Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 12-23-12, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Old 12-24-12, 01:25 PM

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

I'm not a huge beer drinker, but I've been drinking quite a bit of this over the holiday season thus far.

Old 12-24-12, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Back home for the first time in forever, hoping these have held up

Old 12-24-12, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure I missed it being mentioned in this thread somewhere, but Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro is downright fantastic.
Old 12-25-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The wife hooked me up with a bunch of my favorite beers for Christmas!

Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA (6pk)
Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA (6pk)
Hop Manna He'Brew IPA (22oz)
Stone Ruination IPA (22oz)
Green Flash West Coast IPA (4pk)
Founders All Day IPA (6pk)
Ballast Point Sculpin IPA (6pk)
Marble Brewery IPA (6pk)
Old 12-25-12, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
I'm sure I missed it being mentioned in this thread somewhere, but Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro is downright fantastic.
It is fan-fuckin-tastic.
Old 12-27-12, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Finally found in Alabama!
Old 12-27-12, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Finally found in Alabama!
One of my favorites. How much does it go for down by you? A 4 pack in NJ sells for around $12.
Old 12-28-12, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
One of my favorites. How much does it go for down by you? A 4 pack in NJ sells for around $12.
It was about $14 before taxes for a 4-pack.
The place I found it (Earth Fare) also has Gubna Imperial IPA. I may check that out in the next couple of days.
Old 01-01-13, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Solemn Oath "None More Black" Black Saison: 22oz on tap. Very local (to me) brewery that's coming up the ranks. This one is really weird stuff, but I liked it. Basically a stout with saison yeast and some light c-hopping. Reminds me a bit of (the superior) Allagash Black. What a great name as well.

Uinta Hop Notch: top drawer example of a West Coast IPA (even though it's from Utah). Grapefruit and mango, terrific oil extraction. Still nicely balanced with malt and sweet. I think this is up there with Racer 5. I'll definitely get this again.

On tap:
Trader Joe's "Providential" spiced Belgian ale. Another private label corked bomber from Unibroue. $6 at Trader Joes right now, along with the last few cases of the 2012 Vintage Ale. Unibroue is easily one of my favorite breweries, I love that Trader Joe's is private labeling their stuff and selling it for roughly half the price of the very similar and very awesome "Le Terrible". Get a bunch of this while you can.
Old 01-01-13, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Enjoying this right now, yum.

Old 01-10-13, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Not beer, but I had a shitty night at night and just got into a jar of Mountain Moon Apple Pie Moonshine.
Not bad, but I can honestly say my own apple pie "moonshine" tastes better.
My most recent concoction was Simply Apple juice, mulling spices, cinnamon sticks, white sugar, brown sugar, Everclear, and Pinnacle Whipped vodka.
Anybody else have a good Apple Pie recipe?

Any proportions you can share for your recipe, Tom Banjo?

I have the itch to make some.
Old 01-13-13, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Anybody else have a good Apple Pie recipe?

Any proportions you can share for your recipe, Tom Banjo?

I have the itch to make some.
http://www.moonshineheritage.com/blo...pie-moonshine/
That's the basic recipe I started with, and it's perfectly fine. I've tried the other stuff as experiments, with mixed results. It can easily get too spicy and become a thick, cloudy mess.

ETA: Or you could save the trouble and just get this at the ABC store:
http://www.liquorama.net/junior-john...ine-750ml.html
Old 01-13-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know somebody who works for Bells. Last week he was telling me how he has been drinking Hopslam right off the tap. I wanted to punch him out of pure jealousy.
Old 01-14-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
I know somebody who works for Bells. Last week he was telling me how he has been drinking Hopslam right off the tap. I wanted to punch him out of pure jealousy.
Yeah, I live in kzoo, with lots of friends who work there. We are a bit spoiled (IE 10 bottles of black note, 15 bottles of wild one in my cellar). I never buy Hopslam cause anytime I want it from now until usually April/May I can just go to the Eccentric Cafe.

Also, if you want to be more jealous of the beer scene in kzoo - http://www.kalamazoobeerweek.com/

Going on right now.
Old 01-14-13, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finally fired up the dedicated beer fridge in my bike room in the basement. Spent $150 at Binny's filling it to the brim with good stuff. Good beer + carbon fiber bikes + neatly arranged tools = happy Hiro.
Old 01-22-13, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finally after missing out the last 2 seasons I got my hands on a 6-pack of Hopslam yesterday. The same time I went to the new Warren's Ale House right down from where I live and they had it on tap. A great day to say the least.

Next on my to do list is check out the Solemn Oath brewery as I learned how close it is from where I work.
Old 01-23-13, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Schloob1 View Post
Finally after missing out the last 2 seasons I got my hands on a 6-pack of Hopslam yesterday. The same time I went to the new Warren's Ale House right down from where I live and they had it on tap. A great day to say the least.

Next on my to do list is check out the Solemn Oath brewery as I learned how close it is from where I work.
I've also been wanting to check out Solemn Oath. Last time I checked, they had very limiting hours of operation.
Old 01-31-13, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Got my ticket!

Old 02-03-13, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The bulk of my haul from a two-day beer store excursion. (Multiples and a few others not shown.) Yes, I like stouts.

Old 02-03-13, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Had a few of those before, have a few in my cellar, but jealous of the Moloko and BCBS (coffee?). And what is that with the green wax?

(Never had Biscotti Break in a bottle, but on tap it was amazing!)
Old 02-03-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that's a Coffee BCS. The owner of the liquor store went into the back "into his personal stash" to find it for me. And Moloko is one of my favorites, I always buy as many as I can when I see it.

The green wax one is Abduction Coffee Break. Haven't had it before.
Old 02-03-13, 02:32 PM

Sweet! (I wish Moloko would make it out here in bombers.) Gotta like the rating on that Abduction. Let us know how it is.
Old 02-26-13, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For you guys in Texas. One of my best friends has his own microbrewery in College Station (you'll find them around that CS, Bryan, Cypress area). They do tours and such. I'm not much of a beer-guy personally, but it is a pretty cool time if you are in the area and wanna see the insides of a microbrewery.

http://www.newrepublicbrewing.com/
Old 03-09-13, 10:06 PM

Had a New Glarus Enigma and WOW! was that great. I didn't think it was too much anything, but plenty of a lot. Much tartness, lotsa cherry, totally delicious!

Any TX folks find an extra 512 BA Pecan Porter they're interested in unloading?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.