Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 02-28-12, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Where do you guys get your unique beers? The only place I can find them at are at BevMo. There's not many local liquor stores around these parts and the regular grocery store selections are sad.
Old 02-28-12, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Brewery only releases.
Old 02-28-12, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
Where do you guys get your unique beers? The only place I can find them at are at BevMo. There's not many local liquor stores around these parts and the regular grocery store selections are sad.
I get mine from an awesome liquor store near where I work. Previously the only decent nearby place was a BevMo as well.
Old 02-28-12, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
Thanks to a care package I received from my brother in law I had the following over the weekend:
Robert The Bruce
Gumball Head

Now I'm pissed we can't get Three Floyds in NJ.
Does your BIL live near the brewery or is Three Floyds just available in his area? See if you can get him to send you some Dreadnaught if you like IPAs. Best I've had from them so far.
Old 02-29-12, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up some Squatters... which just recently came to Texas. I had some Hop Rising on cask previously at the Meddlesome Moth (which everyone visiting Dallas should hit up), so I picked up a 6-er when I saw it at the local bottle shop. One of the better things to come out of Utah (the only? lol)

Also got some more Jester King Thrash Metal. That's some amazing stuff. They also came out with a new IPA called Noble King, but I apparently wasn't quick enough to snap that up.
Old 02-29-12, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
Those big shops are nice... but they tend to have things on the shelf a long time... and restock irregularly. If you're in a city... find a local bottle shop that gets a lot of business. I also have friends in NOLA that make specific trips out of state (their laws suck there) and pick up a lot at the same time.
Old 02-29-12, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

well i enjoyed it so much i went and got a case...

Old 03-02-12, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally scored some Hopslam yesterday - been in the fridge since - yes, tonight is going to be a good night.....

But, yeah - $19 and change for a sixer?
Old 03-03-12, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 03-03-12, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So... after having Spring House's Big Gruesome PB Stout on tap the other day... and noting the brewery had a Lancaster, PA address.. I did a little research, found out their taproom(brewpub) restaurant was only about 40 minutes away , so I decided to head up a few beers and some takeout growlers(after shooting some emails back and forth with the owner to verify hours and growler sales).

http://springhousebeer.com/

Headed up there, got lost as the website had the brewery address listed first, and I didnt' notice the taproom had a separate address. Wasted about 20 minutes and a gallon or two of gas figuring that out.

Finally found the place, was pretty full, and no full service. Lots of tables but you had to go up and order and they'd yell for you when your food was done. Really cool atmosphere, lots of comic paintings of their beers all over the walls, and after the business after work crowd started leaving, the hipsters invaded.. and while the ratio of really cute girls to guys was solid, it definitely wasn't my scene.

Thats their menu board for beers tonite. Their 7 Gates Pale Ale is the only beer that they currently bottle, and its contracted through Appalachian Brewery. I used to see it on shelves all the time, it's apparently gotten really popular around these parts and Appalachian can't keep up. The brewmaster recently bought a 22oz bottling line and is going to start doing just 22ozs for sale at his bar, and at a bottle shop or two.

Their Seven Gates Pale Ale is pretty solid normally... however tonight(not my picture, stolen from thehir Facebook)

It was running thru Randall. Randall was filled with lemons, grapefruits and nugget hops. My first experience with a Randall beer, and it was pretty interesting. Really expanded on the pale ale's natural hop notes by adding more citrus and more hops... reallly enjoyed it.

Also had their Diabolical Dr Wit, and, well, while it wasn't a traditional Wit(my favorite is still St Bernardus or for much cheaper, Victory's Whirlwind), it was downright tasty. It tasted like lemon pine sol. But not in a bad way. It had strong lemon notes in the nose and taste, and also had the piney hop backbone. After half the glass we both decided it was like a lemonade beer, and I could drink that on the porch all summer.

Wet Paint Guava Ale - Have not had the new CC Guava Grove yet, but I imagine this was what they were going for. Smooth Guava taste, really good beer. Wouldnt' want more than a glass or two of this, but it was really interesting.

Took home 2 growlers to drink with my buddy last night, and grabbed a growler of thier Kerplunk! Chocolate Stout, and their Big Gruesome Peanut Butter Chocolate Stout.

They were pretty similar with Kerplunk just being Gruesome without the PB... very solid beers. My best analogy for them, would be this is what Soutern Tier's Blackwater series SHOULD be... smooth drinking beers that have a dessert hint to them, not drinking liquid dessert.

All in all, a great time, everything was reasonably priced ($7 for a screw top growler, $30 for a fancy swing top handled one) and $9 to $15 for a fill.

Experience a Randall filtered beer was amazing, and apparently they run Big Gruesome thru Cocoa Nibs and Peanut Butter baking morsels in the fall when it first comes out.

For such a small, one man brewery, the guy does a great job, really loves what he does, and seems to have a great following.

I will be back!
Old 03-03-12, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That Big Gruesome is outstanding. The nose on it is nuts.
Old 03-03-12, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
That Big Gruesome is outstanding. The nose on it is nuts.
It is amazing. It literally smells like you stuck your head into a bag of Reese's PB Cups.

A lady at the local bar said it best the other night "IT SMELLS LIKE EASTER!!"
Old 03-03-12, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got a bottle from their first release, and am missing out now. Will likely work on securing a growler soon before the season is over.
Old 03-03-12, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^cute bartender you got there
Old 03-03-12, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the heads up Thunderball, I will have to check that place out!
Old 03-09-12, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Going to snag some of this tonight, this sounds good!

Meh, thankfully I have a place that sells individual bottles so I can try something without having to shell out too much. Not a fan, the belch from one of these tasted better than drinking the actual beer itself to me unfortunately.

Now if I can just get my hands on some Aprihop and try that out. Hopefully soon.
Old 03-10-12, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 03-10-12, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
I'm guessing it is because it is bottle of beer that they cannot use the word whiskey. But that is just driving me crazy them having then a different W word
Old 03-10-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Currently drinking:
UniBroue Don de Dieu
Founder's Porter
Boulevard Double Wide IIPA

All are awesome.
Old 03-10-12, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Schloob1 View Post
Meh, thankfully I have a place that sells individual bottles so I can try something without having to shell out too much. Not a fan, the belch from one of these tasted better than drinking the actual beer itself to me unfortunately.

Now if I can just get my hands on some Aprihop and try that out. Hopefully soon.
Yes the Tweasonale was undrinkable in my opinion. I'm going to have troubles pawning off the other 3 out of the 4 pack on people.
Old 03-10-12, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy View Post
Yes the Tweasonale was undrinkable in my opinion. I'm going to have troubles pawning off the other 3 out of the 4 pack on people.
When I went in to my local(est) establishment the other night to pick up a mix sixer, I saw a bottle at the register and, without reading and only seeing the strawberry & honey part, mentioned something to the guy ringing me out like "That looks good." He kind of shook his head no and after prompting him, he mentioned all the dissatisfied reviews from previous clientele after buying it.
Old 03-10-12, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tons of Aprihop here in Austin... picked up a 4-pack at the gas station the other day that has already been smited.

Currently destroying a 4-pack of La Fin du Monde... Gawd I love this stuff.
Old 03-11-12, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
Picked up both of these yesterday, the Aprihop was fine, nothing to exciting and a tad sweet from the Apricot flavor imho. Can't wait to try to the 120
Old 03-11-12, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Schloob1 View Post

I was disappointed with this as well, it sounds so good but does not deliver; kind of tastes like wine mixed with beer.

Glad I only got a six pack!
Old 03-11-12, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I was disappointed with this as well, it sounds so good but does not deliver; kind of tastes like wine mixed with beer.

Glad I only got a six pack!
tweason'ale only comes in 4-packs

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.