Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 12-03-12, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by edclem View Post
About to crack one of these open:

My favorite local brewery, and my favorite of their brews.
A truly excellent double IPA
Excellent brew, forgot that it just hit.

Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Westy 12 is an elite beer. Very, very, very good. However, I think St. Bernardus 12 is every bit it's equal.
Totally agree. Rochefort 10 as well.
Old 12-03-12, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Surly is awesome. Wish I could get it here.
Old 12-03-12, 07:20 PM

Merry Christmas to me!

Scored a Utopias 10 year anniversary at my local shop - now to figure out if I should open it or the 2007 one I"ve been storing.

Decisions, decisions
Old 12-03-12, 07:43 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info guys. I will look for some St. Bernardus 12 locally instead of getting up early and driving 3 hours round trip to attempt scoring Westvleteren XII. I know I can order the St. Bernardus 12 online if I need to.
Old 12-04-12, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The new 12/12/12 Vertical Epic from Stone has hit the streets. I bought two of them.

Old 12-05-12, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Had some Firestone Walker Double Jack (double IPA) last week, at my local pizza parlor, they had it in tap. And WOW! I had tried some Firestone's beers before, in bottle, and they were good, but this Double Jack was just awesome, everyone needs to try it at least once.
Old 12-05-12, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
Had some Firestone Walker Double Jack (double IPA) last week, at my local pizza parlor, they had it in tap. And WOW! I had tried some Firestone's beers before, in bottle, and they were good, but this Double Jack was just awesome, everyone needs to try it at least once.
Complete agreement - damn that's good.

If you haven't already, get your hands on some Firestone Wookey Jack
Old 12-05-12, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
Yeah, the balance and mouthfeel of FW's stuff is truly superb. I usually find IIPAs or DIPAs too brutal (Stone Ruination), sweet (Ska Decadent) or floral (Bell's The Oracle), but Double Jack is the exception. It's the malt balance in that particular brew that makes it a winner to me.
Old 12-12-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 12-15-12, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

today's haul:

Old 12-17-12, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is that BA Gingerbread stout? I have that and a couple Gingerbread stouts headed my way, can't wait to try em!
Old 12-17-12, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by steebo777 View Post
Is that BA Gingerbread stout? I have that and a couple Gingerbread stouts headed my way, can't wait to try em!
yep...2 bottles!
Old 12-17-12, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by steebo777 View Post
Damn! I had the regular Gingerbread stout and thought that was phenomenal. I expected it to be nearly impossible to find the BA version. Did you guys trade for those?

I spent the weekend at Jackie O's in Athens. They had 40 of their beers on tap and released 7 bottles of stouts, barleywines, sours and other goodies. I'm a member of their version of a reserve society, so I also picked up a case of exclusives. Overall, my husband and I brought home over 3 cases of deliciousness. Time to re-arrange the cellar!
Old 12-17-12, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Renee View Post
Damn! I had the regular Gingerbread stout and thought that was phenomenal. I expected it to be nearly impossible to find the BA version. Did you guys trade for those?
i got my Bourbon GBS's at the release party this past saturday.
Old 12-17-12, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you guys want any Michigan stuff for the BA Gingerbread, let's talk!
Old 12-17-12, 10:23 PM

Made it down to Jackie O's this weekend for their 7th Anniversary celebration/bottle release. I ended up trying 25 different beers plus the bottles I brought home. I can definitely see making this an annual event. I KNOW I couldn't name a favorite and even a top 5 would be rough, but the Dark Robustic #1 and Mandala Citra were two I remember quite well.

The only bad part of the weekend is reading the crap all over BA now. People just won't ever be happy.
Old 12-18-12, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Forgot to mention last evening, but my sister bought me a couple of these in a mix and match pack for the holidays, have yet to try one, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they taste like:

These are great! It really does taste like banana bread. I buy it a few times a year. They're great when you want to try something different.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier's (smoked beeer) are my absolute favorite. Any of them are great; the Urbock, Marzen, or Wheat. It's like drinking a steak!

I know this is a beer thread but bourbon does go with beer. I've just discovered this bourbon, Buffalo Trace. It is awesome! I highly recommend you try it out.

Old 12-18-12, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
Made it down to Jackie O's this weekend for their 7th Anniversary celebration/bottle release. I ended up trying 25 different beers plus the bottles I brought home. I can definitely see making this an annual event. I KNOW I couldn't name a favorite and even a top 5 would be rough, but the Dark Robustic #1 and Mandala Citra were two I remember quite well.

The only bad part of the weekend is reading the crap all over BA now. People just won't ever be happy.
It seems we were in the same place at the same time, without knowing it!

The Nutted Brick Kiln was ridiculously good. I hope Brad opts to bottle that, along with the Mandala Citra and Galaxy. What a great tap list!

I've read the BA crap and concur. The event was handled very well, IMO.
Old 12-18-12, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Renee View Post
It seems we were in the same place at the same time, without knowing it!

The Nutted Brick Kiln was ridiculously good. I hope Brad opts to bottle that, along with the Mandala Citra and Galaxy. What a great tap list!

I've read the BA crap and concur. The event was handled very well, IMO.
That was the biggest disappointment of the trip. Not getting to meet/talk with everyone there. I went to the bottle share at O'Bettys and didn't learn many of the folks BA names and really only a few real names.

I've read about Jackie O's for a while now, but never bothered to make the trip. So glad I finally did and I can't see not doing it again, at the very least, annually. Such a top notch facility/handling of the event. Can't wait to dig in to the one bottle of Thorogood I got.

I truly am sorry people went away disappointed, but in spite of the fact that one may not have gotten what they wanted, everything the brewery put on tap was beyond amazing. You really had to have a sourpuss if you came away from this weekend in a bad mood.
Old 12-19-12, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Buffalo Trace is an awesome whiskey and the price is right.

I am drinking some Stone's Old Guardian Barley Wine. I hate barley wine, but Stone's is awesome. And it's a hearty 11%.
Old 12-20-12, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not beer, but I had a shitty night at night and just got into a jar of Mountain Moon Apple Pie Moonshine.
Not bad, but I can honestly say my own apple pie "moonshine" tastes better.
My most recent concoction was Simply Apple juice, mulling spices, cinnamon sticks, white sugar, brown sugar, Everclear, and Pinnacle Whipped vodka.
Old 12-20-12, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Doin a Vertical Epic tasting 04.04.04-12.12.12 this weekend. Wish I was more excited about it, but most weren't that good fresh or with some age on it. However the novelty of it will be cool.

Note: Not my pic, just using it as reference.
Old 12-20-12, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Not beer, but I had a shitty night at night and just got into a jar of Mountain Moon Apple Pie Moonshine.
Not bad, but I can honestly say my own apple pie "moonshine" tastes better.
My most recent concoction was Simply Apple juice, mulling spices, cinnamon sticks, white sugar, brown sugar, Everclear, and Pinnacle Whipped vodka.
That sounds pretty damn tasty!
Old 12-21-12, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really loved Stone 12.12.12... very gingerbready. Went to a big tasting the other day with 06.06.06 through 12.12.12 on tap and had a great time taking notes and drinking all the beers in a row (and almost fell over in the process).
Old 12-22-12, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Finally snagged one of these bad boys!!!!!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.