Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hops!

Old 05-06-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Nice! Thanks for the information. I rarely if ever get a choice I where I go when I work out of town. However, I'm one of those that makes the most of where ever I am. I already ran in a 5k race that started and stopped in front of Hines Field a could weeks ago...it was a blast.

So yea, I'll have to try them all!! I know I'm being lazy, but are any of those brewery's close to eastern Pittsburgh? I'm actually staying in Greensburg...
Sadly most of these are in Eastern PA except for the Erie brewing which is in Erie but is a couple hours north of Pittsburgh.

However I have heard very good things about Church Brew Works:

http://www.churchbrew.com/

I've been at Fat Heads as well and had a blast, lots of beers:

http://fatheadspittsburgh.com/thebeer.php

If you want wings go to Quaker Steak and Lube:

http://www.thelube.com/
Old 05-06-11, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread. Part 2; Same great taste but this time more hop

Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
I'll have to go back and try Erie again, as I've never been impressed with anything I've tasted by them. Could have been bad luck, but I don't know. What do you like from them/

Lancaster is pretty good. i really enjoy their milk stout. Not a fan of the rest of their lineup though...

Troegs : Fantastic brewery. Can't wait to see what their move to Hershey does for them...

Victory : Go to the brewery once or twice a month as time and money allow. I love it there.
Erie has a Black Cherry Ale that is Fantastic, probably a top 5 beer that I have ever tasted.
Old 05-06-11, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post

You could have at least suggested a place where he could get a decent beer with his meal.
Old 05-06-11, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
True story: The owner of Cigar City Brewing is one of my best friends. I can drink all of that shit I want .
I'm insanely jealous. My in-laws recently took a trip to FL and brought us back a few 6 packs. Please ask your friend to distribute in OH! There are many, many fans here that regularly trade for CC brews. Occasionally, we see Jai Alai on tap and it's like Christmas for hopheads.

Originally Posted by fishingleatity View Post
Merci

Honestly I wish my grocery store sold some micros but alas I live in a poor 'hood on the east side of Cleveland...
What city do you live in? I'm also an EastSide Clevelander and have absolutely no problem at all finding great craft beers to try. The problem is usually more along the lines of affording them all, or drinking them when they're at their best.

I'm active in a local craft beer group and we meet up about once a month at a different location. Sometimes downtown, other times on the East or West side. Shoot me a PM if you want more info.

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
Had quite a few good beers today at the Big Tap In.

I think my favorite were the Peanut Butter Coffee porter from Willoughby Brewing...
Glad to see Willoughby Brewing getting some wider recognition. They have a beautiful facility, but had been turning out very average beers for years- until recently. They have some new management and brewers, and the buzz has been very positive. The PB Coffee porter is also my favorite. I'm excited to see what they brew next, as the brewpub is roughly 5 miles from my house.

... I have heard very good things about Church Brew Works:

These are a couple of great suggestions. Church Brew Works is an absolute must. Their beers are not my favorite, but are solid. The food is much nicer than your typical pub grub. However, I echo this suggestion because the church itself is surreal. They've done an amazing job keeping the structure intact, while fulfilling all of their kitchen & brewing needs. The last time I visited, they had even started a hop garden.

Fatheads restaurant is a Pittsburgh original, but was franchised out to a Clevelander who added the brewery component. They've only been brewing under this label for about 2 years, but they've won quite a few awards. If you like hops, the Headhunter IPA is a must.

I'd also recommend checking out Bocktown http://www.bocktown.com/ and East End Brewing http://www.eastendbrewing.com/ while you're in the area. East End doesn't have a restaurant, but you can sample and fill growlers.
Old 05-06-11, 02:00 PM

I had a pint of the Sierra Nevade Ovila Dubbel the other day. Really unimpressive. Not bad, exactly, but not anything special at all.
Old 05-06-11, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
You could have at least suggested a place where he could get a decent beer with his meal.
Yeah, notice I didn't say anything about the beer; from what I remember it was pretty basic. But the wings are all pretty good.
Old 05-06-11, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Renee View Post
What city do you live in? I'm also an EastSide Clevelander and have absolutely no problem at all finding great craft beers to try. The problem is usually more along the lines of affording them all, or drinking them when they're at their best.
I actually live IN Cleveland, just south of 'Asiatown.' No car either and I'm not dedicated enough to take the bus...so Dave's Market it is, only micro they have is Great Lakes which while decent is not my favorite.
Old 05-06-11, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm active in a local craft beer group and we meet up about once a month at a different location. Sometimes downtown, other times on the East or West side. Shoot me a PM if you want more info.
I'm not in Cleveland often, but I wouldn't mind hitting up something like this. Sounds really cool!

Glad to see Willoughby Brewing getting some wider recognition. They have a beautiful facility, but had been turning out very average beers for years- until recently. They have some new management and brewers, and the buzz has been very positive. The PB Coffee porter is also my favorite. I'm excited to see what they brew next, as the brewpub is roughly 5 miles from my house.
Jealous! My buddy and I were discussing making a trip up there sometime this summer and not only having some more PBCP, but seeing what else they have to offer.

These are a couple of great suggestions. Church Brew Works is an absolute must. Their beers are not my favorite, but are solid. The food is much nicer than your typical pub grub. However, I echo this suggestion because the church itself is surreal. They've done an amazing job keeping the structure intact, while fulfilling all of their kitchen & brewing needs. The last time I visited, they had even started a hop garden.

Fatheads restaurant is a Pittsburgh original, but was franchised out to a Clevelander who added the brewery component. They've only been brewing under this label for about 2 years, but they've won quite a few awards. If you like hops, the Headhunter IPA is a must.

I'd also recommend checking out Bocktown http://www.bocktown.com/ and East End Brewing http://www.eastendbrewing.com/ while you're in the area. East End doesn't have a restaurant, but you can sample and fill growlers.
I'm in Pittsburgh more often, so the next trip down, specifically if it's a CD hunting trip, will entail a few of these places mentioned recently. Looking forward to finding and trying more of these places.
Old 05-07-11, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Working on two new (to me) beers. The weather keeps changing from frigid to warm so I got two brews that run the gamut:

Great Lakes Holy Moses: Traditional Belgian wit style. Very, very pale with a two finger brilliant white head. Lots of coriander, clove and orange peel as any good wit should. Nice carbonation. Perfect summer beer at cellar temp. You can guzzle this stuff.

Founder's Dirty Bastard: very impressive dark Scotch ale. Dark auburn brown with very little head. I like this at almost room temperature. Malty and yeasty and a bit sweet. 8.5% so you need to be careful with this one but it goes down super smooth. One of the best Scotch ales I've had.
Old 05-07-11, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually live IN Cleveland, just south of 'Asiatown.' No car either and I'm not dedicated enough to take the bus...so Dave's Market it is, only micro they have is Great Lakes which while decent is not my favorite.
Every brew I've had from Great Lakes is terrific.
Old 05-07-11, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Every brew I've had from Great Lakes is terrific.
There's something about them bugs me, they're good but not quite there for me... it might be the east vs west thing as I grew up in California and nothing I can find here quite works the same...although I have grown to like almost everything I've found by Victory.

For some reason I DO like Holy Moses, and I'm not a big Wit fan... but the store here never has it
Old 05-08-11, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For some reason I DO like Holy Moses, and I'm not a big Wit fan... but the store here never has it
That's probably because Great Lakes switched it from a "regular" to a seasonal beer a few years back, and it's only bottled/distributed for a few months out of the year now, something I'm sure I complained about in the original beer thread here. It's one of my favorite brews of theirs, along with Christmas Ale.
Old 05-08-11, 09:07 AM

That's probably because Great Lakes switched it from a "regular" to a seasonal beer a few years back, and it's only bottled/distributed for a few months out of the year now, something I'm sure I complained about in the original beer thread here. It's one of my favorite brews of theirs, along with Christmas Ale.
Its available right now..but I haven't seen it in my store..I think they get maybe one case of each seasonal because I saw Nosferatu once
Old 05-08-11, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yesterday I had a couple Smuttynose IPAs while cooking up some steaks on the grill, and finished off the night with a Firestone Walker Double Jack bomber.

A first time for both. Dug the Smuttynose, though it was a fairly traditional hoppy IPA. Good stuff, just not unique in way. I'd buy it again if the price was right - since there are soooo many rock solid IPAs out there. The Double Jack Imperial IPA, on the other hand, was a treat. Bitterness is really balanced by the malt, and that hint of citrus/grapefruit was just right. It hides its 9.4% ABV very, very well.

My wife opted for a Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale bomber from Boulevard Brewing. She's into the Belgian style much more than I...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 05-08-11 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-08-11, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its available right now..but I haven't seen it in my store..I think they get maybe one case of each seasonal because I saw Nosferatu once
The inability to find Cleveland-brewed beers in Cleveland is not improving my opinion of the place.

My local watering hole currently has Founders Red's Rye PA on draught, which is the first time I have had a non-bottled version. I didn't detect much difference, which is to say that I enjoyed it as much as the bottled version. That initial blast of rye still gets me every time, though.
Old 05-08-11, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sadly most of these are in Eastern PA except for the Erie brewing which is in Erie but is a couple hours north of Pittsburgh.

However I have heard very good things about Church Brew Works:

Cool!

Last night I had the Toegeinatior. It was good. I liked!

And I had the Victory Lager...Meh....not my cup of tea.

I'll try some more this week.
Old 05-08-11, 08:41 PM

The inability to find Cleveland-brewed beers in Cleveland is not improving my opinion of the place.
Its just the section of Cleveland... I lived in other areas and had no problems finding a ton of different microbrews, but right now I live in an extremely poor part of town.
To be honest, as someone that grew up in California and has traveled a fair amount, Cleveland is a pretty damn cool place if you can deal with the humid summers and snowy winters. I think the biggest problem here is everyone thinks its a dump, including the people living here, its kind of a self fulfilling prophecy...
Old 05-08-11, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Cool!

Last night I had the Toegeinatior. It was good. I liked!

And I had the Victory Lager...Meh....not my cup of tea.

I'll try some more this week.
As for Troegs, you need to try Mad Elf which is a seasonal brew that comes out in late October and Java Head Stout which is available year around.
Old 05-08-11, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Made the trip up to Willoughby today. According to the website, they're open late (restaurant-11; bar-Midnight) on Sunday, but got there and they were closing up. (Something about a rush from the Mother's Day brunch.)

Anyway, I ended up getting some Peanut Butter Coffee porter to take home for my trouble. While I was waiting, I also got some samples. Wasn't crazy about the Moon Shadow IPA, but I enjoyed the Hopnotic IPA much more. Next time I go back (hopefully later this month), I'll definitely have that and probably sample a few more things.
Old 05-09-11, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To be honest, as someone that grew up in California and has traveled a fair amount, Cleveland is a pretty damn cool place if you can deal with the humid summers and snowy winters. I think the biggest problem here is everyone thinks its a dump, including the people living here, its kind of a self fulfilling prophecy...
I'm mostly kidding. I have a lot of family there, and am up there at least once a year for one family event or another. I don't really have a problem with the place, but I don't think I would ever spend any time there if it wasn't for family. Same with my cousin and Detroit, but I am definitely stocking up on Short's brews the next time we go.

If you are used to California summers, I can understand why you think the summers here are humid. If you are used to Florida and Louisiana summers like me, not so much.
Old 05-09-11, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cigar City is an amazing brewery. I'm sad that all I can get in PA is the Maduro Brown and the Jai Alai though...

They make those 2 big stouts.... and I would kill children to taste them I think.
Old 05-09-11, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Picked up a case of Thirsty Dog's Siberian Night awhile back.

Meh. Gets really good ratings, and I understand why... it's a solid Imperial.... I just prefer my stouts to be a little more fun I guess. I put it on par with Stone's RIS and Old Rasputin. Nice, solid, stouts.

They aren't Ten Fidy, Breakfast Stout, KBS, Wake N Bake or anything in that area... but they are solid.
Old 05-09-11, 11:38 AM

Gotcha. The transportation issue does complicate things quite a bit! Hopefully, you at least get to enjoy some great food in your neighborhood.
Old 05-09-11, 12:13 PM

I'm not in Cleveland often, but I wouldn't mind hitting up something like this. Sounds really cool!
It's a great group of people from all different walks of life. We've found that we have a lot more than just beer in common & it's been a fantastic addition to our social scene. Everyone is welcome! If you find yourself in Cleveland, please PM me and I'll see what we can set up.

There's something about them bugs me, they're good but not quite there for me... it might be the east vs west thing as I grew up in California and nothing I can find here quite works the same...although I have grown to like almost everything I've found by Victory.

Have you tried Great Lakes' Lake Erie Monster? It's a seasonal release that should be out very soon, and has a much more aggressive hop profile than the rest of their brews. We like many of GLBC's brewery only releases, but they really are lacking in a great, year round IPA. Odd, since DIPAs even triple IPAs are so popular right now.

It's tough to stumble anywhere right now and not bump into Holy Moses. Maybe the Dave's store mgr would order some for you?

Its just the section of Cleveland... I lived in other areas and had no problems finding a ton of different microbrews, but right now I live in an extremely poor part of town.
You and I will get along really well. I completely agree with your assessment of things. Twitter has been a hugely positive influence on my life. I've found a large network of people that love this town, embrace all of the culture and actually get out and enjoy all of the opportunities we have.

If you get into Ohio City at all, there's a decent selection of craft bottles at a place called Fulton Beverage. It's directly across the street from Momocho and sells many single bottles. If you decide to use the rapid or a bus, I highly recommend visiting Rozi's Wine House in Lakewood. They have a growler station, single bottles and a large selection of 6packs/bombers. It's very near Deagan's Kitchen and the original Melt, which are both great places for drafts and food.

Made the trip up to Willoughby today. According to the website, they're open late (restaurant-11; bar-Midnight) on Sunday, but got there and they were closing up. (Something about a rush from the Mother's Day brunch.)

Anyway, I ended up getting some Peanut Butter Coffee porter to take home for my trouble. While I was waiting, I also got some samples. Wasn't crazy about the Moon Shadow IPA, but I enjoyed the Hopnotic IPA much more. Next time I go back (hopefully later this month), I'll definitely have that and probably sample a few more things.
Sounds like we barely missed one another! What time did you arrive? Sundays usually feature all day Happy Hour. So, we stopped up there about 4pm to enjoy a half price pizza and discounted draft. Found out that no food was available, other than a Mother's Day brunch, and beers were full price. The place was pretty quiet and one family was overheard complaining that they drove in from Erie! (Thankfully, they were accommodated.) It seems this new management group still has much to learn about customer service.

The Hopnotic and PB coffee porter were also our growler selections for the day! We had a flight of all 8 drafts, and found those to be the best of the bunch.

If you're up for company when you visit next, I'd be happy to meet you there.

Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
Picked up a case of Thirsty Dog's Siberian Night awhile back.

Meh. Gets really good ratings, and I understand why... it's a solid Imperial.... I just prefer my stouts to be a little more fun I guess. I put it on par with Stone's RIS and Old Rasputin. Nice, solid, stouts.

They aren't Ten Fidy, Breakfast Stout, KBS, Wake N Bake or anything in that area... but they are solid.
You just named some of my favorites! We don't get the Wake N Bake distributed here, but I was blown away when I traded for it. Delicious! Founder's Imperial Stout is also fantastic, if you can find it. It was more elusive than KBS this year.

There's a Barrel-Aged Siberian Night on tap around town right now. I haven't had the opportunity to try it, yet. However, friends of mine have been very impressed. I hope to sample it on Friday at the IX Beer Fest going on near the airport.

After bringing home the growler of Willoughby's PB coffee porter, we decided to do a theme night last night. 4 of us made some peanut Thai rice bowls and opened up some peanut beers. Sadly, both the Short's PB & J and the Uber Goober were bad. PB & J was completely infected and smelled like kalamata olive brine. Uber Goober tasted okay, but had lost all of the delicious roasted peanut taste. I think I'm done buying Short's beers. I've been burned far too many times. Sucks, as we were originally thinking of making a trip there later this Summer.
Old 05-09-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sadly, both the Short's PB & J and the Uber Goober were bad. PB & J was completely infected and smelled like kalamata olive brine. Uber Goober tasted okay, but had lost all of the delicious roasted peanut taste. I think I'm done buying Short's beers. I've been burned far too many times. Sucks, as we were originally thinking of making a trip there later this Summer.
Ok, I have to do this on BA constantly, but here goes:

Short's last infection issue was two years ago. Infection is an extremely precise definition. What you experienced was re-fermentation. Because of the crazy additions in Short's beers, if they are not refrigerated, or drank shortly after purchase, they go downhill quickly. The bottles you got were released in December. This is why Joe does not distribute to other states. My trading partners have never had issues with the bottles because they get them within 2 weeks of release.

If you want fresh Short's let me know, I can help you out. And take the trip up to Bellaire, the venue itself is fabulous.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.