Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville"

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 02-09-11, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Tried a Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout. I'm not a big fan of Stouts, well, I don't drink them too often, I prefer other tastes. But I gave a chance to this one, since it's from Lagunitas, and it's made with coffee, another of my favorite drinks

So, this is a 8.8% beer, but you really don't feel it. I really liked the taste, again, because I love coffee too.
Old 02-09-11, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

I picked up a Rare Bourbon County Stout from Goose Island yesterday. No clue when I will actually drink it.
Old 02-09-11, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Which "rare" variety?
Old 02-09-11, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Goose Island Bourbon County Rare. One of the best barrel aged stout I have ever had. Also quite pricey.

Old 02-09-11, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So rare I didn't even know about it.
Old 02-11-11, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

A quick glance at this month's coming attractions...

Old 02-11-11, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Vanilla Porter is really sweet, good for a "dessert beer". Hop Slam is awesome.
Old 02-11-11, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by steebo777 View Post
Goose Island Bourbon County Rare. One of the best barrel aged stout I have ever had. Also quite pricey.

I've had two of those over the past 4 months - the first was to try it, and the second was to see if I liked it. Such a complex beverage - I'm still on the fence as to whether I liked it or not. I mean I get it, but I'm not sure I liked it - it seriously kicked me in the mouth. It's kinda like a fine cigar - you're going to taste it in the morning.....
Old 02-11-11, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
The Vanilla Porter is really sweet, good for a "dessert beer". Hop Slam is awesome.
I can't get behind the vanilla porter.....
Old 02-12-11, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Minor Threat View Post
I can't get behind the vanilla porter.....
Agreed. Love porters, hate vanilla.
Old 02-12-11, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Yes, I have had all of them before except the Smuttynose (which I don't expect to be impressed by, but a friend of mine raves about it) and the Founder's. I couldn't make up my mind about what I wanted to drink four or six of, so I just bought one of everything I was considering.
Old 02-12-11, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey View Post
Agreed. Love porters, hate vanilla.
zactly - that beer just can't figure out what it's supposed to be imho.....
Old 02-12-11, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had this last night - damn good.

Old 02-12-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Minor Threat View Post
zactly - that beer just can't figure out what it's supposed to be imho.....
Had some Smuttynose Robust Porter last night, that's a porter that knows exactly what it wants to be: fricken awesome.
Old 02-12-11, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In February 19th a buddy and I am hosting a Bourbon barrel Stout tasting for friends (about 10). The line up: Splinter Black, Dark Intrigue, East End Homewood Reserve, Rare Bourbon County Stout, Vanilla Bourbon County Stout, Bourbon County Stout (08-10), KBS (08-10), and (even though not a stout) Bourbon Barrel Angel's Share.

I will have pictures.
Old 02-12-11, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Damn. Where do I get an invitation?
Old 02-12-11, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Come to Kalamazoo Next one we are doing is a sour tasting.
Old 02-12-11, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
I'm really getting into sours lately. Funky barnyard beer.
Old 02-12-11, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

On my way.
Old 02-14-11, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've never been much of a drinker. I generally don't like the taste of beer, or alcohol in general. However, I recently was introduced to Woodchuck Cider. I know it's not technically a beer (is it?) and most people would laugh and say that it's hardly drinking in the first place, but I thoroughly enjoy that stuff. The Granny Smith and Raspberry varieties are both awesome. Want to try the Pear, but I can't find it anywhere.
Old 02-14-11, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kory View Post
I've never been much of a drinker. I generally don't like the taste of beer, or alcohol in general. However, I recently was introduced to Woodchuck Cider. I know it's not technically a beer (is it?) and most people would laugh and say that it's hardly drinking in the first place, but I thoroughly enjoy that stuff. The Granny Smith and Raspberry varieties are both awesome. Want to try the Pear, but I can't find it anywhere.
If you liked Woodchuck, you NEED to try Scrumpy's Solstice Cider. Hands down the best cider I have ever had.
Old 02-14-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here are my weekend acquisitions from a run to Binny's, none of which I've had before except for Oat, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Edit: I take that back, I had a bottle of World Wide Stout last year. So deliciously evil at 18% ABV.

Excited to try the 2008 Rogue Imperial Stout in the ceramic bottle. And the Crispin aged in whiskey barrels and unfiltered sounds intriguing.
Old 02-14-11, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh fuck - I just drank my 2008 Rogue Imperial Stout about 2 weeks ago - spot on delicious - drink it now!

Currently enjoying a Boulevard Brewery Smoke Stack Chocolate Ale.....
Old 02-14-11, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Here are my weekend acquisitions from a run to Binny's, none of which I've had before except for Oat, which I thoroughly enjoy.
I am going to be in Chicago end of March/beginning of April for a conference. We should grad a pint.

Also, if you like the Jah-va, you need to try to get your hands on Short's Cup O-Joe Stout.
Old 02-14-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am going to be in Chicago end of March/beginning of April for a conference. We should grad a pint.
I'll meet you at Hopleaf. If you've never been, you definitely need to make it a destination while in Chicago.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.