Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 05-03-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by Schloob1 View Post
WTH!! Never was able to get my hands on it here in the 'burbs of Chicago. There was mention of a second batch coming out but does not look like it happened. Are you in southern Wisconsin perhaps? or just too far away from Chicago to even bother?

Would like to try it at least 1 bottle of this mythical(at least seems that way) drink. Will have to wait until next year though it appears. At least now I know to be on the lookout for it.
I'm near Appleton (just south of GB)...want some? Probably running to the store tomorrow, I'll grab you a sixer if you're interested. Can beer just be shipped regular via UPS/Fedex? (FYI...it's "only" $15 a six pack around here, I was told that's cheap compared to other parts of the country)
Old 05-03-12, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

http://alewatcher.blogspot.com/2010/...ader-tips.html

How to package beer for shipment (yes it is illegal).
Old 05-03-12, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Renee View Post
(And I'd never use the phrase "hot mess" to describe anything else in life. Dark Lord was cloyingly sweet and the alcohol flavor was too in your face. Truly a hot mess.)
It is very, very true. The only one I have ever enjoyed was 2008. 2011 was a pure sugar rush. Disgusting.
Old 05-05-12, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Note to everyone here: Trader Joe's currently has the Unibroue 4 pack for $9 deal they had last year. Maudite, Don De Dieu, Fin Du Monde, Trois Pistoles... that's a murderer's row of good beer. This price is a lot cheaper than these beers usually go for and an easy way to try four of the best Belgian style ales around. I bought two today.

Also, Trader Joe's has started carrying Ayinger Weizenbock (one of the best wheat beers available) at $4 I noticed today. Whoever their beer buyer is, they know their stuff.
Old 05-05-12, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have you ever had Dark Lord? If you have and enjoyed it, then best of luck to you in acquiring this year's vintage! However, if you've never tasted it, I would caution you against spending even $50 on a bottle.
Thanks for the head up. I don't mind a little sweetness, but if it's as bad as you say I'll avoid it for the time being.
Old 05-05-12, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Note to everyone here: Trader Joe's currently has the Unibroue 4 pack for $9 deal they had last year. Maudite, Don De Dieu, Fin Du Monde, Trois Pistoles... that's a murderer's row of good beer. This price is a lot cheaper than these beers usually go for and an easy way to try four of the best Belgian style ales around. I bought two today.

Also, Trader Joe's has started carrying Ayinger Weizenbock (one of the best wheat beers available) at $4 I noticed today. Whoever their beer buyer is, they know their stuff.
Yeah, bought one pack last week. Excellent beer!
Old 05-10-12, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
Thanks for the head up. I don't mind a little sweetness, but if it's as bad as you say I'll avoid it for the time being.
I owuldn't say it is 'bad', I would just say there are alot better Imperial Stouts out there that are easier to get (Bell's Expedition for example).
Old 05-10-12, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ibop View Post
The other day I tried a bottle ($3.50) of Dragons Milk ale...

Now I know what its like to drink bile with 10% alcohol content mixed in.
Not sure what you had, but it wasn't Dragon's Milk. That is pure nectar of the gods. Maybe you got an infected one or something. Or you just don't like barrel aged stouts.
Old 05-10-12, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by steebo777 View Post
Not sure what you had, but it wasn't Dragon's Milk. That is pure nectar of the gods. Maybe you got an infected one or something. Or you just don't like barrel aged stouts.
If thats the "nectar" of the gods,I would hate to see what their piss taste like.
Old 05-10-12, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Redrocker View Post
If thats the "nectar" of the gods,I would hate to see what their piss taste like.
Do you normally drink stout? Dragon's Milk is very popular, and quite palatable. Maybe you got a skunked bottle.
Old 05-10-12, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post

Maybe I just live in strange world... but the gas station near my house has La Fin Du Monde and Trois Pistoles for $10/4-pack... all the time.

I heart La Fin Du Mondo. That's a go-to right there. I love the yummers sediment at the bottom from bottle conditioning.

A favorite stout of mine lately is Left Hand's Wake Up Dead Imperial Stout. Very tasty... 10.2%... bomber is 4.50.

It would be difficult for a 10% ABV beer to be skunked unless it had some crown damage when you bought it. did it hiss when you opened it?

Last edited by RobLutter; 05-10-12 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-10-12, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Do you normally drink stout? Dragon's Milk is very popular, and quite palatable. Maybe you got a skunked bottle.
Oh yea,I drink stouts and to each his own.I know alot of people that like that beer,I just don't care for it.I think it has a very medicinal taste that I don't care for.As far as having a skunked bottle,I have tried it several times from a bottle and 2-3 times on tap and it tasted the same everytime.
Old 05-10-12, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am a ridiculously huge stout fan. (I'd give my left nut to have a house above the Evil Twin brewery.) I will always at least try a stout and, at the very least, be able to say "It's nothing special, but I'd drink it again if I had no other options."

But with that said, I just couldn't get in to Dragon's Milk. (Matter of fact, rather than the nectar of the gods, I'd imagine its taste to be closer to something like the rectum of the gods. But since I can't verify that and mhg83 doesn't peek in this thread to ask him, I'll admit my assessment could be a little off.) I've had it twice, once from a bottle and one from a tap, and I did not enjoy it either time. (I think that eliminates the "skunked" bottle theory.) To me, it didn't even remotely have a "stout" taste or I'm sure I'd like it.

I wrote so much because I do know that so many people do love it. For those that like it, more power to you. You can have my share. haha

PS - The IX Beerfest is this weekend in Cleveland. While I don't have VIP credentials at this one, I'm still hoping to grab some great beers to report back on later this weekend/next week.
Old 05-10-12, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RobLutter View Post
the gas station near my house has La Fin Du Monde and Trois Pistoles for $10/4-pack... all the time.
I've usually seen it for $13/4 here in Chicago. We get ripped! Still, it's a good way to get four of their best beers.
Old 05-11-12, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well misnomer #1 Dragon's Milk is not a stout. It is an American Strong Ale. Night Tripper is New Holland's Stout.
Old 05-11-12, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
You're not kidding. That is the only beer of theirs I have tried that wasn't completely forgettable, and not in a good way. I feel the same way about Mt. Carmel's stuff, too. I'm not sure what our problem is in the southwest corner (as far as breweries go, anyway).
It was worth tasting, only because of the Untappd comments from friends who had also tried the beer because of the reputation of Rivertown's Lambic:

How did they know what Ryan's post- marathon sock sweat would taste like?!

The "vomit-aftertaste" they are obviously going for is not lost on me.

Cincinnati really wants to embrace their German brewing traditions and I admire that. However, bigger beers are what the US market currently demands. I'd love to see some of the brewers mix it up a bit and offer traditional German session ales alongside some experimental modern brews. Then again, I'm not sure that's what the majority of the local market demands? People I've met in Cincinnati mostly seem to want their lagers, with the obvious exception of craft beer advocates.
Old 05-11-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Then again, I'm not sure that's what the majority of the local market demands? People I've met in Cincinnati mostly seem to want their lagers, with the obvious exception of craft beer advocates.
I fully admit to not being in tune with the local market. The "new" Moerlein stuff apparently sells well enough to be a permanent fixture on the shelves at both Kroger and Meijer, but all of those brews are relatively safe. As far as lagers go, there was some excitement (in the media, anyway) about the return of Burger and Hudepohl, but I personally don't know anyone who drinks them. Judging by availability at both markets and restaurants, Yuengling remains the recent darling in that category.

My complaint was more directed towards how boring most of the local breweries are. Considering the amount of stuff we have available to us in the state, I would like to see more of an effort from them to set themselves apart, but it probably makes a lot more economic sense to play it safe and stick to the "standards" for the most part.
Old 05-11-12, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
I fully admit to not being in tune with the local market. The "new" Moerlein stuff apparently sells well enough to be a permanent fixture on the shelves at both Kroger and Meijer, but all of those brews are relatively safe. As far as lagers go, there was some excitement (in the media, anyway) about the return of Burger and Hudepohl, but I personally don't know anyone who drinks them. Judging by availability at both markets and restaurants, Yuengling remains the recent darling in that category.

My complaint was more directed towards how boring most of the local breweries are. Considering the amount of stuff we have available to us in the state, I would like to see more of an effort from them to set themselves apart, but it probably makes a lot more economic sense to play it safe and stick to the "standards" for the most part.
I often have to remind myself that my circle of friends is not even close to being representative of the community at large. Most of my friends are either "foodies," very into supporting local, overall healthy living, natural products, or are craft beer freaks. Of course, some of them are into all of those things and they are a natural fit together. And, it doesn't help that I tend to hang out in places that cater to those choices and avoid places that do not!

When I visit Cincinnati, it's because of step-family. So, I see their friends and co-workers and neighbors. My stepmother has lived in the area for her entire life, so Burger is a favorite beer. She also has German roots and tends not to truly like beer. Their tastes are pretty pedestrian overall, but they do tend to support local brewers and distillers and go with the safe, boring choices.

It took Great Lakes Brewing a great deal of time to start making interesting beers and most of those are still offered as brewery exclusives. My group makes a point to taste those, while most of the country pisses themselves with excitement over their Christmas Ale. Hopefully, once the Cincinnati brewers have more cash reserves and more of a loyal following, they'll start brewing some interesting beers? (I realize that some of those brands have been around a while, but weren't actually brewing in Ohio.) At least, that's what I hope will happen!

Our "Session" focused local brewery recently announced plans to open a nano brewpup a few doors down. Many of us were disappointed when Andy Tveekram left Dogfish Head to open a Cleveland brewery, only to learn that their beers would be low ABV, "safe" choices. However, Market Garden Brewery has been a huge success overall, despite being mostly ignored by the local craft beer geeks. I'm optimistically hopeful that this new nano brewery will meet our initial excitement and expectations for Market Garden.
Old 05-11-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
Well misnomer #1 Dragon's Milk is not a stout. It is an American Strong Ale. Night Tripper is New Holland's Stout.
Stouts are ales.
Old 05-11-12, 03:15 PM

Stouts are ales.
Yes, but not all Strong Ales are Stouts. (This could turn into a Who's On First routine!)
Old 05-11-12, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, but not all Strong Ales are Stouts. (This could turn into a Who's On First routine!)
Thank you Renee.

An American Strong Ale is much more akin to an Old Ale or a Barleywine. No (educated) soul has ever confused a Old Ale with a Stout (any style of stout, RIS, Irish Dry, Smoked, etc)
Old 05-11-12, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Drinking this right now:

Really enjoying it. I give it 8.5 thumbs up out of 10.
Old 05-11-12, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hey boozebags

Not to take this off topic, but it's Beer related.

Does anybody have any recommended places around the Fort Myers, FL area. Bars, liquor stores, breweries whatever works - going to be down there on vacation and will be looking to burn some time and money....

Thanks
Old 05-11-12, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bar Louie doesn't suck for a chain. Decent selection of beer.
Total Wine is where it is at for buying whatever you need.
If you make it down to Naples, go to South Street, pretty good selection, and the only thing in the beer scene in Naples.

There are no breweries in the area, but a short (in Florida) drive to Tampa will get you to Cigar City Brewing, which if the best brewery in Florida by far.
Old 05-12-12, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
Thank you Renee.

An American Strong Ale is much more akin to an Old Ale or a Barleywine. No (educated) soul has ever confused a Old Ale with a Stout (any style of stout, RIS, Irish Dry, Smoked, etc)
Go ahead and type "Dragon's m" into Google, and tell me what the second most searched for term is.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.