Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 01-30-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

For hefe's, my favs would be Weihenstephaner and Ayinger. Erdinger is pretty good too. IMO, the best american hefe's are New Glarus Dancing Man Wheat (which is seasonal, and only available in Wisconsin ) and Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis.
Old 01-30-12, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by Xander View Post
For hefe's, my favs would be Weihenstephaner and Ayinger. Erdinger is pretty good too. IMO, the best american hefe's are New Glarus Dancing Man Wheat (which is seasonal, and only available in Wisconsin ) and Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis.
I agree about Weihenstephaner and Ayinger.

Old 01-30-12, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Had a bottle of Trader Joe's Dunkelweizen the other night. Absolutely delicious. At only 5.2% ABV and only a buck a bottle, I might have found a new session beer.

(Photo stolen from web)
Old 01-30-12, 04:13 PM

Well I done fucked up and deleted the picture already, but this weekend, had a good night of pizza, wings, and beer with some poker.

The beers were as follows:
Stone Self-Righteous Ale
SN Ruthless Rye IPA
Yuengling
Epic Big Bad Baptist Imperial Stout
Hoppin Frog Frosted Frog Christmas Ale
Alba Scots Pine Ale

My favorites were the Self-Righteous and BBB stout. Self-Righteous was extremely smooth and very drinkable. BBB was a pretty powerful stout (at least compared to what I'm used to here in OH... I'm sure some might say "Oh, 11.7%, that's nothing." haha) but was a great stout that I'm looking forward to having again.
Old 01-30-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
oh hoppy day!

I had this on tap last night, after my friends were raving about it last year. The bartender was asking how I knew they had it there...seemed pretty secretive. Anyway I really liked it. Was it easy to buy? I keep hearing about 6 packs selling out.
Old 01-30-12, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Apparently most places sell out quickly...I can pretty much go get a case through the whole release season when I want at Bell's.
Old 01-30-12, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn....okay wait I see your location, so that makes some sense! I'm in the D.C. area, so.....

Yesterday I forgot to add, that when we went to that bar, my friend had six within a few hours, and he doesn't remember a few things from last night. He also left without warning while three of us were watching The Grey. My other friend and I had far less, but were very much in surprise at his random disappearance (he got a ride home, but we didn't know from whom until today).
Old 01-30-12, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
I had this on tap last night, after my friends were raving about it last year. The bartender was asking how I knew they had it there...seemed pretty secretive. Anyway I really liked it. Was it easy to buy? I keep hearing about 6 packs selling out.
the place i bought it from (total wine) got 8 cases in their shipment. they were sold out within 6 hours. i was on the waiting list and they called me and held my 2 sixers (that was the limit per customer). so yes, it's very hard to come by.
Old 01-30-12, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just successfully nabbed a six pack (apparently the last one) from a local Total Wine and Beverage. Now to find other bars and locations....I like this stuff.
Old 01-31-12, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Just successfully nabbed a six pack (apparently the last one) from a local Total Wine and Beverage. Now to find other bars and locations....I like this stuff.
the 10% alcohol is hidden very well.
Old 01-31-12, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This was my forth year doing the Hopslam Shuffle, where I go to every Total Wine and Whole Foods in Northern VA looking for 6 Packs. This is my favorite beer, it's God's vagina.
Old 01-31-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whole Foods is getting another shipment in a few weeks I hear.
Old 01-31-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bell's always does two batches, one comes out mid January, the other early Feb.
Old 01-31-12, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
Bell's always does two batches, one comes out mid January, the other early Feb.
They actually do a lot more than two batches. Last year there were a total of 4 or 5, and this year is looking like possibly another.

With that said, I am cracking out on Hopslam... I love that brew.
Old 01-31-12, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
Ah then, good news. We will have New Belgium in 2013, Imperial Beverages holds the account for a good portion of the state.
I heard mid to late this year for some New Belgium action.
Old 01-31-12, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not that many people here will know or care, but I'm currently sipping on a growler of fresh off the cask Free State Brewery Oatmeal Stout. Ran up to Lawrence this afternoon on business and could not resist.

*Sadly, I have no fish and chips to pair it with.....

Old 01-31-12, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Minor Threat View Post
Not that many people here will know or care, but I'm currently sipping on a growler of fresh off the cask Free State Brewery Oatmeal Stout. Ran up to Lawrence this afternoon on business and could not resist.

*Sadly, I have no fish and chips to pair it with.....

Don't worry Minor Threat. Oatmeal stout is my current favorite... I care. haha

(I'm guessing that's Lawrence, Kansas? If I manage to make it down to see my brother, I'd like to take a bit of a longer, circuitous route home and pick up some good stuff, including some of RobLutter's recommendations and if that oatmeal stout is good, I may see if I can plan that on my route. If I can end up affording to go in the first place.)
Old 01-31-12, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay Northern Virginia Talkers....how do we acquire a case? The fact that this is a great beer, coupled with the desire to seek out rare items means I will be on the hunt.
Old 02-04-12, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
the 10% alcohol is hidden very well.
I had some Hopslam on tap last night, and in no way would you believe it's 10% ABV. Hoppy, but not overwhelming at all. My wife (who dislikes IPAs) actually liked it. It had a very fruity smell. I gotta go find some bottles at local liquor stores.
Old 02-04-12, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bell's is doing a "tap takeover" at Market Wines this Tuesday for Cincinnati Beer Week. I am very much looking forward to Hopslam Firkin, Batch 10,000, Hell Hath No Fury, Sparkling, and Quinnan Falls.
Old 02-04-12, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, btw

Old 02-06-12, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^
Old 02-06-12, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by tbone View Post
I had some Hopslam on tap last night, and in no way would you believe it's 10% ABV. Hoppy, but not overwhelming at all. My wife (who dislikes IPAs) actually liked it. It had a very fruity smell. I gotta go find some bottles at local liquor stores.
Agreed. I'm not a big hophead, and I really like it. Unfortunately, haven't been able to find any around here this year.
Old 02-06-12, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Seems the only/best way to get it, at least around here is get your name on a waiting list. That's what I did at my local Binny's since the 1st batch before it even came out was spoken for. When I went in last month looking for some, I asked if they had any and the guy basically laughed at me. That's why I made sure and put my name on the waitlist. No way am I going to luck out and happen upon a 6-pack of this stuff just checking around.
Old 02-06-12, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What is this? The Bell's fanclub? I have to check out on this convo as they do not distribute in Texas.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.