Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Am I weird or just in the Christmas spirit?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Am I weird or just in the Christmas spirit?
You should be put back on your meds.
36.36%
Yay! Go consumerism/materialism!
59.09%
Eh, Twikoff has done worse.
4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So with Christmas just around the corner I've told most of my family and friends not to really get me or the missus any gifts. I've always had the attitude that if I want and/or need something that I would just get it for myself and getting me something that I would neither use nor like would just be a waste. The problem is that leaves our nice ol' Christmas tree bare of any wrapped presents and gifts under the tree.

Since I bought myself a... few things for myself in the past few weeks is it weird for me to wrap them up and put them under the tree just so it looks Christmas-y? This is a part of the stack so far:

So would you consider this weird or just in the Christmas spirit?
Old 12-05-10, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Am I weird or just in the Christmas spirit?

I've always considered buying someone a gift, wrapping it, and storing it under a tree for several weeks before allowing them to open it to be weird anyway, so don't worry about how it looks, and do whatever makes you feel good.
Old 12-05-10, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think it's weird at all. Personally, I kind of think that a Christmas tree without any presents under it looks weird. A Christmas tree is not complete unless there are presents under it.

I and the rest of my family are all to the point in our lives where we don't need anything. Like you said, if I need or want something I just go buy it myself. However, my parents have always put a bunch of gifts under the tree and we've always bought each other a bunch of crap just so we have things to open on Christmas day. Each year my family of 4 usually have like 10 things each to open. However, none of the gifts are exepensive or elaborate in the least. They're really just crap that we wrap up so the tree looks full and nice and we have something to do for a couple hours on Christmas day. We don't make up lists and we frankly don't care what we get because like I said, whatever I really want, I would have already purchased myself long before Christmas day.

The last couple years we've gone on vacation over Christmas so we haven't even bothered with the whole gift thing and haven't had a tree either since we haven't been home.
Old 12-05-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 12-05-10, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I put my presents under my rosemary plant. It's as close to a Christmas tree as I have.
Old 12-05-10, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A Christmas tree should have presents.
I'm leaning more and more toward thinking Christmas presents for adults are more of a PITA than they're worth. Most adults just buy the stuff they want, unless it's something specifically of a gift nature like jewelry [of course, if I'm going to spend hundreds or thousands on jewelry, I'm going to want some very specific input from the recipient.]
My Christmas list has about four things on it, things that I've always said "Hmm, I'd like to have that sometime" and totals about 100 bucks. Basically to put on a list because the people asking for the list expect one. And since I'm a dealhunter, when doing BF and online shopping, I kept seeing great deals on the stuff on my list - and most of the people I sent it to, will probably pay full price, which really bothers me.
For adults, again, barring something special [jewelry, tickets to a favorite event, something handmade], I'm really more and more in favor of either no gift exchange or just gift cards for the stores that person likes.

The sad part is, that out of all those boxes and bags and gift wrap, only rarely can I even remember what was received the previous year. For some people just the event of shopping, buying, wrapping, and giving is the rush, and what's actually in the package is only a secondary concern.
Old 12-05-10, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hadrian7 View Post
So with Christmas just around the corner I've told most of my family and friends not to really get me or the missus any gifts. I've always had the attitude that if I want and/or need something that I would just get it for myself and getting me something that I would neither use nor like would just be a waste. The problem is that leaves our nice ol' Christmas tree bare of any wrapped presents and gifts under the tree.

Since I bought myself a... few things for myself in the past few weeks is it weird for me to wrap them up and put them under the tree just so it looks Christmas-y? This is a part of the stack so far:

I'll make sure to show this to my fiancee. She got pissed because I had 6 measly packages delivered in one day .
Old 12-05-10, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Scroogenomics-...1608998&sr=1-1

This book came out last year and I read it. It basically mirrors the OP's feeling--that a lot of Christmas gift buying between adults is basically wasteful because people don't want the things they get and don't get the things they want.

I personally don't put up a Christmas tree because my cats would have the thing shredded on the floor in like five minutes, but when I didn't have cats, I put one up even if no presents would go under it. The lights are pretty and it makes the house smell good. That's the part I liked.
Old 12-05-10, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where u live op? I'll gladly take some of those 'gifts' off your hands
Old 12-06-10, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So with Christmas just around the corner I've told most of my family and friends not to really get me or the missus any gifts.
Does the wife know about this? Imagine what will go through her mind when nobody gets her or you anything if she didn't know. She'll just be bitter at your family for being cheapos and not getting gifts for you guys but they probably got gifts given to them.
Old 12-06-10, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Definitely not weird. Get to wrapping and have a present-stacked Christmas tree.
Old 12-06-10, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Vibs makes a good point here. We keep on hearing how much money gets spent during the holiday season and how much money is earned by businesses during these two months that it makes me aghast at how much crap gets bought and sold right now. Just look at Black Friday and this past weeks. We otters might be buying movies and collectibles at awesomely discounted prices but at least we will appreciate them for a while. But what about all the cheap plastic toys and the like that will be played with during the week after Christmas and then forgotten? Or the crap that people feel obligated to get others that are not appropriate or wanted?

Um wow, now I am just ranting. And I should know better than to post while on painkillers. .
Old 12-06-10, 12:18 AM
bcd

Originally Posted by dtcarson View Post
I kept seeing great deals on the stuff on my list - and most of the people I sent it to, will probably pay full price, which really bothers me.
Totally agree with this. I love my folks but they will not shop deals for the holidays. And it kills me to know that they are paying full price for things. They also love to shop at borders which is horrible for deals on dvd's. I try to urge them towards the online deals this time of year.

But to get back to OP topic. I say wrap them. I ordered pretty much all my stuff on line and have been wrapping it as it comes in. That way I don't have to worry about it. I just keep the packages in front of the fire place since I dont' have a tree. I say wrap 'em, and put it under the tree. Do what makes you happy.
Old 12-06-10, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh yes, I think I am going to spend tomorrow wrapping everything. And my wife actually approves of this for the both of us since she says she can never buy me anything cause I will just complain that I already have it or can just wait to get it on sale. While we live quite comfortably even in this economy I still value a dollar and would rather wait to buy two things I might want later versus buying just one thing now.

And for her gift she's getting a pearl necklace which I think will be enough for now. And yes, I am talking about a real necklace. Dang otters and your dirty minds.
Old 12-06-10, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Scroogenomics-...1608998&sr=1-1

This book came out last year and I read it. It basically mirrors the OP's feeling--that a lot of Christmas gift buying between adults is basically wasteful because people don't want the things they get and don't get the things they want.

I personally don't put up a Christmas tree because my cats would have the thing shredded on the floor in like five minutes, but when I didn't have cats, I put one up even if no presents would go under it. The lights are pretty and it makes the house smell good. That's the part I liked.
Easy solution:

1. Only buy for the adult(s) you're sleeping with on a regular basis...in most cases that narrows one's list done considerably. For pedagogue and Lemmy, not so much...

2. Since you're both adults and because they don't need the illusion of Santa like a kid...straight up ask them what they want and either get that, or pick one or more things off of the list they give you.

Done deal everyone's happy.
Old 12-06-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What does your buying have to do with a religious holiday? Take the tree down and keep buying, you do not understand the point of Christmas.
Old 12-06-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You building an interociter?
Old 12-06-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
I put my presents under my rosemary plant. It's as close to a Christmas tree as I have.
A rosemary plant -- the gift that keeps on giving
Old 12-06-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see no problem with it; I've done the same before. The way I see it, at least I know there are a few gifts under there I'll really want since I bought them for myself.
Old 12-06-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Everybody should buy, buy, buy. That's the only way to kickstart the economy again.

I don't want to derail the thread but how is the economy and the job situation ever going to recover if we continue to NOT buy stuff? That's how the economy works. People buy stuff, companies make money, demand goes up, companies need to hire more people to make more stuff to keep up with demand.

Everybody is in save, save, save mode, but how will things ever get better if the economy doesn't get stimulated by people actually buying stuff?
Old 12-06-10, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
Everybody should buy, buy, buy. That's the only way to kickstart the economy again.

I don't want to derail the thread but how is the economy and the job situation ever going to recover if we continue to NOT buy stuff? That's how the economy works. People buy stuff, companies make money, demand goes up, companies need to hire more people to make more stuff to keep up with demand.

Everybody is in save, save, save mode, but how will things ever get better if the economy doesn't get stimulated by people actually buying stuff?
So long as people live within their means, fine, go nuts. The problem is that a lot of people don't...
Old 12-06-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X View Post
So long as people live within their means, fine, go nuts. The problem is that a lot of people don't...
I agree. I'm certainly no economist but I have a feeling that so many people have been scared to death by all the "experts" out there telling them to save and hunker down and the worst is yet to come and blah, blah, blah that even people that are perfectly capable of spending money aren't because they've been told not to. And that certainly will not help things get better.
Old 12-06-10, 04:52 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
This is why I only exchange gifts with a few select friends. They're people I know really well, and who know me really well, and all of our gifts to each other tend to be thoughtful.
Old 12-06-10, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Derailing my own thread but I have definitely done my fair share in trying to get us out of this recession. I have gone on a little post graduation splurge in the past couple of years and one house and three cars later I am quite grateful that for all intents and purposes this little economic downturn hasn't affected me at all. People still need to be cautious with their money but less fearful and start spending some of it. That is really the only way to get the country out of this hole.
Old 12-07-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So with Christmas just around the corner I've told most of my family and friends not to really get me or the missus any gifts.
Potential trouble here.