Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 01-05-11, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

During the Buckeyes game tonight, the bar ran out of Coors Light on tap (and there was no way I was going to drink that swill Bud or Bud Light ), rather than getting just a bottle of CL, I got a Sierra Nevada pale ale and, as much as I'm not a pale ale fan (although, that might just be IPAs because it seems like those are the ones I've tried), while I didn't necessarily love it, I didn't hate it either. (Which, for ME, is a big step.)

In a related question, has anyone tried the Vanilla Porter that's out on the market. (I really don't even remember a brand name.) I made a loaf of beer bread for a Christmas Eve party and when I saw that, I thought, "That has to be a great brew for the bread." (I was right as evidenced by how quickly it was eaten/the comments.) My question is: has anyone tried it/one? I'm thinking it has to be a pretty good beer too.

Also, I got invited to this and I think I'm going to go: http://bigtapin.com/
Old 01-05-11, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Give Bitches Brew or Chateau Jiahu a try.
Old 01-05-11, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
During the Buckeyes game tonight, the bar ran out of Coors Light on tap (and there was no way I was going to drink that swill Bud or Bud Light ), rather than getting just a bottle of CL, I got a Sierra Nevada pale ale and, as much as I'm not a pale ale fan (although, that might just be IPAs because it seems like those are the ones I've tried), while I didn't necessarily love it, I didn't hate it either. (Which, for ME, is a big step.)

In a related question, has anyone tried the Vanilla Porter that's out on the market. (I really don't even remember a brand name.) I made a loaf of beer bread for a Christmas Eve party and when I saw that, I thought, "That has to be a great brew for the bread." (I was right as evidenced by how quickly it was eaten/the comments.) My question is: has anyone tried it/one? I'm thinking it has to be a pretty good beer too.

Sounds like you might be talking about Breckenridge Vanilla Porter. I've tried the beer, but haven't made beer bread in a very long time. I've never made it with a porter. Sounds interesting.

I must read something about Vintage Estates like once a week. I gotta check that place out. The festival sounds amazing!
Old 01-05-11, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton View Post
Give Bitches Brew or Chateau Jiahu a try.
After Brewmaster's began airing, we noticed these beers became more difficult to find. I have a single bottle of Bitches Brew in the fridge, but it's tough to locate on retail shelves.
Old 01-05-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FWIW, from the Mercury News:

Bay Area’s ‘best of’ brews from 2010

The past year was a great one for craft beer, with many amazing new entries — but it wouldn’t be fair to tease you with a top 10 list that includes wonderful finds unavailable here. To me, one of the great joys of beer is sharing them with friends. So this “best of” list features my favorite new beers available in the greater Bay Area in a variety of styles and from a variety of breweries.

10. Sierra Nevada Tumblr Autumn Brown Ale: While brown ales may not be considered exciting beers these days, this new seasonal proved that they can be delicious everyday beers and perfect for cooler weather. It’s been a long time since I’d tried a brown ale this good. Released as an Autumn seasonal, I hope this beer becomes an annual event because it’s a truly great beer.

9. Lost Abbey Deliverance:

A classic case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts: The Lost Abbey Brewery took its delicate Angel’s Share (a brandy barrel-aged beer) and Serpent’s Stout (aged in bourbon barrels) and blended them to create the wonderful Deliverance.

8. Lagunitas Lil Sumpin’ Wild Ale: Lagunitas’ eccentric brewing alchemists took their Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’, a wheat beer made from three different wheat malts, and added Belgian yeast from Westmalle to create gold, in this case a golden-colored Belgian Strong Pale Ale.

7. Deschutes Red Chair NWPA: Originally part of Deschutes’ Bond Street Series of beers made at their Bend, Ore., brewpub in small batches, the Red Chair Northwest Pale Ale proved so popular that last January it became their Winter seasonal, available in sixpacks for just the first three months of the year. It also won world’s best pale ale at the World Beer Awards, for which I was privileged to judge the first round of North American beers.

6. Marin E. S. Chi: One of the most unusual new beers of 2010 was Marin Brewing’s E. S. Chi, an herbal beer brewed in collaboration with San Anselmo herbalist Dr. Yen-Wei Choong, who runs the Yellow Emperor Natural Healing Center and Zen Garden.

Brewmaster Arne Johnson started with his E.S.B. as the base beer, then added 38 pounds of Choong’s proprietary mix of Chinese herbs.

5. Brouwerij De Ryck’s Arend Tripel: Brewer Anne De Ryck, of Brouwerij de Ryck, a third-generation family brewery, is one of Belgium’s few female brewers.

“I don’t think a man can make that beer,” says Moonlight Brewery’s Brian Hunt.

“Her beers have a grace that I haven’t found in others.”

And it is a beautiful beer, soft and subtle, with some beautifully delicate flavors. It may simply be the best tripel you’ve never heard of. It’s not new per se, but it’s new to America, thanks to San Francisco-based Waterloo Imports.

4. Shmaltz Lenny’s RIPA on Rye: He’Brew took its already terrific Bittersweet Lenny’s R.I.P.A. (Rye India Pale Ale) — named for wry comedian Lenny Bruce — and aged it in rye whiskey barrels, making it even more delicious in the process.

3. 21st Amendment Back in Black IPA: 2010 was the year that Black IPAs were ready for their closeup, and none more so than 21st Amendment’s Back in Black, named for the song by Australian metal band AC/ DC. It’s a hoppy IPA with rich toffee character that gives it a distinctive synergy of flavors that is exactly what this emerging style is all about, a mélange of hop bitterness and roasted malt.

2. Firestone Walker Parabola: I’m starting to think brewmaster Matt “Batman” Brynildson has the Midas touch, because every beer he makes is gold. Though decidedly not golden in color, his Parabola — a Russian Imperial Stout — was finally bottled last year. Before that, it was only available at the brewery’s tasting room. It was aged in a variety of new and used barrels, giving it a complexity and depth of flavor that’s nothing short of amazing.

1. Sierra Nevada’s 30th Anniversary series: To celebrate its 30th anniversary this year, Sierra Nevada Brewing made four special collaboration beers with notable craft beer pioneers.

While all four are worth seeking out, I must confess my favorites are Fritz & Ken’s Imperial Stout and a black barley wine — Jack & Ken’s Ale — made with Jack McAuliffe, founder of New Albion Brewery, America’s first modern microbrewery, which brewed beer in Sonoma from 1977-83.

It’s worth mentioning a few others that just missed the cut: Stone Brewing’s Lukcy Basartd (no, that’s not a typo. It’s an anniversary blend of Arrogant Bastard, Oaked Arrogant Bastard and Double Bastard), Dogfish Head Bitches Brew (a great blended beer released, sadly, in too-limited quantities) and Russian River Pliny the Elder 2010 (which also ran out faster than in any previous year). Here’s hoping those beers and many more will make your 2011 a hoppy new year.
Old 01-05-11, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Renee View Post
Sounds like you might be talking about Breckenridge Vanilla Porter. I've tried the beer, but haven't made beer bread in a very long time. I've never made it with a porter. Sounds interesting.

I must read something about Vintage Estates like once a week. I gotta check that place out. The festival sounds amazing!
That name does sound familiar Renee. It might just be Breckenridge. (I was right down the road from a place that carried it and it never occurred to me to go check.) I never even thought about what might be a "good" beer for a bread, but the vanilla made me think it would work well. Glad I wasn't wrong! That could have been embarrassing.

I've one been to Vintage twice, but for beer (and wine) aficionados, it must be heaven. (I have a few friends that swear by the place, whether they live close by or have a little drive.) But, if you're into different beers, it's a pretty incredible deal, I suppose. (Although, and maybe this is standard practice at this type of joint, they charge an "opening fee" or something like that. You have to pay, I believe, $1.50 for 14oz and below, $2.50 for 22 oz and up. Or something like that. Seems crazy to me, but if that's SOP, I'm sure it isn't horrible.)
Old 01-05-11, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post

Bet you $20 you couldn't tell the difference between a Coors Light or Bud Light in a blind taste test.
Old 01-05-11, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by jmu878 View Post
Bet you $20 you couldn't tell the difference between a Coors Light or Bud Light in a blind taste test.
Considering I've subsisted on Coors Light for so many years, I highly doubt that, but next time I'm out, I'll take one and let you know the results.
Old 01-07-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Big props to Founders for winning the Beer Advocate best brewery bracket. It was tallied by fellow BA members, and here's the breakdown of the whole bracket:
http://tinyurl.com/258hty5

Here's the post of the results:
http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/3349188

Even bigger props to Michigan for taking 1st and 2nd with Founder's and Bell's! You'll notice a lot of west coast people complaining that it was rigged or that Russian River was robbed of the title, but the people voted. Can't wait to hit Founder's this weekend with my wife (Hop Cat as well). Cheers!
Old 01-07-11, 12:28 PM

I could...Budweiser has a distinct flavor.

Last edited by covenant; 01-07-11 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-07-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by steebo777 View Post
Big props to Founders for winning the Beer Advocate best brewery bracket. It was tallied by fellow BA members, and here's the breakdown of the whole bracket:
http:///258hty5

Here's the post of the results:
http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/3349188

Even bigger props to Michigan for taking 1st and 2nd with Founder's and Bell's! You'll notice a lot of west coast people complaining that it was rigged or that Russian River was robbed of the title, but the people voted. Can't wait to hit Founder's this weekend with my wife (Hop Cat as well). Cheers!
Steebo, have you heard about Kalamazoo beer week? Starting Monday, during the Michigan Brewers Guild meeting downtown, the breweries are taking over area bars along with tasting at signing events at the local shops.

http://www.mlive.com/kalamabrew/inde...ill_featu.html
Old 01-10-11, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
Steebo, have you heard about Kalamazoo beer week? Starting Monday, during the Michigan Brewers Guild meeting downtown, the breweries are taking over area bars along with tasting at signing events at the local shops.

http://www.mlive.com/kalamabrew/inde...ill_featu.html
Yeah, but work is insane this week, so I have to do my drinking in Detroit instead. At least Hopslam hits this week!!!

Old 01-10-11, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Had one on tap at Bell's this evening (and bought a mini-keg for trade!).
Old 01-11-11, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ Jealous
Old 01-14-11, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Enjoyed some Hopslam on tap tonight. Good stuff, baby.
Always makes January a little less chilly...

Old 01-14-11, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What? They taste completely different.
Old 01-16-11, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bought a six of Raging Bitch and really enjoying it. I also got more Little Sumpin, still looking for some wild.
Old 01-16-11, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Recent beers:

Really, really good:
Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza- sour biere de garde with almost champagne like carbonation and seriously funky wild yeast flavors. Insane beer.
Two Brothers Northwind Stout- a very nice stout made here in the Chicago burbs. I had it at the brewery fresh from the tank. Excellent.
Two Brothers Ebel Weiss - I've had this before, but this is a truly great domestic wheat beer with those wacky banana flavors in spades. Very cloudy and rough hewn. Dangerously chuggable.
Bear Republic Red Rocket - a red ale that tastes a bit like a west coast IPA. It tastes like a maltier version of one of my favorite beers- BR's Racer 5. Really interesting beer.

Pretty good:
Trader Joe's Vintage Ale - Unibroue-produced Trappist style ale. Pretty damned good and definitely worth the $5 per 750ml. Spicy and complex. Not really as good as Chimay, but that's a tall mountain to climb.
Lost Coast 8 Ball Stout - very highly rated stout that I found just OK. Still, very solid stuff.
Allagash White - the Allagash Black I got for Christmas is one of my current favorites, but this one was just ... eh. Like a slightly classier version of Blue Moon without the heavy orange flavor. If you want an authentic witbier, you could do a lot worse.
Budweiser American Ale - holy crap, real flavor from Bud! A nice pale ale with a bit of hops and malt, similar to SNPA or Pete's Wicked. This is easily the best beer A-B currently makes (that I've had). It's really pretty good and a lot cheaper than some craft stuff that's not as good. Well done, A-B.

Won't buy again:
Bosteels Tripel Karmelite - a very passable tripel that costs a fortune and isn't worth it. More proof for me that domestic craft brew is the way to go these days. I'll stick with Ommegang's Three philosophers...
Two Brothers Domaine Du Page - again, had it fresh from the tanks and it didn't impress me at all. Tastes a bit like a domestic macro, nothing special.

On deck:
Breckenridge Vanilla Porter - looking forward to this one.

Last edited by Hiro11; 01-17-11 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-16-11, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Went to my favorite beer bar on Saturday and had the following:

Rigeway Brewing Santa's Butt A- Best beer of the night!

Corsendonk Christamas Ale B Usually I don't like holiday beers but this one was pretty good.

Ithaca Cold Front C Another one that tasted like an Evergreen tree but not as bad as "Brrrr"

Chimay White B Not bad but not worth the $11.00 I paid for a 10 oz glass.

My friend let me have a swing of his Michelob Pomegranate Raspberry while I was drinking the Corsendonk and I could hardly taste anything the beer was so lite.
Old 01-17-11, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dogfish Head's Fort was gross but it got me smashed.
Old 01-24-11, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Working my way through one of these as I type, a joint effort from BrewDog and Stone...

"The Black Belgian Style Double India Pale Ale" is more than a little misleading; it strikes me as more of a porter than anything else, due in no small part to the chocolate and smoke overtones. It finishes with a slight bitterness, but nothing that would make you think IPA, let alone Double IPA. 8.6% ABV, but pretty boozy since the batch I found was just bottled 6 weeks ago. I recommend sitting on this one for a while.
Old 02-01-11, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Currently enjoying a Smuttynose "Robust Porter" while the snow explodes outside. Fantastic black-as-night but very smooth porter. Great winter beer at cellar temp.
Old 02-01-11, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
Bought a six of Raging Bitch and really enjoying it. I also got more Little Sumpin, still looking for some wild.
Drank some WTF last night followed by a Gnarly - I love Lagunitas.....
Old 02-01-11, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm about to crack open a GI Bourbon County and/or a Southern Tier Choklat.

Them's good blizzard-watching brews...
Old 02-03-11, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Had a little stoutfest at my buddies place last night. Rolled through Stone IRS, Founders KBS '10, Bell's Expedition (batch 88xx), Great Divide Yeti '09 and a few others I can't remember.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.