Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 05-12-12, 02:55 AM

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by printerati View Post

I'm a big fan of this collaboration between 21st Amendment and Ninkasi. I wasn't sure about the use of dates, but it's a very mild presence, adding just enough sweetness to balance out some of the hops.
I bought 2 4-packs at my Total Wine, they were mislabeled at $3.99! If you haven't had their Monk's Blood I think it's along the same lines and worth checking out.

I just went on a northern California brewery tour for my birthday this week; Sierra Nevada, Anderson Valley Brewing Company, Russian River Brewing, and Lagunitas. Suprisingly, Lagunitas had the best tour, very casual and lots of free beer! If you're up in Northern California I recommend it. (hell, I recommend all of the above, really)

With all the sampling I came to a conclusion. There is a certain strain of hops I can't stand that appears in beers, mostly IPAs. Basically it gives the beer a piney taste. I'm not sure if it's just too many hops added at different phases, but I suspect it's a certain type of hops and I'd love it if any hopheads have any idea what kind of hops produce the piney taste.

Also...Great thread. I assumed it would only be Blue Moon and Shock Top discussion. Instead it's given me a LOT of new beers to consider.
Old 05-12-12, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Its a friends 30th birthday tonight. This is how I am preparing.

Spoiler:
Old 05-12-12, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
Its a friends 30th birthday tonight. This is how I am preparing.

Spoiler:
Love love love Cockeyed Cooper...!
Old 05-12-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by neocheddar02 View Post
With all the sampling I came to a conclusion. There is a certain strain of hops I can't stand that appears in beers, mostly IPAs. Basically it gives the beer a piney taste. I'm not sure if it's just too many hops added at different phases, but I suspect it's a certain type of hops and I'd love it if any hopheads have any idea what kind of hops produce the piney taste.
When I think hoppy, I think "sucking on pine needles", so I know what you mean. That's the main reason I avoid hoppy beers. I guess I'm just a malty kind of man.
Old 05-12-12, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love Citrusy hopes. I love sticking my nose down into a beer, and smelling tropical fruits, grapefruits, etc.

The piney ones usally don't do it for me. I also have learned, I hate the hops that go into Gubna. I get onions. And once I realized what I was tasting/smelling was onions,t he mere taste of them makes me ill.
Old 05-12-12, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is generally how I feel of simcoe hops. All I can ever smell is cat piss. Ruins hopslam for me to this day.
Old 05-12-12, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Boy, there's been quite a bit of action in here since I left yesterday. Having returned from the International Beer Fest, I can say that the trip was an unqualified success.

The way everything was handled was absolutely phenomenal. Easy check-in with all materials. Prompt shuttle, quick check-in at the event, and plenty of room. An unabashed top-notch night!

Got to sample around 20 beers (plus a few more tastes) in the 4 hour session and came away with lots more great breweries to try/look for here in Ohio. I stayed in mostly the stout category, but sampled lots of things. I did find it funny I only had 1 IPA and it wasn't a traditional, but flavored, IPA. I'm already salivating at the chance to book this again for next year. Well done IX Center!
Old 05-12-12, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
Bar Louie doesn't suck for a chain. Decent selection of beer.
Total Wine is where it is at for buying whatever you need.
If you make it down to Naples, go to South Street, pretty good selection, and the only thing in the beer scene in Naples.

There are no breweries in the area, but a short (in Florida) drive to Tampa will get you to Cigar City Brewing, which if the best brewery in Florida by far.
Thanks for the info.

I'll steer clear of Bar Louie - had way to many visits there in 6 years in Chicago.

I'm actually staying in Naples the full week, so if you have specific suggestions let me know otherwise I'll just wonder around and see what I find on South Street - there are worse things.
Old 05-12-12, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy View Post
Thanks for the info.

I'll steer clear of Bar Louie - had way to many visits there in 6 years in Chicago.

I'm actually staying in Naples the full week, so if you have specific suggestions let me know otherwise I'll just wonder around and see what I find on South Street - there are worse things.
South Street is actually an establishment: http://www.southstreetnaples.com/

The total wine in Naples is nearby. There is a nice Cigar Bar on Tamiami Trail that has some craft selection. 5th ave is nice, but quite pricey. I hear occasionally about a brewery on Marco Island, but have never been there.

I was born and raise in Naples and got married there about a year and a half ago. I spent mucho time at South Street. Another decent sports bar is Foxboros. It is obviously Boston themed, but some decent beer and drink specials, and the the food is better than average for bar food.
Old 05-28-12, 11:28 AM

After a few "regular" beers to start off the festivities, we cracked open some craft beer as the night wore on and had an interesting sampling.

First off was the Rogue Yellow Snow IPA; had a pretty floral-ly scent, but not the best taste. Not an overpowering bitter like some IPAs, but strong enough with lack of taste to make it somewhat unforgettable. Next were a pair of Brown Ales; the Mission St. 2012 Anniversary and Boatswain H.L.V Ale. Both were purchased at a Trader Joe's, so expectations weren't necessarily high, but both were good, even tasting very similar. When price was factored in, they became even better! The finale was 1-year old BORIS Royale from Hoppin Frog.

After drinking the 6-month aged version, which morphed in to something so chocolatey and not necessarily devoid of, but lessened whiskey and it was an absolute treat, I was all ready to see how another half year changed it. Oddly enough, last night's taste returned to what it was like originally. Very heavy on the whiskey scent/taste without much hint of chocolate. It was still very good, but the changes in taste of the last 2 were really shocking.

So, what did you guys do with the holiday weekend/beer?
Old 05-28-12, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
Enjoying a Two Brothers Red Eye coffee porter at the moment as I homebrew up a batch of my own St. Oliver's saison. The coffee justifies cracking a bottle early...
Old 05-28-12, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by neocheddar02 View Post
Depends---American IPAs often use Cascade, UK might be Kent Goldings. Basically with beer making, the wort (unfermented raw beer mixture) is boiled for about an hour. As you noted, hops are added at different phases---earlier in the boil and you get the bitterness, late in the boil and you get the hop flavor and aroma. Then you can also do dry-hopping, where hops are added to the fermenting vessel after the boil, which adds more hop flavor. I'm not a big fan of supper-hoppy beers like IPAs myself--it might just be a case (as it is for me) that the sheer amount of the hops is what turns you off. I like the flavor of both Cascade and Kent Goldings when they're used sparingly.

I picked up a 12 pack of Newcastle Summer Ale. It's kind of one of those mass-produced, light bodied and light flavored beers---nothing spectacular, but it did have enough of that English toasted-malty flavor that I found it interesting. I'd probably buy it again if it was cheap (as it was).
Old 05-28-12, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Unfortunately nothing special this year, hopefully Father's Day will be much better Just poured myself some Two Hearted Ale, was hoping to get some Hop Juice since Two Brothers posted Friday on Facebook that they just bottled it but neither TJ's or Binny's has gotten any in yet as of yesterday.
Old 05-29-12, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, nothing too special here, either. I finally tried Rogue's Juniper Pale Ale since I found a local source that sells individual bottles, but I found it a bit dull in every way. I also picked up a 6 of Founder's Red's Rye P.A. (which I quite enjoy) at 20% off from a grocery store that is going out of business, so that was kind of a nice find.

I debated cracking open the Avery Samael's from an early 2007 batch, but I'm still sitting on it for now.
Old 05-30-12, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been enjoying Shift lately. Really great summer, lager, beer, that actually tastes like beer and not water.

Also got some Brew Free! or Die IPA, yeah, hoppy, kind of bitter, but really great taste if you like those kind of beer, it's not heavy 7% or so, so it's good for the summer too.
Old 06-21-12, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

what i'll be participating in this weekend...
Old 06-21-12, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Picked up a few of these this week.

Old 06-21-12, 01:09 PM

Recently tried the SA Porch Rocker. It seems it's a pretty polarizing beer; you either love it or hate it. (I read of soapy or chemical tastes. I didn't get any of that.)

Also had the Sixpoint Apollo. First sip was a wake up call, but after letting it warm and getting used to the taste, I actually enjoyed the tartness of the beer. I think I'll have to get another can or two of this one.
Old 06-21-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Recently tried the SA Porch Rocker. It seems it's a pretty polarizing beer; you either love it or hate it. (I read of soapy or chemical tastes. I didn't get any of that.)
I fall in the middle. I didn't swoon over Porch Rocker, nor hate it.
Like a lot of SA product it's quite drinkable while being especially unremarkable.
Old 06-24-12, 10:20 PM

Had some great beers this weekend, but absolutely fell in love with Fat Head's Goggle Fogger. It's a hefeweizen with so much banana and bubble gum taste that I can only pray that now that Fat Head's has the big production facility that they will bottle it.
Old 06-25-12, 10:23 AM

Had some great beers this weekend, but absolutely fell in love with Fat Head's Goggle Fogger. It's a hefeweizen with so much banana and bubble gum taste that I can only pray that now that Fat Head's has the big production facility that they will bottle it.
I think Fat Heads is still deciding what to do and when to do it. They recently announced plans to bottle Head Hunter and distribute it locally. (It was previously bottled in very limited quantities, but not distributed.) There were also rumors of a canning line, but I've heard that it was scrapped. You may want to email the brewery and let them know that you'd like to see Goggle Fogger bottled!
Old 06-26-12, 09:56 AM

^ I did contact them. Hopefully I'm not the only one and it seems like a profitable idea for them.
Old 06-26-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ I did contact them. Hopefully I'm not the only one and it seems like a profitable idea for them.
I thought putting Oberon in cans was profitable and as good as printing money, but Bell's decided it wasn't a good idea for them right now. Sometimes I don't know what breweries are thinking.
Old 06-26-12, 08:35 PM

^ Well, I'm certainly not sure about my ideas on beer, but from other things (work, specifically), I've learned that if someone has a good idea but isn't from the "food chain", it will be ignored.

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot to mention that I tried Rogue's Morimoto Imperial Pilsner and thought it was fantastic. Wish I could get some to keep on hand for a rainy day.
Old 07-05-12, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Found out I'm very near the Flying Dog brewery. Haven't had their stuff in years. I'll check them out. Any particular suggestions?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.