Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 11-01-11, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Man, I just can't stop drinking Zombie Dust. It is so good.

Also, can't wait to pick up Backwoods Bastard today as it is officially released!
Old 11-01-11, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Had SA Vixen this weekend and, even though not a bock fan, I enjoyed it. (Pretty good chocolate flavor and the heat wasn't distracting/annoying from the other flavors at work, but noticeable enough to provide some difference/new taste points.) I'm wondering how it compares to Stone's Smoked Porter With Chipotle Peppers.

I've had one recommendation on the Stone and would love to find it. Anyone have a basis of comparison?
Old 11-07-11, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up a few things in FL this weekend...

120 Minute, NBD.
Old 11-07-11, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can't get Count Chocula in Austin?
Old 11-07-11, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually it IS kinda difficult.

This might also freak out some but I also split a 12-year old Delirium Tremens with my dad that he had in his cellar. It was amazing.

Old 11-10-11, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

picked up a build-your-own six pack yesterday at total wine:

1 Bell's Kalamazoo Stout
1 Bell's Special Double Cream Stout
1 Troeg's Mad Elf Ale
1 Troeg's Java Head Stout
1 Smuttynose Winter Ale
1 21st Amendment Fireside Chat Winter Spiced Ale

also enjoyed 4 pints of O'Connor's El Guapo IPA (english IPA with agave nectar) yesterday at lunch
Old 12-01-11, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked up a pack of this the other day...

Great aroma, but it unfortunately barely carries over into your mouth. It's an easy-drinking brown ale, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find it unless you just want to sit around and sniff it.
Old 12-02-11, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Boulevard Brewery Double Wide IPA: Wow...amazing. Best IPA I've had in a while. Pours a dark orange/gold with huge white head. Not too bitter for a double IPA, lots of nice malt character. Delicious and very drinkable for an 8.5% DIPA.
In fact I really like all of the beer I've had from this brewery. That's rare for me.
Old 12-02-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Boulevard Brewery Double Wide IPA: Wow...amazing. Best IPA I've had in a while. Pours a dark orange/gold with huge white head. Not too bitter for a double IPA, lots of nice malt character. Delicious and very drinkable for an 8.5% DIPA.
In fact I really like all of the beer I've had from this brewery. That's rare for me.
See you are in Chi-town, where did you pick this up. Might have to pick some up.
Old 12-02-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Had a Firestone Parabola a couple weeks back at a local ale house. Came in a box and everything. It was pricey ($29), but fortunately I wasn't buying.

Tasted much like the other high alcohol bourbon-aged stouts (this one is at 12.5%) but much, much smoother than any others I've had. Would be my favorite go-to bourbon stout if it were more readily available (and obviously cheaper).

Old 12-02-11, 10:23 PM

Went to Vintage Estates tonight for the Troegs invasion. Mad Elf, Scratch 48, and Scratch 50 on tap. And, in addition to a good amount of Troegs singles for sale, they seem to have packed even more beer, than they normally carry, in for the season.

Picked up a Hoppin Frog Frosted Ale, Rogue Yellow Snow IPA, Brew Kettle Black Jack Robust Porter, and Avec Les Bons Voeux. Along with the tap fare, it was a pretty great night. (And very needed after a rough day/night at work.)
Old 12-08-11, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i've been calling multiple total wines at least twice a week for the past month seeing if they had one of these in stock and low and behold today i find out a mom and pop organic food market about 15 minutes from me had FOUR of them...needless to say they now have none.

Old 12-08-11, 11:37 PM

Tried a Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout tonight. It was pretty good, but not at the $5/bottle tag. I can get a bomber of some pretty good stuff for $1-2 more. I would definitely drink it again, but only under the right circumstances.

Thinking of heading out to find something new to try tomorrow.
Old 12-09-11, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Picked up a pack of this the other day...

Great aroma, but it unfortunately barely carries over into your mouth. It's an easy-drinking brown ale, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find it unless you just want to sit around and sniff it.
Several months ago, I met the brewer/owner of Bison Brewing and his PR girl, "The Beer Wench" (that's her name for herself, not mine!) We sampled some of their brews with a few friends. The most telling part of the night was that no one ordered a second round of any Bison beers. They were all merely okay.

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post

I'm headed to Lizardville in Bedford, OH tonight to sample the DFH "music brews" on draft. Last night was the official event, with Bitches Brew, Hellhound on My Ale and Faithfull all on tap, as the respective albums played in the bar. I won't get the music tonight, but I should still be able to enjoy all 3 beers. I'm especially looking forward to Bitches Brew on draft.
Old 12-09-11, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Today is Bell's Eccentric day. I showed up around 11ish this morning and was invited by a couple BAs to go and open some beers with Larry Bell. We strolled up to the office lounge and popped a 1994 Expedition Stout, a 1992 Third Coast Old Ale, a 2003 Java Stout aged on Oak Chips, a 2003 Cherry Stout aged on Oak Chips and cherry pitts, and what Larry called a "time capsule" ale, a barleywine brewed on Bell's old two barrel system. There were just five of us, and we spent about an hour and a half just bsing with him about beer and what not. Easily one of my top beer drinking moments.

Last edited by Decadance; 12-09-11 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-10-11, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just wanted to say that I'm not a fan of hoppy, bitter beer - I do love me some sour beer though...
Old 12-10-11, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
Today is Bell's Eccentric day. I showed up around 11ish this morning and was invited by a couple BAs to go and open some beers with Larry Bell. We strolled up to the office lounge and popped a 1994 Expedition Stout, a 1992 Third Coast Old Ale, a 2003 Java Stout aged on Oak Chips, a 2003 Cherry Stout aged on Oak Chips and cherry pitts, and what Larry called a "time capsule" ale, a barleywine brewed on Bell's old two barrel system. There were just five of us, and we spent about an hour and a half just bsing with him about beer and what not. Easily one of my top beer drinking moments.
The fact that it's not clearly the top moment takes jealousy and turns it to hatred.

That's awesome! Congrats; I hope to be so lucky to find some beers like that one day.
Old 12-14-11, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

picked these up this morning...

Old 12-14-11, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A Lagunitas Christmas beer? DO WANT. Guessing from the 6-pack there's no Brown Sugga this year... bummer.

Gonna hit up the Whole Foods mothership today and see if they've got the Cappuccino Stout yet.
Old 12-14-11, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Laguintas Sucks is their best beer they've made yet IMO. A beautiful DIPA that shows why they rock so hard.
Old 12-14-11, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by steebo777 View Post
Laguintas Sucks is their best beer they've made yet IMO. A beautiful DIPA that shows why they rock so hard.
Yeah, the folks over at BeerAdvocate are saying some REALLY nice things about it. Anyone spots it in Texasland, lemme know. Might have to picket down the street at the Capitol if we didn't get label approval on that one.

Meanwhile I bought the INCREDIBLE HULK sized Anchor Christmas 2011 to cellar for a year or two (the two part has a 99% chance of not happening). It might even be a Christmas in July this brew is so good. $14.99 at H-E-B, which I consider a steal and a half considering how much of an arm and a leg whomever the Texas Distributor of it is charging for a 6-pack.

Old 12-16-11, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Was off today and worked on wrapping up the X-mas shopping and on my way to the mall spotted the DMK Burger Bar and heard great things so had to check it out. Proceeded to sit down at the bar and I've seen/heard about it from a friend and on this thread as well GUMBALLHEAD beer ON TAP. Asked the bartender if I could have a small sample, and LOVED it and proceeded to have a pint with my burger and to die for Parmesean cheese with truffle cream french fries.

Now the good part, I wrap up my shopping and before going home stop off at Whole Foods. Lo and behold I find myself a 6-pack of GUMBALLHEAD
Old 12-17-11, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Saranac is a fine brewery, and if anyone sees their offerings in upstate NY or New England, I'd recommend them. I thought the vanilla stout was very good, with a very subtle vanilla flavor. Also, I think the pilsner style in general has gotten a bad rap because of so many lame mass produced versions, but their Bomemian Pilsner shows you how the style is supposed to taste :

New! Saranac Chocolate Lager- Saranac Chocolate Lager is a sinfully delicious deep amber lager made with certified organic cacao from Belize. Our brewers looked far and wide for the highest quality cacao ...read more.

Saranac Vanilla Stout- Few ingredients rival vanilla's ability to add richness and roundness to food. Made with a traditional blend of caramel and chocolate malts plus roasted barley and a hint of vanilla ...read more.

Saranac Bohemian Pilsener- Saranac Bohemian Pilsner is a medium bodied Pilsner crafted like the original Pilsners of Czechoslovakia. Brewed with the finest Pilsner malt and Saaz hops, you will find ...read more.

Saranac India Copper Ale- Taking an India Pale Ale to the next level, Saranac India Copper Ale has the malt backbone to carry the hoppiness you expect in an India Ale. Carefully selected malts from ...read more.

Saranac Lake Effect Lager- Our Saranac Lake Effect Lager is a rich, malty, old school German Lager, made with traditional German malts and hops and fermented with a lager yeast. Look for a rich ...read more.

Saranac Big Moose Ale- Saranac Big Moose Ale is the perfect brew to warm you up on a cold Adirondack winter night. This full-flavored ale is triple dry hopped with specialty Citra, Centennial and ...read more.
Old 12-17-11, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by RobLutter View Post
Yeah, the folks over at BeerAdvocate are saying some REALLY nice things about it. Anyone spots it in Texasland, lemme know. Might have to picket down the street at the Capitol if we didn't get label approval on that one.

Meanwhile I bought the INCREDIBLE HULK sized Anchor Christmas 2011 to cellar for a year or two (the two part has a 99% chance of not happening). It might even be a Christmas in July this brew is so good. $14.99 at H-E-B, which I consider a steal and a half considering how much of an arm and a leg whomever the Texas Distributor of it is charging for a 6-pack.

Man my local place was charging 19.99 for those, I picked up two for the novelty of it to take to Christmas parties plus it's a good brew.
Old 12-17-11, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whip In in Austin got two cases of Vertical Epic Stone 11.11.11 yesterday... picked up two bottles. Excited as it's the first VE we've gotten bottled, iirc. 10.10.10 made it to Texas but was seized by the TABC and sent back after the discovered that it >gasp< had the word "beer" somewhere on the bottle.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.