Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 02-09-11, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Tried a Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout. I'm not a big fan of Stouts, well, I don't drink them too often, I prefer other tastes. But I gave a chance to this one, since it's from Lagunitas, and it's made with coffee, another of my favorite drinks

So, this is a 8.8% beer, but you really don't feel it. I really liked the taste, again, because I love coffee too.
Old 02-09-11, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

I picked up a Rare Bourbon County Stout from Goose Island yesterday. No clue when I will actually drink it.
Old 02-09-11, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Which "rare" variety?
Old 02-09-11, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Goose Island Bourbon County Rare. One of the best barrel aged stout I have ever had. Also quite pricey.

Old 02-09-11, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So rare I didn't even know about it.
Old 02-11-11, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A quick glance at this month's coming attractions...

Old 02-11-11, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Vanilla Porter is really sweet, good for a "dessert beer". Hop Slam is awesome.
Old 02-11-11, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by steebo777 View Post
Goose Island Bourbon County Rare. One of the best barrel aged stout I have ever had. Also quite pricey.

I've had two of those over the past 4 months - the first was to try it, and the second was to see if I liked it. Such a complex beverage - I'm still on the fence as to whether I liked it or not. I mean I get it, but I'm not sure I liked it - it seriously kicked me in the mouth. It's kinda like a fine cigar - you're going to taste it in the morning.....
Old 02-11-11, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
The Vanilla Porter is really sweet, good for a "dessert beer". Hop Slam is awesome.
I can't get behind the vanilla porter.....
Old 02-12-11, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Minor Threat View Post
I can't get behind the vanilla porter.....
Agreed. Love porters, hate vanilla.
Old 02-12-11, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Yes, I have had all of them before except the Smuttynose (which I don't expect to be impressed by, but a friend of mine raves about it) and the Founder's. I couldn't make up my mind about what I wanted to drink four or six of, so I just bought one of everything I was considering.
Old 02-12-11, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey View Post
Agreed. Love porters, hate vanilla.
zactly - that beer just can't figure out what it's supposed to be imho.....
Old 02-12-11, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had this last night - damn good.

Old 02-12-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Minor Threat View Post
zactly - that beer just can't figure out what it's supposed to be imho.....
Had some Smuttynose Robust Porter last night, that's a porter that knows exactly what it wants to be: fricken awesome.
Old 02-12-11, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In February 19th a buddy and I am hosting a Bourbon barrel Stout tasting for friends (about 10). The line up: Splinter Black, Dark Intrigue, East End Homewood Reserve, Rare Bourbon County Stout, Vanilla Bourbon County Stout, Bourbon County Stout (08-10), KBS (08-10), and (even though not a stout) Bourbon Barrel Angel's Share.

I will have pictures.
Old 02-12-11, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Damn. Where do I get an invitation?
Old 02-12-11, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Come to Kalamazoo Next one we are doing is a sour tasting.
Old 02-12-11, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
I'm really getting into sours lately. Funky barnyard beer.
Old 02-12-11, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

On my way.
Old 02-14-11, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've never been much of a drinker. I generally don't like the taste of beer, or alcohol in general. However, I recently was introduced to Woodchuck Cider. I know it's not technically a beer (is it?) and most people would laugh and say that it's hardly drinking in the first place, but I thoroughly enjoy that stuff. The Granny Smith and Raspberry varieties are both awesome. Want to try the Pear, but I can't find it anywhere.
Old 02-14-11, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kory View Post
I've never been much of a drinker. I generally don't like the taste of beer, or alcohol in general. However, I recently was introduced to Woodchuck Cider. I know it's not technically a beer (is it?) and most people would laugh and say that it's hardly drinking in the first place, but I thoroughly enjoy that stuff. The Granny Smith and Raspberry varieties are both awesome. Want to try the Pear, but I can't find it anywhere.
If you liked Woodchuck, you NEED to try Scrumpy's Solstice Cider. Hands down the best cider I have ever had.
Old 02-14-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here are my weekend acquisitions from a run to Binny's, none of which I've had before except for Oat, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Edit: I take that back, I had a bottle of World Wide Stout last year. So deliciously evil at 18% ABV.

Excited to try the 2008 Rogue Imperial Stout in the ceramic bottle. And the Crispin aged in whiskey barrels and unfiltered sounds intriguing.
Old 02-14-11, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh fuck - I just drank my 2008 Rogue Imperial Stout about 2 weeks ago - spot on delicious - drink it now!

Currently enjoying a Boulevard Brewery Smoke Stack Chocolate Ale.....
Old 02-14-11, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Here are my weekend acquisitions from a run to Binny's, none of which I've had before except for Oat, which I thoroughly enjoy.
I am going to be in Chicago end of March/beginning of April for a conference. We should grad a pint.

Also, if you like the Jah-va, you need to try to get your hands on Short's Cup O-Joe Stout.
Old 02-14-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am going to be in Chicago end of March/beginning of April for a conference. We should grad a pint.
I'll meet you at Hopleaf. If you've never been, you definitely need to make it a destination while in Chicago.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.