Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 08-13-12, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
From the 40 oz. random pic thread:

Anyone tried it?
Yes, people keep buying me this because they're sooo clever. It's a smoked beer with a touch of maple flavor. Unfortunately it's not a particularly good smoked ale so it tastes a bit like dipping burnt bacon in an ash tray.
Old 08-14-12, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Alabama has a new law that went into effect Aug. 1st that finally lets us get 22 oz bottles. There's not a ton available yet (finger crossed for Dogfish Head), but I did manage get some this last weekend:
Old 08-14-12, 05:40 PM

Anyone tried it?
I have. And wish I hadn't. Tastes like burned grease with a hint of maple.
Old 08-14-12, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Alabama has a new law that went into effect Aug. 1st that finally lets us get 22 oz bottles. There's not a ton available yet (finger crossed for Dogfish Head), but I did manage get some this last weekend:
I wouldn't get your fingers crossed yet on DFH... they've had so much demand that they've been dropping states to keep up with demand where they already are... last year they stopped distributing in the UK, Tennessee, Wisconsin, and Indiana so they could shift more beer to their other markets.

Luckily y'all are getting Founders, Bell's, and in the next couple months (from what i've heard) you'll be getting my personal favorite, Lagunitas.

And honestly, while I love Dogfish Head's regulars... some of their beers are just way off target for me, so I wouldn't fret. I'd take Bell's or Founders over them in Texas any day of the freakin' week.

Great Divide is a great brewery though. Not one weak beer in their lineup, IMHO. Chocolate Yeti is probably my favorite 22-oz offering of all time. Let it rest for a year in a cool place and it becomes heavenly.

seekabrew.com is a cool site to see which breweries distribute in your state.

Last edited by RobLutter; 08-14-12 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-15-12, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
A very good beer! I'm aging some to see how it changes, but it was so good, it isn't necessary. You'll enjoy.

Agreed with RobLutter about DFH. Some of their beers (bombers) are good, others just not worth the headache.
Old 08-16-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone tried it?
Disgusting.
Old 08-17-12, 08:55 AM

Yeah, I have not heard good things about that beer.
Old 08-17-12, 10:56 AM

I guess I should respond to my own post.

When it was first released, I bought 3 bombers from Rogue and had them shipped here. With shipping, pretty exorbitant. They were probably as expensive, or more expensive, than the Hoppin Frog bombers about which many like to complain.

When we did our first bomber share after that, I brought it. Between the look of the bomber and how awesome the donut's reviews have been, we were hoping for good things. Definitely something to say you tried, but these last 2 bombers are going to kill me. I'd gladly take back the money and get 2 bombers of HF Naked Evil Belgian Barley Wine.
Old 08-17-12, 08:43 PM

You should try cooking with it. Throw it in with some corned beef and broil it up. Its what my friend ended up doing. Turned out pretty righteous. But this beer is honestly best used to fill a tub in a distiller. :P
Old 08-17-12, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Gilgamesh1082 View Post
You should try cooking with it. Throw it in with some corned beef and broil it up. Its what my friend ended up doing. Turned out pretty righteous. But this beer is honestly best used to fill a tub in a distiller. :P
This is most likely what will happen. There was a brief discussion about seeing what a bit of time did to it, but you can only polish a turd so much.
Old 08-18-12, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is what I was doing today.
Spoiler:

All sours except for Taxman and Cherry Taxman (BA Stouts clocking in round 14ish).

The Bottles were:

Cherry Bomb
5th Dimension
Maillot Jaune
Umami
Umae Umami
Red Molly
Unknown Soldier
33 1/3
Bourbon Barrel Taxman
Bourbon Barrel Cherry Taxman
Old 08-18-12, 11:02 PM

^ Never had a sour, but those BA stouts sound amazing!
Old 08-19-12, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have not had Cherry Taxman, but BA Taxman is amazing at 14 something percent.
Old 08-19-12, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone tried it?
I have, it's not very good. No way I could drink a whole bottle by myself.
Old 08-20-12, 07:42 AM

Anyone tried it?
The very definition of a drainpour. Just gross.
Old 08-20-12, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was at Trader Joes yesterday (the one in Glen Ellyn, Chicagoans) and they have really beefed up their beer selection. I got some Ayinger Jahrhundert and Houblin Chouffe IPA/Tripel, both at really good prices. They had a bunch of other carefully selected stuff as well.

I also got some triple-layer hummus, some pop chips, a box of green tea mochi and a bunch of other stuff.
Old 08-20-12, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Trader Joes usually is solid for craft beer. Their holiday beer is well worth it too as it is brewed by Unibroue.
Old 08-20-12, 10:10 AM

I'm a huge fan of Trader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal Stout, but have purchased/shared some of the bombers there because of the incredible price for a bomber and all have been at least good and some great.

Next trip, I'm definitely going to pick up some Stockyard, but I'll also be trying some new stuff as well.
Old 08-20-12, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Trader Joe's Dunkelweizen is a decent cheap session beer for a hot day.
Old 08-20-12, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by steebo777 View Post
Their holiday beer is well worth it too as it is brewed by Unibroue.
I get a few of those every year. Also, about once a year they get a Unibroue sample pack: one of each Fin du Monde, Maudite, Trois Pistoles and Don de Dieu for $8. I basically clean them out when they have that deal.
Old 08-21-12, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My haul for the week...

Old 08-21-12, 09:54 PM

^ Nice!

Those stouts look [email protected]!
Old 09-07-12, 12:03 AM

Anybody else pick this up and try it/them?

I thought the stout was just OK and the Floral IPA was good.
Old 09-07-12, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Austin hasn't gotten Beer Camp yet, unfortunately.

What I have picked up during the last few weeks:
Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA (first time in TX in 3 years!)
Lagunitas Little Sumpin Wild
New Belgian/Alpine Super IPA
Sixpoint Resin
Southern Star Pro-Am
Stone 16th Anniversary IPA

It's been busy. :-)
Old 09-07-12, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by RobLutter View Post
Austin hasn't gotten Beer Camp yet, unfortunately.

What I have picked up during the last few weeks:
Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA (first time in TX in 3 years!)
Lagunitas Little Sumpin Wild
New Belgian/Alpine Super IPA
Sixpoint Resin
Southern Star Pro-Am
Stone 16th Anniversary IPA

It's been busy. :-)
Very jealous! Wish Ohio would get its head out of its ass and raise the ABV so we could enjoy this more often.

Did you try any of those Jester King stouts you showed in the picture prior to the Beer Camp one? How were they?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.