Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 04-26-12, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Traded one of my bottles of 512 for DFH Pearl Jam 20 and 4 bottles of Bells Hop Slam with my dad when he visited from Florida.

Still searching for more.
Old 04-26-12, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Not a growler, a jug. It's what they call pitchers here.
Old 04-27-12, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by RobLutter View Post
Traded one of my bottles of 512 for DFH Pearl Jam 20 and 4 bottles of Bells Hop Slam with my dad when he visited from Florida.

Still searching for more.
You're looking for more Hopslam and DFH Faithfull?
Old 04-27-12, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Renee View Post
You're looking for more Hopslam and DFH Faithfull?
More 512 Pecan Porter... although right now it's Jester King/Mikkeller Beer Geek Rodeo I'm pining for locally.
Old 04-27-12, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still plenty of Hopslam at my local places here in WI...I've been going through a sixer every week for the last couple months. Kinda starting to get sick of it though, to be honest.
Old 04-27-12, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by RobLutter View Post
More 512 Pecan Porter... although right now it's Jester King/Mikkeller Beer Geek Rodeo I'm pining for locally.
Damn, I guess I read into that what I was hoping it said.
Old 04-28-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Damn, I guess I read into that what I was hoping it said.
I was already marking off destinations too. haha

Went to PGH for the next to last day of their craft beer week again yesterday. Finally got to try DFH World Wide Stout and 120 Minute. As big a stout fan as I am, I wasn't massively impressed. The 120 Minute, however, boy was that good. So pissed we don't get it here in OH.
Old 04-28-12, 01:56 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The other day I tried a bottle ($3.50) of Dragons Milk ale...

Now I know what its like to drink bile with 10% alcohol content mixed in.
Old 04-28-12, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ibop View Post

Blasphemy.
Old 04-28-12, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by ibop View Post

I hear you. I know there is immense love for this brew, but I just couldn't find anything lovable about it when I tried it and haven't been back since. (This one alone makes me put New Holland towards the bottom of the list of Michigan brewers, although I've only had a few of their beers. I definitely have Dark Horse and Founders higher.)
Old 04-28-12, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The New Belgium Brewery (the guys that make Fat Tire) recently put out SHIFT PALE LAGER. It's only available in cans at the moment, but damn is that some tasty beer.
Old 05-01-12, 09:59 PM

This weekend, got to try some new Dark Horse stuff. (Well, new to me, anyway.) Their One Oatmeal Stout is maybe my number 2 (or even 1A) stout and the Plead the 5th RIS was one of the more impressive RI stouts I recall enjoying.

Between these and the 120 Minute last Friday, it was a GREAT weekend..
Old 05-02-12, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bourbon Plead the 5th is pure insanity.
Old 05-02-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got a pleasant surprise last friday when I walked into my local pub and saw that they had Goose Island IPA on tap. So glad to see GI finally available in NJ
Old 05-02-12, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
The 120 Minute, however, boy was that good. So pissed we don't get it here in OH.
You need a friend who makes regular road trips to Chicago.
Old 05-02-12, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
You need a friend who makes regular road trips to Chicago.
I just need friends in general, but one that regularly makes trips ANYWHERE there's beer I can't get would be primo.
Old 05-02-12, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 05-02-12, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Someone already drank a Heady Topper.
Old 05-02-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Still plenty of Hopslam at my local places here in WI...I've been going through a sixer every week for the last couple months. Kinda starting to get sick of it though, to be honest.
WTH!! Never was able to get my hands on it here in the 'burbs of Chicago. There was mention of a second batch coming out but does not look like it happened. Are you in southern Wisconsin perhaps? or just too far away from Chicago to even bother?

Would like to try it at least 1 bottle of this mythical(at least seems that way) drink. Will have to wait until next year though it appears. At least now I know to be on the lookout for it.
Old 05-02-12, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
I'm guessing someone also drank some Dark Lord or just barely missed the festivities!
Old 05-03-12, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
actually the trade was only for 6 - the 7th was a bonus. i did manage to drink one last night along with a zombie dust. both were amazing. zombie dust is probably my new favorite beer.
Old 05-03-12, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really want to buy a bottle of Dark Lord, but the prices on eBay are freaking ridiculous. Hell, I'd be willing to spend $50, but with shipping all the auctions are probably more like $80+.
Old 05-03-12, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
I really want to buy a bottle of Dark Lord, but the prices on eBay are freaking ridiculous. Hell, I'd be willing to spend $50, but with shipping all the auctions are probably more like $80+.
Have you ever had Dark Lord? If you have and enjoyed it, then best of luck to you in acquiring this year's vintage! However, if you've never tasted it, I would caution you against spending even $50 on a bottle.

I've had 2 different versions of regular Dark Lord and hated both of them. I've never before been so disappointed with a hyped beer. In fact, the 2011 vintage was a drain pour for us at a small tasting of 5 people. Admittedly, we saved it for the finale beer and the sweetness was just too much for us at that point. We may not have poured it if we'd tried it earlier in the evening. However, I doubt we would have enjoyed it, regardless of when we opened the bottle. We rarely drain pour beers that aren't infected, old or have had storage issues. The only other recent drain pour on taste alone was Rivertown Pestilence.

I will say that the variations I've tasted are incredible! Somehow, even the addition of vanilla balanced out the hot mess that was the base beer. (And I'd never use the phrase "hot mess" to describe anything else in life. Dark Lord was cloyingly sweet and the alcohol flavor was too in your face. Truly a hot mess.)

I have friends that go to Dark Lord Day just to enjoy the bottle sharing, trades and festival atmosphere. They buy the bottles, but mostly to trade for other whales on their wish list.
Old 05-03-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Still guzzling bottles of Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel. Dark, translucent Munich lager. All malt, almost no hops. Can't get enough, unfortunately not that cheap ($4 / half liter) but worth every penny.

Also drinking:
Petrus Aged Pale which is an oustanding sour ale. Also a pretty good deal at $8 a bomber.
Allagash Black, one of my personal favorite beers, sort of a dark tripel. Lots of Belgian yeast with porter roasted malts. Really nice stuff, reminds me a bit of Trois Pistoles.

..other random leftovers mixed in.
Old 05-03-12, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only other recent drain pour on taste alone was Rivertown Pestilence.
You're not kidding. That is the only beer of theirs I have tried that wasn't completely forgettable, and not in a good way. I feel the same way about Mt. Carmel's stuff, too. I'm not sure what our problem is in the southwest corner (as far as breweries go, anyway).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.