Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 10-16-11, 03:53 AM
  #476  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: In a place without the cursed couch
Posts: 20,590
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

So, came home from work today, extremely bummed out because I had to work late, and thereby missed any chance I had of scoring Otto at Victory... or so I thought... noticed on their FB page people posting "just got a case, and a glass at the bar, you guys are awesome!"

I called the shop, they said "oh we have plenty left" grabbed my buddy and headed down to Victory on a Saturday night. First thing I wanna say, is I've only gone to Victory during the weekdays around happy hour. Place was wall to wall with women, awesome beer choices and great music/atmosphere.

We wanted to eat, the bar was full, so we asked for a table. wAs told it would be about 30 minutes... went to the brewpub retail shop first... I saw the Otto piles... saw the price... and debated... then figured "what the hell" and grabbed the case, untasted at this point,a nd threw it in my trunk. Came back in, the little buzzer went off and we got our seat. Menu was amazing tonite... I had a nice smoked Italian sausage sandwich and their famous soft pretzel appetizer...

We both ordered an Otto on draft and awaited our beers. She came back and said "we're changing kegs, it'll be a few minutes" came back a few minutes later and said "I'm sorry, we're actually all out of Otto on draft, but we are selling the 750mL bottles if you'd like one" we decided that we'd just try it at my house tomorrow, and ordered a brewery only Zeitbeer (blonde Oktoberfest) and that was delicious...w e talked about it, decided to order up and split the big bottle of Otto.

I don't even know how to describe how amazing Otto was. It was ... well... a rauchbier and a dubbel... together. The first smell was the smokiness, with a bit of the typical Belgian smells behind it... very subdued behind the fire/smoke sensation....
First taste was the opposite... a really nice, tasty Belgian ale... immediately followed by a smooth, delicious smoke taste that coated your mouth. The next sip and the next couple just kept melding the two together.

I don't normally like bizarre hybrid beers, but I loved Otto. If you like smoked beers, and you see Otto, you owe it to yourself to pick it up.

Edit:

Case Art


Blurry Cell Phone picture of my first pour...

Thunderball is offline  
Old 10-16-11, 08:32 AM
  #477  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Minor Threat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 13,736
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
If you'd consider sellling that at not so high a markup, I'd be game.
Damn. I was hoping to get your name in the SS drawing, but alas, I did not.

I think I'm going to drink it Christmas Eve.....
Minor Threat is offline  
Old 10-16-11, 03:24 PM
  #478  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: In a place without the cursed couch
Posts: 20,590
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by Minor Threat View Post
Damn. I was hoping to get your name in the SS drawing, but alas, I did not.

I think I'm going to drink it Christmas Eve.....
I didn't even join up in the thread... how sad

I hope it's good... I have given up on seeing any around here.. haha
Thunderball is offline  
Old 10-17-11, 11:39 AM
  #479  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Lateralus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Valley of Megiddo
Posts: 9,569
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Troegs is open today in Hershey for the first time, I will be stopping by and picking up this years supply of Mad Elf.
Lateralus is offline  
Old 10-17-11, 02:26 PM
  #480  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Decadance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 1,781
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Troegs is open today in Hershey for the first time, I will be stopping by and picking up this years supply of Mad Elf.
They also have Scratch 50 available today.
Decadance is offline  
Old 10-17-11, 04:30 PM
  #481  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: In a place without the cursed couch
Posts: 20,590
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

I think Belgian Yeti and Founders Breakfast Stout are joining the cellar tomorrow... after that I think my storage area is full.

Time to start drinking!!
Thunderball is offline  
Old 10-17-11, 04:34 PM
  #482  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Minor Threat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 13,736
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
I think Belgian Yeti and Founders Breakfast Stout are joining the cellar tomorrow... after that I think my storage area is full.

Time to start drinking!!
Both excellent choices for sure. Now start drinking....!
Minor Threat is offline  
Old 10-22-11, 07:57 PM
  #483  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Moopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: MN
Posts: 3,238
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Saw the Founders Breakfast Stout today, didn't have any idea it had such glowing reviews. I'll have to swing by and pick some up on Monday.

Did pick up my bottle of Darkness today and got some Sprecher Special Amber, too!
Moopher is offline  
Old 10-22-11, 09:30 PM
  #484  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: In a place without the cursed couch
Posts: 20,590
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Founders Breakfast Stout is somewhat of my guilty pleasure every year. Its the only 'expensive' case I take down in less than a year or two, as I like to cellar most of my stuff.

I usually plow thru at least one case of FBS every year... it's just so damn good... It's my favorite coffee stout by a large margin. Terrapins WnB is a close 2nd... but ... Breakfast Stout is just.. .mm
Thunderball is offline  
Old 10-24-11, 09:15 PM
  #485  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,107
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Went up to the Cleveland area Saturday at the last minute to get in on a little Cleveland Beer Week action. Had 4 different brews, but the standout, both in taste and rarity, was 15th Anniversary Double Dry Hopped Escondidian Imperial Black IPA.

Not only was it one of the only ones in Cleveland, from what I was told, but they were supposed to be 10 oz. pours and the bartender didn't know and gave me a full pint. I wasn't exactly dejected.

I would have loved to have been in a better position (read: living in Cleveland and taking advantage every single night).
Shamus McAnally is offline  
Old 10-25-11, 09:23 AM
  #486  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 897
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
I would have loved to have been in a better position (read: living in Cleveland and taking advantage every single night).
Cleveland Beer Week was insane. Most nights, there were 3 or 4 places I wanted to be at once. As a result, we never made it home before 11pm, which made for rough 5am wake-ups and 5pm starts to the next round of fun. I'm scared to death of my credit card bill this month.

A friend tried over 80 beers that were new to him in the last week alone. (We had been watching Untappd for the moment he would hit 500 uniques- Legendary status.) Highlights included the single hop series done by local breweries for the BREWzilla festival, the tapping of Green Flash Silva Stout, Barrel Aged 2008 Stone IRS, Brooklyn Companion wheat wine, Barrel Aged Sierra Nevada Jack & Ken's Barleywine, Victory Village coffee brown, and CBS/KBS on draft at a little college bar on the campus of Baldwin-Wallace. I also loved seeing Jackie O's, Kuhnhenn, Columbus and some other breweries that aren't normally distributed here conduct special tastings.

The big surprise for me was how much I enjoyed Epic's Bid Bad Baptist. They had a huge roll-out into our area earlier this year, but I really didn't care for any of their IPAs or Sours. I was ready to write them off and ignored the $13 bomber of stout at my local grocer. After tasting Bid Bad Baptist, I immediately went back and bought a bottle.

The Southern Tier I-90 pale ale that was brewed especially for this week (named for the highway that connects Cleveland with the NY brewery) was also a surprise hit. Hoppier than expected for a pale ale and just an all around enjoyable beer.
Renee is offline  
Old 10-25-11, 07:44 PM
  #487  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,107
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by Renee View Post
Cleveland Beer Week was insane. Most nights, there were 3 or 4 places I wanted to be at once. As a result, we never made it home before 11pm, which made for rough 5am wake-ups and 5pm starts to the next round of fun. I'm scared to death of my credit card bill this month.

A friend tried over 80 beers that were new to him in the last week alone. (We had been watching Untappd for the moment he would hit 500 uniques- Legendary status.) Highlights included the single hop series done by local breweries for the BREWzilla festival, the tapping of Green Flash Silva Stout, Barrel Aged 2008 Stone IRS, Brooklyn Companion wheat wine, Barrel Aged Sierra Nevada Jack & Ken's Barleywine, Victory Village coffee brown, and CBS/KBS on draft at a little college bar on the campus of Baldwin-Wallace. I also loved seeing Jackie O's, Kuhnhenn, Columbus and some other breweries that aren't normally distributed here conduct special tastings.

The big surprise for me was how much I enjoyed Epic's Bid Bad Baptist. They had a huge roll-out into our area earlier this year, but I really didn't care for any of their IPAs or Sours. I was ready to write them off and ignored the $13 bomber of stout at my local grocer. After tasting Bid Bad Baptist, I immediately went back and bought a bottle.

The Southern Tier I-90 pale ale that was brewed especially for this week (named for the highway that connects Cleveland with the NY brewery) was also a surprise hit. Hoppier than expected for a pale ale and just an all around enjoyable beer.
That sounds amazing! I only had 4 new brews, though I picked up 5 new bombers, so that and a few new brews I already have will get me about 5-7 away from 200. Although I did get two of them on Saturday. haha

I had hoped to find some I-90, but didn't do that. I did pick up a bomber of Big Bad Baptist that I was already looking forward to and after your comments, I now can't wait for even more.

Just in case any of you California Otters would like to make me even more despondent over beer I can't have, please let me know how the second beer down tastes.
http://www.craftbeer.com/pages/beer-...ween-candy-bag
Shamus McAnally is offline  
Old 10-25-11, 09:15 PM
  #488  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Beantown
Posts: 4,515
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Has anybody spotted any Dogfish Faithfull Ale? Being a big Pearl Jam and dogfish fan I need to find me a stash somewhere.... and have had luck any normal joints thus far.
SpaceBoy is offline  
Old 10-26-11, 06:28 PM
  #489  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,608
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Anyone got suggestions for what to get when I am on the east coast next week? Gonna be in Florida for a week visiting the 'rents.

I'm bringing my dad some St. Arnold's Pumpkinator, (512) Double Pecan Porter and a 6-pack of Shiner Cheer (which I am eyeing right now, trying not to drink), so I need something to fill the suitcase on the way back.

Mom already picked me up some 120 when it was re-released in August.

Definitely gonna pick up some...

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin
DFH Pearl Jam Faithfull Ale
DFH Bitches Brew (just had this on tap yesterday, god yes)
Yuengling (I know I know)

... anything else that's East Coast/Not Texas exclusive?
RobLutter is offline  
Old 10-26-11, 07:48 PM
  #490  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,107
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by RobLutter View Post
Anyone got suggestions for what to get when I am on the east coast next week? Gonna be in Florida for a week visiting the 'rents.

I'm bringing my dad some St. Arnold's Pumpkinator, (512) Double Pecan Porter and a 6-pack of Shiner Cheer (which I am eyeing right now, trying not to drink), so I need something to fill the suitcase on the way back.

Mom already picked me up some 120 when it was re-released in August.

Definitely gonna pick up some...

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin
DFH Pearl Jam Faithfull Ale
DFH Bitches Brew (just had this on tap yesterday, god yes)
Yuengling (I know I know)

... anything else that's East Coast/Not Texas exclusive?
I don't know if there will be any available since the new batch won't come out until March, but I would definitely try to pick up some of Cigar City's Hunahpu's Imperial Stout. I've never had it but I've heard nothing but great things and I'd be incredibly jealous of you if you were. Their Jai Alai IPA was pretty tasty too.

Don't know what part of Florida you'll be in, but if you're near Naples, you might want to check and see if Trader Joe's is opening next week (though from what I read, I seriously doubt it will be next week). I am enamored with the Stockyard Oatmeal Stout. Even though I was up there for great beer, I picked up a sixer last Saturday during Cleveland Beer Week. For the price, it's a nice go to beer to have stocked in the fridge. Next trip up, I'll pick up a few. (I got the last one from the TJ I hit.)

Not sure what else is "East Coast" exclusive, but definitely look forward to Cigar City. If not TJ's this time, maybe next trip.

Have a safe trip and happy hunting.
Shamus McAnally is offline  
Old 10-26-11, 08:16 PM
  #491  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,608
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Pretty much anything that claims to be "beer" and is over 4%ABV (that breweries don't create special packaging for) is an exclusive. Stupid Texas.

Drinking a St Arnold's Christmas Ale... <3
RobLutter is offline  
Old 10-26-11, 08:56 PM
  #492  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,107
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by RobLutter View Post
Pretty much anything that claims to be "beer" and is over 4%ABV (that breweries don't create special packaging for) is an exclusive. Stupid Texas.

Drinking a St Arnold's Christmas Ale... <3
That doesn't sound good. I'm planning on picking up some stuff while I'm down there visiting my brother.

(Though, in the little bit of research I'd done, St. Arnold's is about the only thing I found.)

I guess the drive there may be more important than anything else.

Not sure how close you'll be to this (and it looks to be more for while you're in FL, not for bringing home), but maybe a visit here: http://www.hobflorida.com/home?

Also, I don't know how accurate this will be to where you are, but here's an interesting list: http://www.ratebeer.com/BestInMyArea...=213&StateID=9. If you manage to find that Hoppin Frog BORIS, do yourself a favor and pick it up. It's top notch! Also, if you find that Funky Buddha Maple Bacon Coffee Porter, please try. It sounds amazing!
Shamus McAnally is offline  
Old 10-26-11, 09:11 PM
  #493  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,608
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

I'd you need suggestions for Texas...

Southern Star Buried Hatchet Stout
Jester King Black Metal Imperial Stout (Stout brewed while black metal music blasts at it, lol) and Wychmaker IPA
St. Arnold's Seasonals (omg, the Pumpkinator)
(512) Pecan Porter/IPA (unfortunately draft only)
Live Oak Hefeweisen (draft only... Top 10 on BA)
Real Ale Lost Gold IPA (best IPA evar on draft... In bottles too!)
Uncle Billy's Insomniacs Coffee Stout (draft only)

Most of those Draft only beers you can get in many places in Austin in Growlers... I highly suggest Whip In in Austin for Texas beer.
RobLutter is offline  
Old 10-26-11, 09:45 PM
  #494  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,107
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by RobLutter View Post
I'd you need suggestions for Texas...

Southern Star Buried Hatchet Stout
Jester King Black Metal Imperial Stout (Stout brewed while black metal music blasts at it, lol) and Wychmaker IPA
St. Arnold's Seasonals (omg, the Pumpkinator)
(512) Pecan Porter/IPA (unfortunately draft only)
Live Oak Hefeweisen (draft only... Top 10 on BA)
Real Ale Lost Gold IPA (best IPA evar on draft... In bottles too!)
Uncle Billy's Insomniacs Coffee Stout (draft only)

Most of those Draft only beers you can get in many places in Austin in Growlers... I highly suggest Whip In in Austin for Texas beer.
Some of those sound really good. I'll have to see about swinging through that way on the way home, but I'm not sure how it will go. I'm a stout fan in particular and a couple of those (and the porter) sound amazing.

(It'd be a little longer on the way home, but it would also take me through a few good to check places on the way back. I'll definitely have to start seeing if I can make this a reality next summer because this could be pretty worthwhile.)
Shamus McAnally is offline  
Old 10-26-11, 10:31 PM
  #495  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 897
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by RobLutter View Post
Anyone got suggestions for what to get when I am on the east coast next week? Gonna be in Florida for a week visiting the 'rents.
You may have a tough time finding Bitches Brew, unless there's a new batch that I'm not aware of. I don't want to discourage you from looking for it, but that beer hasn't been on shelves in a while. What remained after last year's original release immediately disappeared after the first episode of "Brewmasters." DogFishHead did brew another batch, but there were waiting lists and it sold out almost instantly.

Shamus McAnally already recommended Cigar City. That's the beer I always ask for when someone visits FL. I also really enjoy Terrapin's Wake 'N' Bake. It's a great coffee stout that's released in November, so your timing should be perfect.
Renee is offline  
Old 10-28-11, 06:20 PM
  #496  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Minor Threat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 13,736
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Stumbled upon a Nectar Ales - Black Xanthus today. Anyone here tried it or know anything about it?

Minor Threat is offline  
Old 10-31-11, 10:36 AM
  #497  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Minor Threat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 13,736
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Picked up some Founders Backwoods Bastard today, looking forward to this evening.

Minor Threat is offline  
Old 10-31-11, 10:43 AM
  #498  
Video Game Talk Reviewer
 
Canis Firebrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Formerly known as "Vryce"/Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 13,857
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

That sounds good.

I broke open my bottle of Souther Tier's Creme Brulee Stout this weekend. Very, very good. Next time I crave a bottle, I might try to add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to the glass for a dessert float.

The only complaint I had about it was that it left a slightly bitter taste after drinking a sip. Not enough to make me not want to finish, but enough to notice.

Smelling it and then sipping it really hits with the creme brulee scent.
Canis Firebrand is offline  
Old 10-31-11, 11:30 AM
  #499  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
riotinmyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: portsmouth, va
Posts: 9,178
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

i'll be enjoying my last Southern Tier Pumking tonight but i've already got a 12 of these on deck...

riotinmyskull is offline  
Old 10-31-11, 10:18 PM
  #500  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,107
Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Looking to pick up some more Dreadnaught IPA from Three Floyds. That was good. In a few weeks, will be getting some of a beer brewed at the Brew Kettle by some friends. The Dead Poet Imperial IPA. Should prove interesting. Can't wait to give it a shot. (And if it's good, head up there and try a recipe myself.)
Shamus McAnally is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.