Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 07-05-12, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Found out I'm very near the Flying Dog brewery. Haven't had their stuff in years. I'll check them out. Any particular suggestions?
I find all their beers outside of their Gonzo Imperial Porter mind-numbingly boring.
Old 07-05-12, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by RobLutter View Post
I find all their beers outside of their Gonzo Imperial Porter mind-numbingly boring.
It varies a bit from year to year, but I typically don't mind the (seasonal) K-9 Winter Ale if the price is right. Otherwise, I agree.
Old 07-05-12, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I recently was able to get some Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA and have to say that it ranks right up there with the best IPAs I've had. I can't compare it to any of the Pliny beers, but I would love to get some more Union Jack and try Double Jack.
Old 07-05-12, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well last night at a bar they had three different ones on tap. Oddly, I thought they were all pretty similar. I'll have to track down the Porter.
Old 07-06-12, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Split a bomber of Life and Limb's second batch with a few friends this evening. Bottled in August, uncorked in July. The alcohol bite that it exhibits in its early-bottled infancy had mellowed, and the coffee/mocha tones had grown richer. Quite nice, though only a meager step or two above a bottle of Dogfish Indian Brown or Terrapin's dark ale, if we're being honest.
Old 07-21-12, 02:05 PM

Had a 4 year-aged Old Ruffian and it was amazing! Thinking I should be headed out to buy some of this year's and see how it ages.
Old 07-21-12, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Drinking this tonight.

Hadn't heard of Southern Tier until I saw this at a local store. It's pretty good.
Old 07-21-12, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been drinking mostly our locals lately. Jester King, ftw!
Old 07-21-12, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stevevt View Post
Drinking this tonight.

Hadn't heard of Southern Tier until I saw this at a local store. It's pretty good.
I'm a big Southern Tier fan. That one's good, but a little too hoppy/bitter for me.
Old 07-21-12, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by stevevt View Post
Drinking this tonight.

Pumking is one of my favorite pumpkin beers. One of the reasons Southern Tier needs to make its' way to Texas!

If any of y'all are on the beeradvocate forums, I talk a lot about beer in their Southwest forums under 'Lutter'. I keep up the label approvals for Texas, which locals might find interestin'.

Last edited by RobLutter; 07-21-12 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-22-12, 09:57 AM

If any of y'all are on the beeradvocate forums, I talk a lot about beer in their Southwest forums under 'Lutter'. I keep up the label approvals for Texas, which locals might find interestin'.
If you're following the thread about BIF Gang Bangs, my husband and friends are the Cleveland crew fools.
Old 07-22-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Enjoyed some 10th Anniversary Stone Ruination on tap the other night, and it was delicious. Pushing 11%, made with a shit-ton of hops. I wanted to live with it in my snifter...
Old 07-24-12, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey View Post
Enjoyed some 10th Anniversary Stone Ruination on tap the other night, and it was delicious. Pushing 11%, made with a shit-ton of hops. I wanted to live with it in my snifter...
Definitely a solid brew!
Old 07-24-12, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My favorite local beer here in Raleigh is Red Oak. It's excellent.
Old 07-25-12, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My girlfriend brought me some beer I can't get in Texas from Chicago that she got while on business there last week. She rules.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale
Goose Island IPA
Goose Island Sofie
Jolly Pumpkin ES Bam
Two Brothers Hop Juice DIPA

I bought her a bunch of Jester King/Mikkeller Drinkin in the Sunbelt
Old 07-25-12, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heading to Canada in a couple weeks...any Canadian exclusives worth trying to find?
Old 07-25-12, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
South Street is actually an establishment: http://www.southstreetnaples.com/

The total wine in Naples is nearby. There is a nice Cigar Bar on Tamiami Trail that has some craft selection. 5th ave is nice, but quite pricey. I hear occasionally about a brewery on Marco Island, but have never been there.

I was born and raise in Naples and got married there about a year and a half ago. I spent mucho time at South Street. Another decent sports bar is Foxboros. It is obviously Boston themed, but some decent beer and drink specials, and the the food is better than average for bar food.
Hey Decadance, I just realized I never thanked you for the advice.

Loved the tip on South Street, I think we went there 2-3 times, each time we went to Clam Pass beach since it's right there. That was a new beach for us too and loved it almost as South Street.

I don't remember any real notable gems, but did enjoy some of my normal favorites on tap for a change like Saison du Buff Dogfish collaboration, Hop Devil etc. The food was also a nice surprise - really good stuff all the way around and they were super nice even though we had an infant that liked tossing food on the floor.

This is going to be a staple for me going forward.
Old 07-26-12, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy View Post
Hey Decadance, I just realized I never thanked you for the advice.

Loved the tip on South Street, I think we went there 2-3 times, each time we went to Clam Pass beach since it's right there. That was a new beach for us too and loved it almost as South Street.

I don't remember any real notable gems, but did enjoy some of my normal favorites on tap for a change like Saison du Buff Dogfish collaboration, Hop Devil etc. The food was also a nice surprise - really good stuff all the way around and they were super nice even though we had an infant that liked tossing food on the floor.

This is going to be a staple for me going forward.
Glad I could help! That place was my oasis in that town the week I was down there preparing the wedding.
Old 07-26-12, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I just had beer tiki drinks..

It was interesting.

I also bought a Hanger 24 Barrel Roll. This cobra shit is nice. 16% ABV goodness.
Old 07-26-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Heading to Canada in a couple weeks...any Canadian exclusives worth trying to find?
Not really. Canada kina sucks for beer unfortunately.
Old 07-26-12, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by steebo777 View Post
Not really. Canada kina sucks for beer unfortunately.
I really really REALLY love Unibroue beers. Especially La Fin du Monde & Trois Pistoles

They're readily available across most of the US though.

LFdM is probably my favorite non-Belgian Belgian beer.
Old 08-02-12, 02:02 AM

If you're partaking of one for IPA Day on Aug. 2, post here what you had.

Not sure yet, but I think I'm going with a Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree and then maybe Three Floyds Dreadnaught.
Old 08-02-12, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Guess I already played as I just had;

Pliny the elder
Alpine Duet
Old 08-03-12, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a Kuhnhenn DRIPA (Double Rice IPA). It was tasty.
Also, a Founders All Day IPA.
Then went over to a friend's place (assistant brewer at The Livery) and drank some home brew barleywine (its kinda like an IPA...)
Old 08-13-12, 07:48 PM

From the 40 oz. random pic thread:

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post

Anyone tried it?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.