Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 10-24-12, 10:38 AM

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
Looks like we'll be there at some point during the night. I think we're going to center around Lakewood during the night as there is so much going on there Friday night. Have one stop before then. Will probably try to home base there for much of the fun in that area. (Deagan's & Melt also. Although maybe Melt will go by the wayside & WL will replace it.)

You hanging there all night?
Actually, it looks like my plans have changed. I'm an East-Sider and Columbus Brewing tweeted about an event in Willoughby that I didn't previously know about. Among other things, they'll be tapping Barrel Aged Uncle Rusty. That's a beer best drunk close to home, so I may be re-arranging the next couple of days to accommodate it.

I know that many of my friends will be at Rozi's and at WL later for the bowling, so you'll have a fun crowd to hang with. A close friend manages the shop and it's near and dear to all of us. I'm sure you'll have a great time and I'll let you know if I somehow make it over there.
Old 10-24-12, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Aww, that's too bad.

Did you have any of Willoughby's Coffee PBC porter on cocoa nibs? I heard it was amazing. I may call and see if there's any left and try to swing up really quickly.

Last edited by Shamus McAnally; 10-24-12 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Just called & they have some in. I'm leaving in a few.
Old 10-25-12, 11:23 AM

Aww, that's too bad.

Did you have any of Willoughby's Coffee PBC porter on cocoa nibs? I heard it was amazing. I may call and see if there's any left and try to swing up really quickly.
I parked myself at Willoughby all night Tuesday and had several pints. It was like the brewer made that beer exactly for my tastes. Just phenomenal. The Habanero Cosmic IPA cask was also stellar. (Oddly enough, I had a Habanero Bodhi cask last night. These brewers somehow found a way to leave the flavor, but avoid the overpowering heat.)

I'm curious as to who you heard the Cocoa Nib PB Coffee review from. There were only a few people there and I knew most of them. We may have some friends in common!
Old 10-25-12, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Renee View Post
I'm curious as to who you heard the Cocoa Nib PB Coffee review from. There were only a few people there and I knew most of them. We may have some friends in common!
Not from any person, to me anyway, particularly, just reading reviews on my Untappd feed. I think it was Clefoodandbrews.

Picked up a bottle of the Stone collab Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout. I'm going to save it as I might try to pick some up on tap tomorrow night during CBW. Also picked up some Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast. Should be a good weekend, one way or another.
Old 10-25-12, 10:02 PM

Not from any person, to me anyway, particularly, just reading reviews on my Untappd feed. I think it was Clefoodandbrews.

Picked up a bottle of the Stone collab Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout. I'm going to save it as I might try to pick some up on tap tomorrow night during CBW. Also picked up some Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast. Should be a good weekend, one way or another.
Please let me know what you think of the Mint Stout. I'm very interested in trying it, but reviews from friends have been mixed. Some say it's subtle and others say it's very minty. Either way, it seems like something I will enjoy.

Your Untappd comment is pretty fantastic, because Clefoodandbrews is a close friend of mine. Brad will be thrilled to know that you're interested in that beer because of his check-in. He's really passionate about our local scene and our local brewers.
Old 10-25-12, 10:48 PM

I will definitely report back about the Stone collab.

I actually won some tickets from him this past summer off of his blog. Very cool. (Just didn't realize what it was that I was attending, beer-wise. But a stop at Rozi's and Melt on the way home helped tremendously. haha) And he was very gracious/complementary as well.
Old 10-25-12, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Going up to the Dells(Great Wolf Lodge) this weekend with the wife and kid, any recommendations of specific breweries to either go dine at or try and hit up for some purchases to bring home? thx in advance
Old 10-26-12, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Schloob1 View Post
Going up to the Dells(Great Wolf Lodge) this weekend with the wife and kid, any recommendations of specific breweries to either go dine at or try and hit up for some purchases to bring home? thx in advance
If you're into New Glarus & their fruit beers, be sure to grab their two newest releases: Serendipity (750ml Cherry/Apple/Cranberry ale that will be replace Wisconsin Belgian Red this year due to poor cherry crop) & Unplugged series Enigma (red foil topped 4-packs of a tart cherry ale).
Old 10-26-12, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone had Samuel Adams Thirteenth Hour? It's an oak-aged Belgian stout. I'm completely underwhelmed. The bottle warns about the yeast at the bottom of the bottle, but to me the whole damn thing tastes likes yeast. I was careful not to disturb the "sediment," yet it tastes like I gave the bottle a good long shake before I popped the cork. Maybe it's just something that need to age before it's worth a damn.
Old 10-26-12, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Anyone had Samuel Adams Thirteenth Hour? It's an oak-aged Belgian stout. I'm completely underwhelmed. The bottle warns about the yeast at the bottom of the bottle, but to me the whole damn thing tastes likes yeast. I was careful not to disturb the "sediment," yet it tastes like I gave the bottle a good long shake before I popped the cork. Maybe it's just something that need to age before it's worth a damn.
That's disappointing. I have a bottle waiting, but maybe it will have to make it beyond this holiday season, just to be safe.

Thanks for the 'heads up', though.
Old 10-26-12, 12:20 PM

For those in Chicago land area or willing to travel:

http://beerhoptacular.com/
Old 10-26-12, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Schloob1 View Post
Definitely get some New Glarus brews. And visit the town/brewery if you can. Both are awesome.
Old 10-27-12, 12:06 AM

Got to try a few things tonight during Cleveland Beer Week. The Sierra Nevada Narwhal was pretty darned impressive, but the definite highlight of the night was the Three Floyds Moloko milk stout. Amazing beer! Wish we saw more of that and less of some of the many varied IPAs we get.
Old 10-27-12, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Got to try a few things tonight during Cleveland Beer Week. The Sierra Nevada Narwhal was pretty darned impressive, but the definite highlight of the night was the Three Floyds Moloko milk stout. Amazing beer! Wish we saw more of that and less of some of the many varied IPAs we get.
Would love to find Narwhal - haven't seen it around here.

Moloko, on the other hand, I can acquire readily and it is one damn tasty milk stout...
Old 10-28-12, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For any Boston-area folks going to the NERAX festival nest week, the lists of ales/ciders are up:

UK Ales:

http://nerax.org/north/uk-beers.html

US Ales:

http://nerax.org/north/us-beers.html
Old 10-28-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 10-28-12, 07:33 PM

That's disappointing. I have a bottle waiting, but maybe it will have to make it beyond this holiday season, just to be safe.

Thanks for the 'heads up', though.
Update: It was better the 2nd day when I finished off the bottle. I suspect that it might have been very recently put on the shelf when I picked it up, and that the yeast wasn't fully settled yet from all the moving around it had been through. I still say give it month to age, but I think you'll hopefully find it less disappointing than my initial review would have you think.
Old 10-28-12, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Update: It was better the 2nd day when I finished off the bottle. I suspect that it might have been very recently put on the shelf when I picked it up, and that the yeast wasn't fully settled yet from all the moving around it had been through. I still say give it month to age, but I think you'll hopefully find it less disappointing than my initial review would have you think.
Well, I'll hope for that too (and report back). Thanks for the addendum.
Old 10-29-12, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

this is available now...great and cheap. excellent for cellaring.

Old 10-29-12, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
I'm kind of obsessed with Unibroue. This brew is essentially Le Terrible for $4.99.

Over the weekend:
Unibroue Maudite on tap. Belgian style strong ale. One of the greatest beers sold anywhere, IMO. Never had it on tap before, it was amazing.
Sam Adams Dark Depths Smoked Baltic Porter on tap. Really enjoyed this one, great mouthfeel with a hair more hops than usual. Sam Adams' small batch stuff is generally excellent and this one is no different. Better than the very similar Left Hand Fade to Black, IMO.
Breckenridge 471 DIPA on tap. I usually don't like DIPAs as I find them too sweet or too bitter, but this one is fabulously balanced and drinkable. Piney CO hops, not grapefruity West Coast. My favorite DIPA.
Lagunitas DayTime on tap. Similar to New Glarus Moon Man, a delicious, floral-hop session beer. Will be buying gallons of this next summer.
Firestone Walker Reserve Porter in a bomber. Amazing porter that has vaulted to the top of my list. Creamy and rich, but still drinkable by the quart. Perfect fall beer.
Firestone Walker Pale 31 on tap. Hoppy wheat beer from a brewery that can do no wrong, IMO. Great session stuff.
Founders Harvet Ale in a bottle. Sort of like a stronger SNPA. Slightly piney wet hop flavor and robust malts. A bit barnyardy on the yeast, but I like that.
Old 10-29-12, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post

Dang! Ours didn't have that when I was there Friday and stocked up on other stuff. I definitely would have gotten that if it was there. Now I have to trip back up again.

(Of course, after the apocalyptica that is this storm convergence.)
Old 10-30-12, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I get down with the dark ales. Anything by Stone Brewery is the shit.

Arrogant Bastard
Smoked Porter
Smoked Porter with Chili Peppers
Self-Righteous Bastard

Old Rasputin is my go-to beer when I don't have the Bastard. Allagash Black is also tops.

A Stone Brewery store opened up near me and they are rocking some limited edition shit on an almost daily basis. Here were some of this weekend's offerings.

Old 10-30-12, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Old Rasputin is my go-to beer when I don't have the Bastard.
You should check out Bitches Brew Imperial Stout by Dogfish Head. I love Old Rasputin, but I actually like BB better.
Old 10-30-12, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
You should check out Bitches Brew Imperial Stout by Dogfish Head. I love Old Rasputin, but I actually like BB better.
I gotta write that down. I've heard great things about Dogfish Head, but they are really pricey for 4-packs.
Old 10-30-12, 06:43 AM

Latest haul:

Sierra Nevada Narwhal
Sierra Nevada Celebration
Great Divide Yeti
Founders Centennial IPA

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.