Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 10-03-11, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
If you're ever interested in a beer trade, I would love to get my hands on some of that.
Hell yeah. I'm game...
Old 10-04-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Found an event benefiting a charity where there'll be micros (and I thought I understood maybe a homebrew or two as well). Last year the winning brew was a peppermint porter. I'm really looking forward to hitting up this event. I hope they have enough beers to make it worth getting a ticket.
Old 10-05-11, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone on this thread from Wisconsin? I'm looking for somewhere (hopefully in southern WI) that might carry Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale. I drove up last week and couldn't find any. Not sure if it wasn't distributed there or even if it's still available.
Old 10-05-11, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's an awesome local brewery (Bootleggers Brewery) not too far from me, though some of their beers can be found on tap at certain pubs. I haven't tried all their beers, but every one I've tried has been great!
Old 10-06-11, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

visiting DC this weekend and staying 1.8 miles away from dogfish head alehouse - probably going to run a pretty high tab there and probably leave kicking and screaming. can't wait.
Old 10-06-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Tried 3 Floyd's new malt liquor entry 'Region Riot' last night, on tap at a local pub.
Lots of Indiana corn in the mix, and though it clocks in at 8.1% it is light and easy drinking.
Not necessarily memorable, but I always love a beer that can hide a higher abv in the guise of a session beer.
Old 10-07-11, 11:33 PM

Anyone get a chance to try Founders' Canadian Breakfast Stout?

Way too crazy with the fervor over it. That said, if I had a chance, I'd jump at it.
Old 10-08-11, 01:15 PM

I attended the CBS release in Grand Rapids, after visiting Chicago and picking up some Half Acre Daisy Cutter and Three Floyds Broo Doo and Zombie Dust. It's been a great couple of weeks for craft beer!

Canadian Breakfast Stout was incredible. Definitely better than I remembered it from 2 years ago when I last had it. I'm now kicking myself for not seeking out the draft last year during Cleveland Beer Week. One bar tapped CBS the same morning as another tapped Black Biscuit. And, the two locations weren't close enough to visit both after drinking such high ABV beers. In retrospect, I should have hired a DD and tried to make it work.

Despite being completely unprepared for the 37° temps, and having to wait in line for roughly 7 hours, it was all worthwhile. The CBS release locally has been a mess- lots of deceit and outright lies from store owners playing games with the 12 bottles they each received. I'm glad I got my 2 bottles directly from Founders. It's made this past week a lot less stressful.

Great, readily available beers that we've been enjoying lately include Stone 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA and Troegs Perpetual IPA.

I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin beers, but Weyerbacher Imperial, Heavy Seas Greater Pumpkin, Hoppin Frog's Double Pumpkin and Southern Tier Pumking are all at the top of the list for me. DFH Punkin used to be worth drinking, but I didn't care at all for this year's brew.

We're gearing up for Cleveland Beer Week- http://clevelandbeerweek.org If anyone attends any of these events, please let me know!
Old 10-08-11, 11:21 PM

Hey Renee, glad to see you back. From everything I've read, going to the brewery for the release (or having incredible blind luck) is the best way to get CBS.

Hoping to make it up for at least one beer week event.
Old 10-09-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked up a bottle of CBS Thursday of this week completely by accident, my friend bought one as well (last two in the store). Watching one on eBay right now ending in a couple of days and it's already at $150.00. Not bad return on a $16.99 purchase.....

Last edited by Minor Threat; 10-09-11 at 03:43 PM. Reason: pork and beans
Old 10-09-11, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you'd consider sellling that at not so high a markup, I'd be game.
Old 10-09-11, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Had some Abita Turbodog today... awesome!
Old 10-10-11, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Minor Threat View Post
I picked up a bottle of CBS Thursday of this week completely by accident, my friend bought one as well (last two in the store). Watching one on eBay right now ending in a couple of days and it's already at $150.00. Not bad return on a $16.99 purchase.....
Where do you live? I'm stunned at the idea that you walked into a store and accidentally found 2 bottles of CBS. Around here, people were stalking the delivery trucks, camping out in parking lots and buying raffle tickets for a shot at paying for a bottle!

This release was very limited. Cases went to the highest selling Founders accounts, with most states getting around 600-700 bottles total. That's why the Ebay prices are so out of control. 35 states are filled with craft beer lovers that didn't have access at all and 15 stated are filled with craft beer lovers that got shut out due to such a small distribution. I hope you opt to drink your bottle, as you were certainly one of the lucky ones!
Old 10-10-11, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Renee View Post
Where do you live? I'm stunned at the idea that you walked into a store and accidentally found 2 bottles of CBS. Around here, people were stalking the delivery trucks, camping out in parking lots and buying raffle tickets for a shot at paying for a bottle!

This release was very limited. Cases went to the highest selling Founders accounts, with most states getting around 600-700 bottles total. That's why the Ebay prices are so out of control. 35 states are filled with craft beer lovers that didn't have access at all and 15 stated are filled with craft beer lovers that got shut out due to such a small distribution. I hope you opt to drink your bottle, as you were certainly one of the lucky ones!
Which is why, despite all the raves, I'm not worried about it. If it sees wider distribution or I happen to bump into it, I'd gladly try it, but otherwise, it's just another whale in a sea full of fish that are biting.

Speaking of said fish, VE is having Sam Adams night tonight and tapping Oaked Ale, Double Pumpkin, and Maple Pecan Porter. Debating heading out, but I don't see it happening. Hope they have enough for a few nights though, because I'd love to make it out that way.
Old 10-11-11, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thought this was a joke but sadly it appears not to be

Old 10-11-11, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This one is better.
Old 10-11-11, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RobLutter View Post
This one is better.
well they're parodying the video I posted. Think I still find craft beer drinker more ridiculous because it's serious, ultra wishy washy, and pretentious.
Old 10-12-11, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been drinking Lagunitas "Little Sumpthin'", Unibroue "Don de Dieu" and Two Brothers "Ebel's Weiss". All of these are regulars for me, I've had too many blind buys that didn't work out lately and I've gone back to the tried and true. I haven't quite switched over to porters and stouts yet as the weather has been positively summer-ish here. Also, pumpkin flavored beer of any sort is just wrong, IMO.
Old 10-12-11, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Every time I talk to my dad lately in S Florida this week he has been singing the praises of Shipyard Crushed Pumpkin... Apparently a 9%ABV pumpkin ale. Not available here in Texas.
Old 10-12-11, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by statcat View Post
well they're parodying the video I posted.
No, they're parodying this video (and the one you posted was a "response video" to this one):

"I Am A Craft Brewer" is a collaborative video representing the camaraderie, character and integrity of the American Craft Brewing movement. Created by Greg Koch, CEO of the Stone Brewing Co. and Chris & Jared of Redtail Media...and more than 35 amazing craft brewers from all over the country. The video was shown to a packed audience of 1700 craft brewers and industry members at the 2009 Craft Brewers Conference as an introduction to Greg's Keynote Speech entitled "Be Remarkable: Collaboration Ethics Camaraderie Passion." As is tradition for the CBC Keynote, a toast to the audience was offered. This time, the beers offered for the toast were all collaboratively brewed craft beers including Isabella Proximus, Collaboration Not Litigation, AleSmith/Mikkeller/Stone Belgian Style Triple, Jolly Pumpkin/Nøgne-Ø/Stone Special Holiday Ale, and 2009 Symposium Ale "Audacity of Hops."
Old 10-12-11, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by RobLutter View Post
Every time I talk to my dad lately in S Florida this week he has been singing the praises of Shipyard Crushed Pumpkin... Apparently a 9%ABV pumpkin ale. Not available here in Texas.
There could be worse problems. I'm not sure why I never considered this idea/solution before. My brother lives in Texas and I think I may have him start calling me from stores and buying me some stuff. (I think I'll have to start getting in touch with some never discovered family members in other places around the country. )
Old 10-13-11, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Two large Hauls.

From Left to Right:
1 Growler of Spring House Peppermint Stout
3 Troeg Fresh Hop
6 Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale
2 Troegs/Stone Cherry Chocolate Stout
3 Troegs Fest Lager
1 Iron Hill The Great Imperial Pumpkin
1 Jackie O's Oil of Aphrodite
1 East End Old Nebby Stock Ale
2 Weyerbacher Rapture
2 Heavy Seas The Greater Pumpkin
1 Heavy Seas The Great Pumpkin

Left to Right:
1 2010 Pannepot
1 2007 Pannepot Riserva
1 Uinta Cockeyed Cooper
1 Nebraska Brewing Black Betty
1 2009 Cascade Apricot Ale
2 Fantome BBB Dark White
1 Fantome Strange Ghost
1 Fantome La Dalmatienne
2 Fantome Saison
1 Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze
1 Drie Fonteinen Schaerbeekse Kriek
Old 10-13-11, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
Two large Hauls.

From Left to Right:
1 Growler of Spring House Peppermint Stout
3 Troeg Fresh Hop
6 Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale
2 Troegs/Stone Cherry Chocolate Stout
3 Troegs Fest Lager
1 Iron Hill The Great Imperial Pumpkin
1 Jackie O's Oil of Aphrodite
1 East End Old Nebby Stock Ale
2 Weyerbacher Rapture
2 Heavy Seas The Greater Pumpkin
1 Heavy Seas The Great Pumpkin

Left to Right:
1 2010 Pannepot
1 2007 Pannepot Riserva
1 Uinta Cockeyed Cooper
1 Nebraska Brewing Black Betty
1 2009 Cascade Apricot Ale
2 Fantome BBB Dark White
1 Fantome Strange Ghost
1 Fantome La Dalmatienne
2 Fantome Saison
1 Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze
1 Drie Fonteinen Schaerbeekse Kriek
Nice hauls. Really jealous of all those Fantomes, the original is probably my favorite beer and its damn near impossible to get in VA.
Old 10-13-11, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you live far from the beer store or something?
Old 10-13-11, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Haul 1 is from a trading partner who had let some stuff build up. Haul 2 was from a recent trip to North Carolina (and yes, I realize there are no NC beers in it).

At some point I should post pictures of my cellar.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.