Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 12-23-10, 08:34 PM

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by statcat View Post
no because I can't find it and it's too expensive anyway but I'm sure it's good if Weihenstephan helped
Too expensive??? $18 plus tax. Similar to a good bottle of wine (it is packaged in a 750mL wine bottle).

Got mine at Binny's here in Illinois. Hot commodity though. At my local store they burned through 5 cases.
Old 12-24-10, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by shizawn View Post
Currently enjoying a glass of Schneider Weisse.
A quality brew! I'm a big fan and have to remember to pick up a case tomorrow.
Old 12-25-10, 12:15 AM

Picked up my local store's last couple of bottles of Pliny the Elder last night. Not the world's biggest fan of hop bombs, but this is an amazing brew that has made for a very merry x-mas eve.
Old 12-25-10, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finished my night with a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. Amazing.
Old 12-25-10, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Had a few bottles of Rogue's Santa's Private Reserve. Pretty tasty!

A friend bought me some beers for Christmas.
Full Sail Wassail
Lagunitas - A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale
Stone 10-10-10
Old 12-25-10, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought a six pack of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin, great recommendation from here.

I also bought one bottle of Flying Dog Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale. It's really great.
Old 12-25-10, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

You should try Little Sumpin' wild. A bit different but still amazing tasting. And at about $5 for a bomber, a bargain.
Old 12-25-10, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just read a few reviews and it sounds interesting.
Old 12-25-10, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I had a few drafts of Evolution beer the other night: their Exile ESB and the Shelter Pale Ale. Pretty good but not knock-down-their-door spectacular.

They have some rum-barrel-aged beers releasing in Spring 2011... I'd be interested in those.
Old 12-25-10, 10:34 AM

We'll be drinking a Barrel Aged Frosted Frog, a Short's PB & J, and a 2009 Anchor's Our Special Ale today. Cannot wait!
Old 12-25-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Too expensive??? $18 plus tax. Similar to a good bottle of wine (it is packaged in a 750mL wine bottle).

Got mine at Binny's here in Illinois. Hot commodity though. At my local store they burned through 5 cases.
To be fair to statcat for the same price you could get 12 individual bottles of different beers so yeah $18 for one seems a bit high

My pain threshold for individual beers is about $10 unless it is either something I really want to try or it was a really awesome bottle. Like my Morimoto Imperial Pilsner in a ceramic bottle. Easily the nicest bottle I have ever purchased even if I didn't like the beer.
Old 12-25-10, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
To be fair to statcat for the same price you could get 12 individual bottles of different beers so yeah $18 for one seems a bit high

My pain threshold for individual beers is about $10 unless it is either something I really want to try or it was a really awesome bottle. Like my Morimoto Imperial Pilsner in a ceramic bottle. Easily the nicest bottle I have ever purchased even if I didn't like the beer.
Morimoto...is that from Rogue; like the Morimoto Soba Ale?

Last edited by tbone; 12-25-10 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Yup. Just answered my own question searching on google.
Old 12-25-10, 07:18 PM

Yup. Just answered my own question searching on google.

Tried the Soba Ale in the past, and I loved it! So, now I'll have to look for their Imperial Pilsner.
Old 12-25-10, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Just picked up this:

Sam Adam's Infinium. Anyone try it yet? Gonna crack it open this weekend.

Edit: Guess I'm retarded cause I can't pic to display.
My dad picked me up a bottle of this for Xmas, hadn't heard about it, but I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton View Post
You should try Little Sumpin' wild. A bit different but still amazing tasting. And at about $5 for a bomber, a bargain.
Mmmmm...a bar down the street from me serves that (at $5 a pint, unfortunately), but that's some tasty brew.

As for normal, everyday drinking, I've been consuming the Sierra Nevada Celebration just about as fast as they can make it.
Old 12-25-10, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
$1.50 a beer? Twelve bottles of PBR, maybe.
Old 12-26-10, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
$1.50 a beer? Twelve bottles of PBR, maybe.
Create your own 6 packs, in Oklahoma at least, are $8-9. About 50 choices depending on the store.

PBRs can be had for cheaper I believe.
Old 12-26-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Forgot to mention last evening, but my sister bought me a couple of these in a mix and match pack for the holidays, have yet to try one, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they taste like:

Old 12-26-10, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ That stuff really does taste like banana. It's good for a few sips, but the novelty wears off quickly.
Old 12-26-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Picked up a bottle of the 2010 edition of The Abyss. Just watching it sit in the fridge...
Old 12-26-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
^ That stuff really does taste like banana. It's good for a few sips, but the novelty wears off quickly.
This +1
Old 12-31-10, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, I'm ringing in the new year with the bottle of Founder's Nemesis 2009 that I have been sitting on for the past nine months...and I think I should have saved it for 2012. It's still very boozy, to the point of detracting from the maple and bourbon, yet it's very smooth in spite of that. Unfortunately, especially considering the price, I have to rate it as one of the lesser bourbon-aged offerings I have tried.
Old 01-01-11, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Opened up a 25oz Allagash "Black" Belgian-style stout for lunch. Never heard of a Belgian stout, but damn this is great beer. Nice fruity Belgian malt and yeast with the body and chocolate flavor of a stout. Very smooth and disguises the alcohol hit. Like the name implies, it tastes like a blend of a tripel and a chocolate stout. Fantastic winter lunch beer.

I got this as a gift, just looked up the price, it ain't cheap. $10-$15 for a (admitted big) bottle of beer, yikes. It's awesome, though.
Old 01-02-11, 02:03 PM

Opened up my 8 month old bottle of Allagash Four last night. Wow. Thats about all I can say. Very smooth and the high ABV will get you where you need to go.
Old 01-02-11, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Opened up a 25oz Allagash "Black" Belgian-style stout for lunch. Never heard of a Belgian stout, but damn this is great beer. Nice fruity Belgian malt and yeast with the body and chocolate flavor of a stout. Very smooth and disguises the alcohol hit. Like the name implies, it tastes like a blend of a tripel and a chocolate stout. Fantastic winter lunch beer.

I got this as a gift, just looked up the price, it ain't cheap. $10-$15 for a (admitted big) bottle of beer, yikes. It's awesome, though.
I had this last week, got it as a gift as well. Really enjoyed the smoothness, had a nice espresso, coffee smell.

My father got me an Ommegang variety pack with Rare Vos, Three Philosophers, and BPA. I've only had Three Philosophers but he's been raving about Rare Vos. I'll probably crack it open when he comes over tonight.
Old 01-02-11, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tried this today:

I liked it but I think mainly because it was so unique tasting, weird but not in a bad way.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.