Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 07-05-11, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Picked up some Deschutes Inversion IPA at Spec's today... $5.99/6-pack, that's cheap!

Also picked up a bottle of Avery 'Eighteen' Saison. Yummers.

The other day I picked up the Stone RIS Anise Belgo and... uhh... didn't know what to make of it. It tastes like black licorice. Not bad, but I've got another bottle I'm going to forget about on my aging shelf for a couple years to see if that works itself out.

The Stone Old Guardian Belgo, on the other hand, is a work of fucking art. I've got a few bottles of that left to go. Gonna let them sit if I can, but wowsers. They've actually got this on tap at the Draught House in Austin and it's to fucking die for (8oz pour is $5, but it's worth it... 12.9% ABV)

RE: Rogue... I don't know what it is... but I never got the fascination people have with it. Dead Guy Ale tastes Miller Genuine Draft to me, lol. Their Chipotle Ale is the only one I'd grab... and even then there's other beer I'd rather drink.

Last edited by RobLutter; 07-05-11 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-06-11, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by RobLutter View Post

RE: Rogue... I don't know what it is... but I never got the fascination people have with it. Dead Guy Ale tastes Miller Genuine Draft to me, lol. Their Chipotle Ale is the only one I'd grab... and even then there's other beer I'd rather drink.
Rogue is essentially "local" for me - so it's always nice to have a good local brew, no matter the brewery. I only claim allegiance to Heaving Unicorn Brewery which is a very limited production to the tune of 15-20g per year.

Double Dead is totally different than Dead Guy however.

Dead:
Style: German Maibock
Tasting Notes:
In the style of a German Maibock, using our proprietary Pacman ale yeast. Deep honey in color with a malty aroma and a rich hearty flavor.
8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.
Specs:
16 PLATO
40 IBU
78 AA
16 Lovibond

Double Dead:
Style: Strong Ale
Tasting Notes:
Deep amber copper color. Buttery peanut brittle, orange blossom tea aromas follow through to a rich chewy and fruity full body with nice notes of caramel drizzled dried apricot and roasted grains and spice. Finishes with a long, tangy grilled grapefruit and chocolate fade.
7 Ingredients:
Malts: C15, Rogue Micro Barley Farm Dare & Risk Malts.
Hops: Crystal & Rogue Micro Hopyard Rebel Hops
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water.
Specs:
20 PLATO
60 IBU
78 AA
25 Lovibond
Old 07-06-11, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a couple of 90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head and it was too bitter for me. Too bitter really. I will try the 60 Minute.
Old 07-06-11, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
I had a couple of 90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head and it was too bitter for me. Too bitter really. I will try the 60 Minute.
You may like the 60 since it's nowhere near as bitter as the 90. Whatever you do, stay away from the 120.
Old 07-06-11, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This weekend :

Never tried this before.

Last edited by inri222; 07-06-11 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-06-11, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
If you're not into bitter things, I'd steer away from IPAs in general. I'm extremely bitter, so it's the correct style for me I just find 90 Minute extremely sweet and syrupy for an IPA. Good every now and again, but not a daily drink.
Old 07-06-11, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by RobLutter View Post
If you're not into bitter things, I'd steer away from IPAs in general.
Agreed. For some reason, it seemed that most of the things I originally tried were IPAs and just too much for me. So, I didn't try new things any more.

After finally getting past the experimentation thing, I realized how many wonderful things are out there, but I generally shy away from all things IPA. Although, there are a few that don't totally offend my taste buds anymore, but it's easier to just stay away from those 3 letters.
Old 07-06-11, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually like IPAs from time to time. Lagunitas is one of my favorites. But yeah, this one was too bitter, still drinkable, for me, and the second one didn't felt that bitter
Old 07-06-11, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you going to make fun of me if I tell you I like Ruby Ale?
Old 07-07-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer View Post
Are you going to make fun of me if I tell you I like Ruby Ale?
Yes, unless you say you actually order a Rubinator - then you're OK.
Old 07-11-11, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
Who ended up grabbing yours? I was trying to get some for Erik, but they were a little strict on that limit.
My wife's best friend, who lives about 10min from the cafe, got us two bottles.

Anyone try the delicious Blushing Monk from Founder's yet? Absolutely tasty beer!
Old 07-11-11, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
This weekend :

Never tried this before.
Petrius Oude Bruin is awesome!
Old 07-11-11, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got my bottles of Blushing Monk, had one at a bar, it is excellent.
Old 07-12-11, 10:15 AM

I will be in Illinois at the end of July and in Minneapolis in August. Really hoping there's still some Blushing Monk floating around then...
Old 07-12-11, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Xander View Post
I will be in Illinois at the end of July and in Minneapolis in August. Really hoping there's still some Blushing Monk floating around then...
Hell, I live in the Chicago area and I'm hoping to find me some Blushing Monk. Man, that sounds tasty....
Old 07-12-11, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very doubtful.
Old 07-12-11, 03:54 PM

If you really want to try Blushing Monk, I would set up an in person trade for it. Supplies were really low and the beer was difficult to find. I doubt you'll find it lying around in 2 weeks, let alone next month. Most everyone in my area sold out immediately. I think other areas were the same.

I bought 2 bottles- one for myself and 1 for an out of state friend. I'm reading positive reviews, but haven't cracked my bottle open, yet. It's not at all my style, but I love Founders and am curious to see what they can do with raspberries.

I was at a Jackie O's gathering a few months ago where an in person trade was conducted for the last release of Blushing Monk (several years old now.) The Founders rep for this area was on hand, and he was staring at the bottle in awe. It seems he'd never even had a taste of it! However, the person on the receiving end of the trade had plans that did not include opening that bottle at the event. Because of that, this beer has an air of mystery surrounding it, and I'm really looking forward to tasting it!
Old 07-13-11, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One of my favorite local shops (Market Wines) has stock of Blushing Monk...at $14.99 per. I am generally not a berry type of person, regardless of what they are used in, so I think I will pass.
Old 07-14-11, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Been having Scuttlebutts's tripel 7 belgian... 9% alc, best bang for the buck! It's a little syrapy, but it gets the job done.
Old 07-16-11, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Inoffensive, especially since I found it for 75 cents a can locally. I admit, I was of Numanoid's school of thought (earlier in this thread) when it comes to cans because of the usual suspects, but this actually gives me hope that good things can/do come in cans. I am looking forward to canned Oberon next year (?) now.
Old 07-17-11, 03:35 AM

Tried 5 new (to me) beers tonight, but my favorite was this:

Great stout taste and even feel. I need to find the nearest Trader Joe's is located so I can stock up on this stuff!
Old 07-20-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Driving up to Milwaukee's Firkin Craft Beer Festival on Saturday:
http://milwaukeefirkin.com/main.html

Mostly small local breweries - according to the site - but they had me at "cask tent"!

And 'yes', we're staying in a hotel because we're responsible adults...

Tonight I hope to hit my local pub as they're tapping a small keg of Founder's Blushing Monk. Whether I get there before it's gone is another story

Last edited by Pointyskull; 07-20-11 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-20-11, 11:22 PM

If you're going to be in Illinois, the hell with Founders and their Blushing Monk. Find yourself some Three Floyds GumballHead and Apocalypse Cow instead.
Old 07-20-11, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jmu878 View Post
If you're going to be in Illinois, the hell with Founders and their Blushing Monk. Find yourself some Three Floyds GumballHead and Apocalypse Cow instead.
Solid advice, guy asks about a raspberry beer and you recommend him two hop forward beers, which as it is, are not made in Illinois either.

Bang up job.
Old 07-21-11, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Enjoyed a Blushing Monk and Devil Dancer on tap last night.
In the Chicago suburbs, too.

Really dug my first Monk. Heavy raspberry flavor and aroma. A sweet, sweet brew that went down extremely well on a 100 degree day here in Chicago.
Devil Dancer - always a treat.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 07-21-11 at 09:21 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.