyright reasons?)
Lost Abbey (been collecting almost all of their stuff, have Deliverance, Cuvee de Tomme, Saint's Devotion, Red Poppy, Carnevale, Gift of the Magi, Serpent's Stout, Ten Commandments, Avant Garde, Saison Blanc, Red Barn Ale)
Goose Island (Sofie, Halia)
Almanac (Valley of the Heart's Delight, Biere de Chocolat, Brandy Barrel Peche)

Too bad we don't get Cigar City and Founders here.
Old 03-10-14, 09:34 PM
Suspended

This Miller's Fortune stuff was on sale at Ralph's $5.99 for 6 bottles, it'd advertises being 6.9% alc. Fucking disgusting garbage, do not buy.

Old 03-11-14, 08:44 AM
RIP

Yeah, I had not drank craft beer for 2 months - I had to drink it gradually. It was some good shit that you just don't pound. This ain't fucking Budwieser.
My issue with any beer is that I inevitably pound it. It's a problem. I think the doctors call it alcoholism or some such shit.
Old 03-11-14, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A little time in Pittsburgh. Hit Fat Heads and a couple Irish bars. Loved Fat Heads. Might end up back there depending on how latw im out. I'm hitting Church Brew Works tonight.

http://fatheadspittsburgh.com/

http://www.churchbrew.com/
Old 03-11-14, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Had a Three Floyds "Live a Rich Life" on tap at my local yesterday. It's a Belgian IIPA collaboration with De Struise. The 100+ IBU of Three Floyds' trademark mango/grapefruit hops blows away any yeast in this. It's still delicious but not really any different than any of their other IIPAs. I'm beginning to think that Three Floyds is a bit of a one trick pony. They excel at hop-forward ales but I've never had anything else from them that I think is exceptional.
Old 03-18-14, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We finally got Lagunitas in Ohio, which means I finally got to try...

...which is pretty good, but not as good as...

...which is my new favorite IPA from them, and probably my new favorite from them, period. Granted, Burning River and Commodore Perry are nothing to write home about, but I like Lake Erie Monster quite a bit, and this one blows it out of the water.
Old 07-20-14, 08:33 PM

I found my way back to DVDTalk, so I'll resurrect this thread from hibernation.

Would like to hear people's opinions.

The scene has undergone quite a shift over the past few years. Seems most breweries are more concerned with brewing a UNIQUE beer than a GOOD one now. Sad, but more than half the beers I try nowadays are not good. Yet the price continues to go up and up, so now you end up spending more money for worse beer. Fortunately, I joined forces with a buddy 2.5 years ago and we run a beer/wine shop here in San Diego, so since we try every beer that comes in the store (and twice as many that we reject), I'm not wasting my personal money. (Actually, my job here is to run the wine department and it's far more rewarding to me than beer is now.)

What great beers have you guys and gals had lately? And what's your ratio of good to bad?

And has anyone bought one of these?

Old 07-20-14, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by DarkElf View Post
And has anyone bought one of these?

Picked one of the Beer Camps up a few days ago. I've tried the Oskar Blues, Asheville Brewers Alliance, and Victory collabs so far. Pretty good. Nothing outstanding, but tasty beers nonetheless.
Old 07-29-14, 01:11 AM

Took me awhile, but I finally sampled all 12 beers in this Beer Camp Across American pack. I'd say 6 were very good to excellent, 4 were decent, and I did not like 2. Overall, pretty good collection of beers and a lot of fun to go through.

I'd rank them like this:
Bell's Maillard's Odyssey Imperial Dark Ale
Ninkasi Double Latte
Allagash Myron's Walk
Russian River Yvan The Great
Ashville Brewers Alliance Tater Ridge
New Glarus There And Back English Style Bitter
---
Oskar Blues CANfusion Rye Bock
Firestone Walker Torpedo Pilsner
Electric Ray India Pale Lager
Victory Alt Route
---
Cigar City Yonder Bock
3 Floyds Chico King Pale Ale
Old 07-30-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Woohoo, It's Pumking time!

Old 08-01-14, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tap list at my favorite local brewery, "Bootleggers" - every beer they have is great. I am SO spoiled!

[size]
Spoiler:
Old 08-01-14, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^Awesome. Last year I discovered pumpkin beers are amongst my favorites. Only a couple duds among the dozen or so I tried.

^The bar nearest my house is called Bootleggers. They have 3 beers on tap - Coors Light, Miller Light, and PBR.
Old 08-04-14, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Had this last night. Maybe my palate is just moving away from high ABV% bourbon-barrel stouts, but this just didn't do it for me.
Old 08-05-14, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by DarkElf View Post
Took me even longer to finish my Beer Camp pack, but I'll split them into 2 categories. Beers I'd drink again/Beers I would pass on. The coffee milk stout and imperial dark ale were my favorites.

Beers I'd drink again:
Ninkasi Double Latte Coffee Milk Stout
Bell's Maillard's Odyssey Imperial Dark Ale
Russian River Yvan the Great
Victory Alt Route
Asheville Brewers Alliance Tater Ridge
New Glarus There and Back ESB
Cigar City Yonder Bock
Firestone Walker Torpedo Pilsner
Oskar Blues CANfusion Rye Bock

Beers I'd pass on:
3 Floyds Chico King Pale Ale
Allagash Myron's Walk
Ballast Point Electric Ray IPL
Old 08-09-14, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

stupidest fucking thing I have heard in a long time.
Old 08-09-14, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
stupidest fucking thing I have heard in a long time.

You shut your whore mouth!

/burps
Old 08-09-14, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Been loading up on Pumpkin beers for a pumpkin taste off. Though I've had two already....
Old 08-09-14, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You shut your whore mouth!

/burps
If I shut my whore mouth, how would I ever regurgutate this?

this shit has been tearing me apart for days of drinking it.
Old 08-09-14, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm unable to get Pumking here in L.A.
No one has it not even my hook up and doing a mail order trade is a pain in the ass.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.