Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 04-13-12, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

So, the event went quite well, with some treats I didn't even know were making an appearance.
The rep from GI, Kris, brought in a 2006, 2007, 2009, and 2010 BCS. I happened to have a 2008 and a Rare, and another friend brought a Vanilla.

Very,very happy my wife was there to drive me home.
Old 04-15-12, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Went to the annual NERAX festival yesterday---beer lover's heaven:

"NERAX 2012 will be our 16th Festival. In 2012, we expect to serve over 100 firkins of Real Ale and Cider, comprised of over 50 British beers from England, Scotland, and Wales; and over 50 American beers, mostly from New England. All the beers are cask-conditioned, served by gravity or hand-pump. We are also adding a special session featuring small brewers on Thursday afternoon."

I mostly stuck with the UK beers, as there's not many other chances to get them cask-conditioned over here. Here's the list they had:

http://www.nerax.org/index.php/nerax/uk-beers.html

Interesting thing is the cross-pollination between US and UK brewers. Of course, US brewers have been making UK-style ales since the microbrew wave began, but now you're starting to see some UK brewers making American micro-style ales, particularly with the use of Cascade hops.

The cask-conditioned stuff is so awesome. Served at about 50 degrees, and with very little carbonation.
Old 04-15-12, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 04-15-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up some choice older bottles this weekend at a bottle shop down in Corpus Christi where the owner has way more patience than me...

2x 2010 Real Ale Siysyphus
Dogfish/Sierra Nevada Life and Limb 2 (now I can drink my L&L1... whee!)
2011 Great Divide Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti
Stone 14th Anniversary Empirical IPA
Old 04-15-12, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

best beer I have had this year is the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale. Goddam that is good. hops and malts enough to knock you on your butt.
Old 04-16-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
best beer I have had this year is the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale. Goddam that is good. hops and malts enough to knock you on your butt.
Solid brew for sure, but not too hoppy IMO. I love hop bombs though.
Old 04-16-12, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it's well balanced, I don't think it's too hoppy either. But it's got 90 IBUs, which is definitely up there, higher than their regular IPA for ex, and higher than most regular IPAs. For a beer that isn't a true IPA (often called a black IPA), that's a lot. But it doesn't hop-blast you, which I like.
Old 04-16-12, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I may be late to the party here, but I had a Dogfish Head Burton Baton today and it was up there in the probably top 5-10 IPAs I've had. Really enjoyed and looking forward to another one.
Old 04-17-12, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Meet the (512) Whiskey Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter dream team...

Play this for effect...

Each bottle is individually sealed with wax and numbered (out of 2500 bottles covering Austin, Houston, Dallas/Ft Worth, & San Antonio).

This is just about as exciting as local beer releases get around here. I was literally at South Lamar Wine & Spirits 5 minutes after (512) tweeted they had dropped off 5 cases and there was already another person there and hoardes coming in while we waited for it to go into the system. If it wasn't $17/bottle, I might've bought a case! lol.

Now if only we could get them a bottling line so I could pick up (512) IPA in 6-packs at HEB. I believe they hand bottled all these.

Last edited by RobLutter; 04-17-12 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-17-12, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RobLutter View Post
Meet the (512) Whiskey Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter dream team...
Anything you would like for a bottle?
Old 04-17-12, 09:58 PM

Seriously RobLutter. I've never traded before, but I'd be willing to trade/find something to get one of those.

If you have the capability and desire to do so, please IM.
Old 04-17-12, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since there's a lot more to go around this year and I live within 2 miles of both South Lamar Wine and Spirits and Whip In, I'll try to pick up some more when I see it distributed. 512 self distributes and usually twitters where they are making deliveries.
Old 04-18-12, 01:30 PM

Since there's a lot more to go around this year and I live within 2 miles of both South Lamar Wine and Spirits and Whip In, I'll try to pick up some more when I see it distributed. 512 self distributes and usually twitters where they are making deliveries.
I would also be interested in trading for a bottle!
Old 04-18-12, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, please let me know via PM, I am sure I can make you pleased.
Old 04-18-12, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LOL. I'll try, no promises. . They released more today, but not in my part of town. It's now a full on feeding frenzy.
Old 04-18-12, 08:03 PM

LOL. I'll try, no promises. . They released more today, but not in my part of town. It's now a full on feeding frenzy.
Thanks! Very appreciative of you even trying.
Old 04-22-12, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 04-22-12, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Had a bottle of Saison myself and thought it was decent. How much did that cost you, picked it up at Binny's for less than $3 and was shocked when I saw it at Whole Food's for $6 a bottle.
Old 04-22-12, 11:05 AM

Went to the Big Tap In 3 yesterday. Had VIP tix and quite thankful I did; the general session was either way oversold, it was just ridiculously too small in the venue, or (most likely) both. I did more drinking in the first 2 hours (VIP) than the last 3 hours (general), which would probably be fairly normal, other than it was a HUGE disparity.

Had more Evil Twin Soft Dookie; what a great beer! There were a few that I was so glad were samples and not full bottles. Anyone ever had the Blue Moon Peanut Butter Ale? I love me some peanut butter, but other than being the consistency of an ale, this was like drinking peanut butter you just warmed/melted. It was cool to have tried, but even the sample got old after a few sips. Couldn't imagine drinking a bottle of that, were one to exist. (Don't know about that; didn't ask or look.)
Old 04-23-12, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Schloob1 View Post
Had a bottle of Saison myself and thought it was decent. How much did that cost you, picked it up at Binny's for less than $3 and was shocked when I saw it at Whole Food's for $6 a bottle.
$2.49/bottle
Old 04-24-12, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a big fan of this collaboration between 21st Amendment and Ninkasi. I wasn't sure about the use of dates, but it's a very mild presence, adding just enough sweetness to balance out some of the hops.

This one, meh. It's certainly drinkable, and has a nice aroma, but there is just too much honey and orange blossom going on for something with so little body. I might have been better off saving a few bucks by buying a 6 of orange cream soda instead.
Old 04-25-12, 10:27 PM

It's not a big name or anything, but I just had the Joe Coffee Porter from Philadelphia Brewing Co. and I absolutely love it! I will definitely find some more because that was just too good to not have again and soon.

The split second you taste it, it's phenomenal coffee flavor, then turns slightly bitter, and then finishes great. If you're a fan of the type, or even just coffee, I would give it a shot.
Old 04-26-12, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's about as anti-microbrew as you can get, but I finally had Toohey's New here (for only $10 a jug!) and it was a surprisingly drinkable beer for how cheap it was.

It's the default lager around here.
Old 04-26-12, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
(for only $10 a jug!)

http://craftypint.com/features/post/...ling-stations/
Old 04-26-12, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Any Dark Lord Day 2012 attendees in this thread?

I'll be there on Saturday - even with the shitty weather forecast
This will be number 3 for me. Find me and I'll share a hearty brew with you....

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.