Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 03-14-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

For any Boston area folks, the semi-annual New England Real Ale Exhibition (NERAX) is coming up March 20-23. All cask-conditioned real ale and ciders--- about 50 from the UK, 50 from the US, and a few from Germany. It's really a great chance to sample a lot of beers--particularly UK ones that you probably wouldn't find on this side of the pond too easily.

Here's the UK beer list for this session:

http://www.nerax.org/nerax/uk-beers.html
Old 03-29-13, 06:36 PM

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

The last week has been good to me:

Epic Brewing Belgian Style releases #16 and #23 (cherries and peaches)
Lost Abbey Devotion
Lost Abbey Red Poppy Ale
Widmer Chocolate Russian Imperial Stout
2x Widmer Raspberry Russian Imperial Stout
Saint Arnold's Divine Reserve 13
Saint Arnold's Bishop's Barrel 2
2x Game of Thrones Iron Throne
Lakefront Bridge Burner Ale
Elysian Valhalla Red Ale
Elysian Bifrost Winter Ale
Old 03-29-13, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

^ I don't know how much of that Bishop's Barrel 2 you got, but I cracked one of mine a few days ago and I must say, once it warmed too much, I didn't like it at all. Usually I drink slow, to see how flavors change/develop with warming, but I think I'm drinking the next one a bit more quickly, definitely well-chilled.

Just my opinion and I'm sure you'll hear others, but I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in on that because it's fresh in my mind.
Old 03-30-13, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
^ I don't know how much of that Bishop's Barrel 2 you got, but I cracked one of mine a few days ago and I must say, once it warmed too much, I didn't like it at all. Usually I drink slow, to see how flavors change/develop with warming, but I think I'm drinking the next one a bit more quickly, definitely well-chilled.

Just my opinion and I'm sure you'll hear others, but I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in on that because it's fresh in my mind.
I got 7 bottles of it. I was hoping for something more like the 1 (that might be one of my top 5 beers), but this one is good. As long as you drink it chilled. I'm not a fan of the barrel aging for this. I don't think the beer was strong enough to handle the aging. I'll be looking to trade a few of these, though. I'm really, DESPERATELY, trying to come across some Hardywood stuff, so I figured I'd pick up extras of these to shoot for it.
Old 03-30-13, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gilgamesh1082 View Post
I got 7 bottles of it. I was hoping for something more like the 1 (that might be one of my top 5 beers), but this one is good. As long as you drink it chilled. I'm not a fan of the barrel aging for this. I don't think the beer was strong enough to handle the aging. I'll be looking to trade a few of these, though. I'm really, DESPERATELY, trying to come across some Hardywood stuff, so I figured I'd pick up extras of these to shoot for it.
If I had any extra Hardywood, I'd trade you for some BB2. I've had some at tastings, but just got a bottle of the BA GBS. Saving that for next Christmas Eve.

(If you end up trading with someone from that (the Hardywood) neck of the woods, see if they can get you some Williamsburg AleWerks Cafe Royale. That is the next one I need to find!)
Old 03-30-13, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Check it out, Wilco (the band) has a beer brewed by Lagunitas, and it's pretty damn good too!

Old 03-31-13, 09:56 AM

If I had any extra Hardywood, I'd trade you for some BB2. I've had some at tastings, but just got a bottle of the BA GBS. Saving that for next Christmas Eve.

(If you end up trading with someone from that (the Hardywood) neck of the woods, see if they can get you some Williamsburg AleWerks Cafe Royale. That is the next one I need to find!)
That BA GBS is what I'm looking for in particular.
Old 03-31-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anybodys local pub have a randall?

Last week they had Troges Nugget Nectar infused with mango, yesterday they had Springhouse Big Gruesome infused with coffee; both of them were fantastic!
Old 03-31-13, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 03-31-13, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post

Last week they had Troges Nugget Nectar infused with mango, yesterday they had Springhouse Big Gruesome infused with coffee; both of them were fantastic!
So jealous! I wish someone around here had one.
Old 03-31-13, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So jealous! I wish someone around here had one.
They have two so far and have plans on getting two more.
Old 03-31-13, 06:31 PM

They have two so far and have plans on getting two more.
That's awesome! I've heard of so many good things done on the Randall.
Old 03-31-13, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got a local spot that uses one, but it's limited and they start using it around 3:00 in the afternoon, by the time I make it around 6 or 7 hours later, they're done. Not really sure what I'm missing.....
Old 03-31-13, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 03-31-13, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My favorite close by pub got one in a few weeks ago. The one I tried was a hoppy beer they infused with more hops...lol....wow...knocked my socks off.

They haven't been using it regularly. I missed last time. Like once every couple of weeks. Think they are still learning. They did have a coffee infused stout, but I generally don't like coffee in my beer. I had a sample and pretty intense.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post

Ha! I just had The Game of Thrones on draft tonight. I'm not a blonde fan, but that stuff is pretty damn good. I may go try to find it for my blonde on hand in my bar.
Old 04-01-13, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We plowed through the rest of the stuff, so can't vouch on GOT brew. Next week, baby. lol
Old 04-01-13, 10:39 AM

If your favorite local pub doesn't offer a Randall or other infusions, try using a French press for coffee and experiment on your own. We have a dedicated beer press, and it's fun to try infusing coffee beans into our favorite stouts, fresh hops into our IPAs (in season)...
Old 04-01-13, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Well sure, a good craft beer in a can is going to be better than a macrobrew in a can. But still, draft is always going to better than bottled, and bottled is always going to be better than canned. I doubt any respected brewer would argue differently (and as pointed out in the article, Bell's is doing it simply to get sport venue sales, where bottles are not allowed).
As I picked up a couple more four-packs of Ten Fidy yesterday, I went back and searched through this thread to find this statement I made a couple years ago. I completely retract everything I said. Obviously canning technology (or perhaps "can" technology) has evolved to the point where some of the best brews are indeed now delivered that way (besides Ten Fidy, I also enjoy canned Eugene Porter). My only defense is that I was much newer to craft beers then, and was basing my statements on my experiences with sub-par canned products of the '70s, '80s and '90s.

I have been converted! (or is that "canverted"?)
Old 04-01-13, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
As I picked up a couple more four-packs of Ten Fidy yesterday, I went back and searched through this thread to find this statement I made a couple years ago. I completely retract everything I said. Obviously canning technology (or perhaps "can" technology) has evolved to the point where some of the best brews are indeed now delivered that way (besides Ten Fidy, I also enjoy canned Eugene Porter). My only defense is that I was much newer to craft beers then, and was basing my statements on my experiences with sub-par canned products of the '70s, '80s and '90s.

I have been converted! (or is that "canverted"?)
While I agree with your current statement, I also think it a bit of marketing. A way to get noticed.

One of my favorite places to buy beer has a nice selection of craft canned beers.
Old 04-02-13, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just wanted to reiterate my love of Lagunitas "Sucks". I tried it on a whim at a sushi restaurant. I'm a little burnt out on DIPAs and wasn't really expecting much but Lagunitas has never really let me down. The aroma extraction that his your nose when your pour a bottle of this stuff is simply insane, you can smell it across the room. Right after opening it I know I was going to love it and indeed I did. It's extremely drinkable for a DIPA, it's not cloyingly sweet or too oily. It's balanced, nicely malty and hides the alcohol completely. It's just about a perfect DIPA. I'm back on tha hop sauce.

Anyway, I drank a lot of it over the winter and was expecting it to be gone. I was surprised that my wife found a week-old case at my local shop yesterday. She spoke with the buyer there and he said that Lagunitas is going to continue making this for a few more months. Apparently the demand at least here in Chicago is very, very high for this brew. I can see why. My fridge is now stocked for a while.

On the drain pour front, a friend bought me some New Holland Mad Hatter DIPA. I've never been a fan of this brewery and this was yet another beer I didn't like by them. Weirdly unbalanced and bitter without being flavorful. It has a very alcohol-forward sting and no real aroma. Did not like it at all. I generally finish everything I open, not this one.
Old 04-12-13, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mexico is now in the craft beer business:

And got me a a Monkeyfist IPA and chocolate sombrero stout.

Old 04-12-13, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Lagunitas is my favorite brewery currently. Everything I've tried has been excellent. Sucks just showed up here in NE WI a couple weeks ago, didn't realize it had been out so long elsewhere.
Old 04-15-13, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Supposedly coming out in May:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/03/15/news...eer/index.html

Old 04-15-13, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yikes, and it's only a 4.7%?
Old 04-15-13, 10:15 AM
RIP

Tried some of that Game of Thrones, awfully good stuff.

Also bought a case of Big Flats.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.