Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 01-10-12, 01:30 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

I'll have to pick up another bottle or two. I did see the normal Shipwreck Porter available regularly and its in a different style bottle.

This weekend I'm going to crack open my bottle of Life & Limb. That one has been sitting for about half a year now.
Old 01-10-12, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by steebo777 View Post
It's even better fresh (just came out a few weeks ago). Arcadia makes some beaituful barrel aged brews.
Did you get your hands on 15 and XV? Some good stuff in those.
Old 01-10-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
Did you get your hands on 15 and XV? Some good stuff in those.
Firestone XV? I definitely got some of that. Didn't get any Arcadia 15 though.
Old 01-10-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This past weekend I picked up a growler of a beer by the Beaver Brewing Co. called Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale. It's brewed with a rare (Nelson Sauvin) hop that is apparently brewed in the same region where Sauvignon Blanc is either made or the grapes are grown. The hop gives the beer a very "grape"-y taste and it made the beer a good crossover, for me because I am not a wine fan at all. I wish that this were a beer that were more readily available, especially at wineries as many around here focus on wine, naturally, and the beer choice is often from the the crap 3.

Really good beer that I only wish would be brewed again, but so glad I got a chance to taste it. (Whether it is a bridge to eventually being able to drink wine and enjoy it or not.)
Old 01-10-12, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
snagged a 12-pack of these yesterday at the store.

I love the stuff. If you get a chance try the Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye. I bought some at the brewery when I was home for the holidays and it was spectacular.
Old 01-10-12, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by steebo777 View Post
Firestone XV? I definitely got some of that. Didn't get any Arcadia 15 though.
If you head to Founders for KBS release I will bring my Arcadia XV & 15 bottles for the line.
Old 01-10-12, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spec's in South Austin got a surprise resupply of Lagunitas Sucks (now rebranded "Lagunitas Sucks: Holiday Leftovers). Only 4 cases and 2 were left when I got there. Picked up 2 6-ers.

We just moved from North Austin last month and I can't believe the size of the Spec's down here... it used to be a Conn's.
Old 01-10-12, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Got a 12 pack of the new Sam Adams spring variety pack. So far, not liking any...ewww

I'm restocking my home bar...I'm trying to find Anderson Valley beers here in Dallas. So far no luck.
Old 01-11-12, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dash View Post
I love the stuff. If you get a chance try the Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye. I bought some at the brewery when I was home for the holidays and it was spectacular.
I got a 12-pack of Ruthless Rye the other day to pad the fridge and its freaking excellent. Definitely up there with Torpedo as a great, cheap craft beer that I can keep in quantities in the fridge. HEB here in Texas has SN 12-packs for 11.99 at least once a month.

Someone asked about Jester King Black Metal earlier and I don't think I replied. It's an excellent Imperial Stout... but it's rather expensive at 9.99 per 750mL bottle. Not something I'd keep around normally.... and I actually prefer Lagunitas' offering in the same style (~$4 but not a year round). That said... it's still an excellent local year round.

Jester King is creating lots of excellent new beers lately that use locally harvested farm yeast... and those are going to be hitting bottles soon. Their sour farmhouse Ale, Das Wunderkind, is hitting shelves this month and I can't wait to try that.

If you're in South Austin... Whip In tends to have all their Farmhouse beers on tap.
Old 01-11-12, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Got a 12 pack of the new Sam Adams spring variety pack. So far, not liking any...ewww

I'm restocking my home bar...I'm trying to find Anderson Valley beers here in Dallas. So far no luck.
RE: Anderson Valley... I KNOW I've seen it at Spec's... and I believe they just opened a location in Dallas. Also check World of Beer up there. I also had it on tap up there at Meddlesome Moth... which is still one of my favorite bars in the state.
Old 01-11-12, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Been drinking these 3 alot lately and they are all excellent.
Old 01-11-12, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

^ Ooh, I loooooove weizenbocks. So delicious.

Sad that Hopslam is back. Since my wife is not able to drink any more, I've been trying to avoid buying her favorite beers when I buy beer for myself. That is one of them.
Old 01-12-12, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RobLutter View Post
RE: Anderson Valley... I KNOW I've seen it at Spec's... and I believe they just opened a location in Dallas. Also check World of Beer up there. I also had it on tap up there at Meddlesome Moth... which is still one of my favorite bars in the state.
I'll check it out, thanks....
Old 01-12-12, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What are we drinking for Super Bowl? Or waiting to see who is in the game? Right now I know I'll have,

Fat Tire
Smithwicks
Shiner Cheers
Anchor Christmas
Guinness (pub can's)
Old Speckled Hen (pub can's)

Picked up some Bohemia...and drinking up some singles I have. Need at least one hoppy beer and maybe a lighter blonde or something.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 01-13-12 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-12-12, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just had 3 Hopslams off of a firkin. And then some more things. Then my wife drove me home. I feel like I won.
Old 01-13-12, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
What are we drinking for Super Bowl? Or waiting to see who is in the game? Right now I know I'll have,

Fat Tire
Smithwicks
Shiner Cheers
Anchor Christmas
Guinness (pub can's)
Old Speckled Hen (pub can's)

Picked up some Bohemia...and drinking up some singles I have. Need at least one hoppy beer and maybe a lighter blonde or something.
Wish I could find Fat Tire in Michigan. Everyplace I go says that for some unexplained reason, they won't ship it to Michigan....
Old 01-13-12, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wildman1037 View Post
Wish I could find Fat Tire in Michigan. Everyplace I go says that for some unexplained reason, they won't ship it to Michigan....
My dad can't get it in Florida either.

New Belgium's La Folie is one of the best beers ever if you come across it.
Old 01-13-12, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In other news I'm sipping on a Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale right now and I do believe this is one of the best IPAs I've ever had. Don't worry... I work 3rd shift... lol

I'm really hoping as popular as it is they can spin it into a regular... because it would be my new go to if it weren't so damn hard to find.
Old 01-13-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wildman1037 View Post
Because it is federally illegal and businesses like to remain in business?
Old 01-13-12, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think he meant that New Belgium wont ship it to Michigan.

My dad buys beer on the internet in Florida... that so would not fly in Texas, lol. I think legality of that varies by state... I know for a fact that in Texas it is absolutely cool with wine but not so much beer and liquor. As long as you are buying from a reseller and not a distributor or brewery... you are not breaking the Three Tier system.

In other news... I miiiight have bought a case of Lagunitas Sucks today. Gonna ration that shit like Elaine rations sponges.
Old 01-13-12, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They don't distribute everywhere. You can check with FAQ's which has maps and zip code locators. And Yea, I was too lazy to look...ha!

http://www.newbelgium.com/culture/faq.aspx

My dad buys beer on the internet in Florida... that so would not fly in Texas, lol. I think legality of that varies by state... I know for a fact that in Texas it is absolutely cool with wine but not so much beer and liquor. As long as you are buying from a reseller and not a distributor or brewery... you are not breaking the Three Tier system.

In other news... I miiiight have bought a case of Lagunitas Sucks today. Gonna ration that shit like Elaine rations sponges.
We (Texas) are getting better. A year ago Oct, they finally lifted all those screwy by county rules here in Dallas. So now you can pick up a 6 pack just about anywhere. And even at the link I posted above, looks like things have changed.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 01-13-12 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-13-12, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We (Texas) are getting better. A year ago Oct, they finally lifted all those screwy by county rules. So now you can pick up a 6 pack just about anywhere. And even at the link I posted above, looks like things have changed.
I had a friend in Plano trying to explain to me the local beer/liquor ordinances a while back and it hurt my brain.
Old 01-13-12, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah then, good news. We will have New Belgium in 2013, Imperial Beverages holds the account for a good portion of the state.
Old 01-14-12, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just had a Stone Sublimely Self Righteous.
Such a good west coast ale.
It's not for the hop-phobic (none of Stone's brews are), but man, is it tasty.

I'm just glad that I've found a local source for this San Diego line. Pretty much every one of their beers, I've liked.
Old 01-14-12, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had a friend in Plano trying to explain to me the local beer/liquor ordinances a while back and it hurt my brain.
Yes. It was silliness on a grand scale. The ultimate "feel good" ordinances that did absolutely nothing. Not even sure what they were supposed to do.

Thankfully, again..most are gone. The gas station/convenience store near my house leased out the area next to him (use to be a florist) and added a nice little beer/wine section. And to my surprise he carries more than Lone Star! Ha! Has a nice selection. And since I've been a regular since he opened about 5 years ago, he told me to tell him if I wanted anything and he would get.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.