Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 08-01-13, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

My brother is leaving the country for 2-3 years and I won't see him for a while, so last night I decided to dig real deep into my cellar. We opened a 2008 Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout and 2007 Westvleteren 12. I must say both aged very nicely.

Old 08-01-13, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Happy IPA Day everyone!!!

Enjoying a nice bottle of Aprihop myself tonight with dinner.
Old 08-01-13, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just had an Aroma Coma. I'm having a R&R Coconut IPA (Stone Collaboration) tomorrow.
Old 08-02-13, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think I have a new favorite beer.

Last edited by Tom Banjo; 08-02-13 at 03:07 AM. Reason: ETA: sorry for the large size. Don't know how to shrink it on this iPad.
Old 08-22-13, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked up Saranac's "12 Beers of Summer" on the cheap ($7.99), and will be going back for more. Everything in it is at least drinkable, but this might be the best non-seasonal thing they've ever done:
Old 08-23-13, 09:42 PM

Just starting to dip my toes into the craft brewery scene after years of being pretty much an exclusive bourbon drinker. Macro brews and I didn't really hit if off seeing as Old Milwaukee Lite and PBR were probably the first beers I ever had.

Founders has fast become a favorite of mine (having my first Centennial IPA as I type this), with their Porter being my overall most loved beer to date.

I live about 10 minutes from Three Floyd's, although I've only had Arctic Panzer Wolf and Blackheart thus far. Plan on hitting them up this coming week during vacation and picking up a few things and sampling some others.

Goose Island is fairly prominent around here (obviously), but I've only had a handful of their brews (312, IPA).

So I guess I'm off to a good start. I knew sticking around the midwest would eventually pay off!
Old 08-24-13, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
I think I have a new favorite beer.
That sounds amazing! Unfortunately not available in the Midwest. Wanna send me some?
Old 08-24-13, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wish I could find more. It's super rare!
Old 08-24-13, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I'm unable to get Mexican Cake here in Cali. I'm also unable to get Pumking. Pisses me off. Can't get Dark Lord either.

Old 08-24-13, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went to eat in Temecula (of all places) but had one of the best beers I have ever enjoyed:

Great Divide - Yeti Imperial Stout

Thick and Rich, almost creamy. I am trying to find it here in SD, hope I do, I don't want to go to Denver just for this (though I'm thinking of it )

Old 08-24-13, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Yeah, I'm unable to get Mexican Cake here in Cali. I'm also unable to get Pumking. Pisses me off. Can't get Dark Lord either.

That's ok because the last two are complete sugar bombs. Mexican Cake however is wonderful.
Old 08-24-13, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just scooped these two up from my local spot:

I'm hoping that coconut curry hef tastes as awesome as it sounds.
Old 08-25-13, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And I am now drinking the coconut curry hef while watching a feature:

Spoiler:

It has a crisp taste going in, mellow body, and a spicy after taste. It lingers. The coconut is in abundance and really sweetens the whole deal. I don't really care for the after taste, though.

It's a Hef, and I like it more than the Stone R&R IPA that came a few weeks ago that had zero coconut taste.

EDIT - Damn it.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 08-25-13 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-26-13, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grip View Post
Went to eat in Temecula (of all places) but had one of the best beers I have ever enjoyed:

Thick and Rich, almost creamy. I am trying to find it here in SD, hope I do, I don't want to go to Denver just for this (though I'm thinking of it )

Everyone seems to love Yeti but me. I've had three or four versions of their stout and wasn't impressed by any of them.

Here are some of my recent acquisitions:

Yep, a whole case of "sugar bombs". Can't wait for a nice cool weekend to crack some open. Haven't opened my bottle of w00tstout yet, but had it on tap this weekend. Very good, a little boozy. Tastes very similar to Old Rasputin, with a higher ABV. But since I can get Old Rasputin any time, I won't put in a lot of effort to track down more w00tstout. I may even save this bottle for trade.
Old 08-26-13, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 08-26-13, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bruery "Saison Rue": honey / caramel sweetness, strong lemony Brett taste, drying spicy coriander/floral finish. Like most saisons, gets better at about the 58 degree mark. Incredible beer, tailor made for the summer. Wine-like pricing spoils the deal a little.

Ballast Point "Sculpin": recent arrival in Chicago of this somewhat famous, benchmark IPA. Unbelievable hop extraction in the smell, characteristic west coast C-hop. Taste is similar to Racer 5: grapefruit, apricot, mango. Not as much malt balance as something like "Union Jack". Extremely tasty IPA, but not worth the (fairly outrageous) price or the hype, IMO. Lots of others are just as good.

Port "Hop 15": Outrageous hop bomb (the label is literally a hop bomber). Exhausting and over the top. Alcohol, tropical fruit, malt... it's all screaming from the rooftops. I actually enjoyed it, but get a friend to help with this one.

"Josef Belgian Beer" from Trader Joes: wife bought this. Cheap European drain pour. Avoid.

Unibroue "Trois Pistoles": IMO, the best and most underrated Unibroue brew. Dark Belgian style ale with clouds of lees in the bottle. Plummy, raisins, molasses cut with high carbonation and zippy alcohol.
Old 09-15-13, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grip View Post

I had that at their brewery in Denver just a couple weeks ago. I just wanted to roll around in it!
Old 09-15-13, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone have experience or suggestions for non-glass growlers?

I'm going to be doing some tailgating and love taking growlers. However all the stadiums are getting strict with no glass. Even at Ranger game (baseball) I've been called out. They didn't make me throw it out or anything, but told me to keep in cooler and not bring it again.

I've already got some tickets for a couple NFL games and hear they are even more strict this year with their increased security.
Old 09-16-13, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am a fan of both of these from Keg works. The water insulate flask is more expensive but keeps it extremely cold.
http://www.kegworks.com/hydro-flask-...z-1459-p178238

http://www.kegworks.com/kegworks-sta...z-1459-p175683
Old 09-16-13, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This whole craft beer thing is getting popular, I now have 3, count them 3 craft beer/draft houses within 10 minutes of my house and I can find just about anything I desire. I also know of two really good ones about 45 minutes from me and they both serve all organic dishes along with the hard to find beer.

One side effect is that I may be turning into an alcoholic! And I'm spending way to much money!
Old 09-16-13, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fat Tire finally made it to Florida. That only took a really, really long time.
Old 09-16-13, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
I am a fan of both of these from Keg works. The water insulate flask is more expensive but keeps it extremely cold.
http://www.kegworks.com/hydro-flask-...z-1459-p178238

http://www.kegworks.com/kegworks-sta...z-1459-p175683
Nice. Just found out we have a Growler store here (yea they fill them too). I think I want one maybe two stainless steel and a couple of those plastic bag type ones like this.

http://beerpouch.com/

I'm going to go check out the growler store. I did order this. Figured price was right and a start.

http://www.amazon.com/Lifeline-7508B...+steel+growler
Old 09-16-13, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I only drank clear beer. Then I worked in Denver in 1997 where I got introduced to Fat Fire. I've never looked back. Of course there are better beers, but Fat Tire is still my house beer in my home bar.
Old 09-17-13, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I only drank clear beer.
Heh. My beer motto is, "If I can see through it, I don't drink it."
Old 09-17-13, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I thought maybe they opened their 2nd location. But looks like just getting started. Read another article where they have been able to expand production in Fort Collins.

http://www.newbelgium.com/community/...lebrewery.aspx

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.