Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 12-17-11, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post

I think Saranac is a fine brewery, and if anyone sees their offerings in upstate NY or New England, I'd recommend them.
Their stuff is readily available around here, including the Beers of Winter and Beers of Summer variety packs, the latter of which can be found dirt cheap ($7.99) as summer draws to a close. I have never been blown away by anything from them, but everything I have tried has at least been drinkable, especially for the price. A couple of this year's winter selections look interesting, so I might pick it up if the price is right.

On another winter-related note, I have yet to pick up a 6 of Great Lakes Christmas Ale, which jumped to $11.99 this year.
Old 12-23-11, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

going to be a fun weekend...

Old 12-26-11, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Part of the lineup last night. In addition, I had a Willoughby Brewing Co. Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter, Columbus Brewing Co. Winter Warmer, and Goose Island Mild Winter. Pretty good night with 5 of the 6 beers being new. That Columbus Brewing Winter Warmer was a really good beer and I could see drinking in to late spring, if not summer, and not having it feel out of place. Just a really good brew that was probably the highlight of the night.
Old 12-27-11, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Holiday loot.

Real Ale Sisyphus Barleywine
Avery Rumpkin (2 bottles)
Jester King Black Metal Imperial Stout
Vertical Epic 11.11.11 (2 bottles)
Brooklyn Black Ops Bourbon Aged Stout
Saint Arnold Sailing Santa
No less than 3 1.5L bottles of Anchor Steam Christmas

Still have yet to find a Sixer of Lagunitas Sucks... but they have it on draft at 24 Diner in Austin.
Old 12-27-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone else age beer? People look at me strange.
Currently in my aging cabinet (we don't have cellars here )
Dogfish Head Fort (2005)
Dogfish Head Raison D'Extra (2007) x 2
Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA 2008 x 3
Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA 2011 x 3
Dogfish Head Pangea 2011 x 2
Dogfish Head/Sierra Nevada Life & Limb 1 (2010)
Dogfish Head/Sierra Nevada Life & Limb 2 (2011)
Stone Old Guardian Belgo 2011
Stone Russian Imperial Stout 2009

Gonna need more space soon (or drink more!)
Old 12-27-11, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, see here.

A bit out of date now, need to go through and update it.
Old 12-28-11, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
Short answer, yes.

Long answer, see here.

A bit out of date now, need to go through and update it.
You win. All the great brews in there I can't get in Texas... sigh.
Old 12-28-11, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most were acquired through trading, though I can't really complain about off the shelf beer in Michigan.
Old 12-28-11, 07:37 PM

Most were acquired through trading, though I can't really complain about off the shelf beer in Michigan.
We've got some pretty good stuff here in Ohio, but I am SERIOUSLY jealous, especially because we seem to get very little of what is available in MI down here. (Or at least the premium stuff. Then again, someone who lives in a bigger city or a city closer to MI may disagree with me.)

I want to visit Short's SOOOO bad it's not funny. I had intended to visit last summer; hoping that is on the short list this year. Just need finances to help out with that.

(Oh, also jealous of the trading; I wish I had the guts to pull the trigger on that.)
Old 12-29-11, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You should try to make it to the Jackie O's release in March. It will be my first time down there, and I will be celebrating finishing my Ph.D. The bottle share the night before I hear becomes a gong show (in an awesome way)

As for Short's, I have been up once, this years anniversary. I will go to next years too. I have also had the chance to drink with Joe Short (and drink, and drink, and drink) when he did a beer dinner in Kalamazoo. A group of 10 of us ended up at another bar where he picked up the tab. Great guy.

Also, I will just leave this right here so you can be a little more jealous: http://www.kalamazoobeerweek.com/
Old 12-29-11, 12:31 AM

You should try to make it to the Jackie O's release in March. It will be my first time down there, and I will be celebrating finishing my Ph.D. The bottle share the night before I hear becomes a gong show (in an awesome way)

Also, I will just leave this right here so you can be a little more jealous: http://www.kalamazoobeerweek.com/
I almost went to the Jackie O's release earlier this month. I'll watch for March info. I don't know what I'd bring to bottle share. That's what worries me. haha (Congrats on the Ph.D. in advance.)

That looks fabulous; I LOVE the idea of the Saturday event at Harvey's.... chili and beer! Fantastic!
Old 01-05-12, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

snagged a 12-pack of these yesterday at the store.

Old 01-05-12, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post

...I had a Willoughby Brewing Co. Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter, Columbus Brewing Co. Winter Warmer, and Goose Island Mild Winter....
We did a growler theme for NYE, with 14 of us each bringing a growler to share, plus a few misc bottles. The bottles were awful (Infinium, 3 F Bitch, Please and Tactical Nuclear Penguin.) The growlers included PB Cup Coffee Porter and Columbus Winter Warmer. So, we were drinking similar things that week! I agree with your assessment of Columbus- I'm not a huge fan of the style, but it was done right and was very enjoyable.

Originally Posted by RobLutter View Post
We converted an old canning closet into a beer and wine cellar. It ranges from 50-75 bottles at a time. Aging beer is addictive and most of my "beer" friends have a cool, dry spot to store their stouts and barleywines. Some of them have closets organized by style. So, you're in good company and there are plenty of like minded people that understand!

Let me know if you need any help drinking more- especially that 2009 Stone IRS!

Have you guys seen this?: http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/12535814/beer-traders

If any of you visit Jackie O's for the next bottle release, please let me know. It's about 4 hours from where I live, but I try to make each event. I bought the Staff Membership they offered in December, so I almost have to be at each release this year.

Do not let the absence of any great bottles to share deter you in any way from attending a bottle release. I generally don't participate because the tap list Brad puts on is so incredible and we often end up standing in line for several hours- making sleep a priority! I've only gone to one hotel bottle share in Athens, and they welcomed whatever you had to add. I'd expect the morning share at Fluff bakery to be the same. The bottle share at the brewpub on the morning of the release is smaller scale but still amazing. If you don't have any whales to share, (I usually shy away from this, because I prefer to drink those in smaller circles) just bring something local that's not widely distributed. People are glad to taste new beers, whatever they are!
Old 01-06-12, 11:47 PM

Renee, that video is hilarious. My buddy and I were talking about it the other night after we'd left VE. It is too hilarious, especially because it's too true. haha

Yeah, I'm not a winter warmer fan... more of the holiday beers I've had have been less than satisfying, but this one didn't seem to fit the current bill. Wouldn't mind seeing what it was like in a few months as spring starts to roll around, hopefully.

Don't know about Jackie O's. The only thing guaranteed in the near future is the Big Tap In 3. Probably will get to the IX Beerfest and maybe try the first annual PGH Beer Week, but as it's smack in the middle of BTI and IX, not sure. Since IX is definitely an overnighter, not sure Jackie O's will be in the cards, but I'd LOVE to find a way to pull it off.

Hey RobLutter, dig into that Jester King imperial stout yet? Sounds like a good one!

I know this doesn't really belong here, but I just tried that Mississippi Mud black and tan and surprisingly, for the price, it wasn't horrible at all.
Old 01-07-12, 09:54 AM

My friends and I refer to that video constantly. It was obviously made by someone who is very active on Beer Advocate and has the ability to understand the community, yet view it through the eyes of someone else! A friend had a keg of 5 day old Columbus IPA at his birthday party. Of course, my comment was that it was garbage, since it was more than 23 hours old!

Please keep me posted on your possible plans for the IX Beerfest and Jackie O's!
Old 01-07-12, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Renee View Post
My friends and I refer to that video constantly. It was obviously made by someone who is very active on Beer Advocate and has the ability to understand the community, yet view it through the eyes of someone else! A friend had a keg of 5 day old Columbus IPA at his birthday party. Of course, my comment was that it was garbage, since it was more than 23 hours old!

Please keep me posted on your possible plans for the IX Beerfest and Jackie O's!
Either some quick thinking on your part or you guys REALLY know your Beer Traders video. haha (In all actuality, though, I think when I watched after your post, that was only my 3rd time seeing it. Who am I kidding? I'm NEVER with it enough to be that quick on my feet to come up with a good line, whether of my own or related from somewhere everyone would know.)

I think IX Beerfest is starting to look more like the closest to a guarantee after the Big Tap In. Beyond that, it's all up in the air until we get closer. I'd really like to do a bottle release this year though. I don't know that I want to wait in line 7 hours, no matter the season, but everything else sounds great!
Old 01-08-12, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

New Glarus's Hop Hearty IPA is fantastic.

Sprecher's Abbey Tripel is forgettable.

Milwaukee Brewing's Louie's Demise Ale isn't too shabby.
Old 01-08-12, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

am indulging in a rare treat this evening...am having a beer (gluten free, Daura). It's actually fairly tasty.
Old 01-08-12, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer View Post
am indulging in a rare treat this evening...am having a beer (gluten free, Daura). It's actually fairly tasty.
Dogfish head is releasing a gluten free beer shortly.
Old 01-10-12, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RobLutter View Post
Currently in my aging cabinet (we don't have cellars here )
Dogfish Head Fort (2005)
Dogfish Head Raison D'Extra (2007) x 2
Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA 2008 x 3
Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA 2011 x 3
Dogfish Head Pangea 2011 x 2
Dogfish Head/Sierra Nevada Life & Limb 1 (2010)
Dogfish Head/Sierra Nevada Life & Limb 2 (2011)
Stone Old Guardian Belgo 2011
Stone Russian Imperial Stout 2009

Yup, I age a few beers as seen here.

Currently I am absolutely loving Hopslam as it just hit. My favorite beer without a doubt.
Old 01-10-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just spent yesterday at Bell's drinking hopslam. Thursday my local is going to have a firkin of Hopslam. Good times.
Old 01-10-12, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

hopefully i can get my hands on some hopslam this year....we'll see.

picked up the following this weekend:

Lagunitas IPA Maximus 6-pack
Terrapin Wake-N-Bake 4-pack
Founders Imperial Stout 4-pack
Hoppin' Frog B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher 22oz
Old 01-10-12, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spent several hours last Saturday at Quencher's bar in Chicago. They're having their annual "Stout Fest" -- 12 stouts on tap for the first two weeks of January, then 12 new and different stouts replace them for the last two weeks. Every sixth one is free. Had Mikkeller Bourbon Black Hole, Lion Stout, Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti, Bell’s Expedition Stout, and Rogue Imperial Stout on my first go-around.
Old 01-10-12, 12:56 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Tried a couple that I picked up a while back.

Did not care for this one. It was recommended to me by an employee of a local beer store after he said it was popular and one of his favorites.

I did like this one, though I never had the standard one. I guess this was a limited batch. I picked it up this past spring.

Old 01-10-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vryce View Post
I did like this one, though I never had the standard one. I guess this was a limited batch. I picked it up this past spring.

It's even better fresh (just came out a few weeks ago). Arcadia makes some beaituful barrel aged brews.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.