Reload this Page >

Do you donate to charity?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-03-10, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently cleared a debt that I'd been playing on monthly so I have a little more scratch out of each check. So, today, after seeing another one of their heart-wrenching commercials, I joined the ASPCA and signed up to donate monthly. With the exception of food drives, this is the first charity I've ever been a part of. So, how bout you?
Old 12-03-10, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Do you donate to charity?

I've given roughly $100 each of the past few years to the United Way. My company is big into them and can set it up as a payroll deduction.
Old 12-03-10, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Doctors Without Borders, primarily. I give to others as well but MSF is my big one.
Old 12-03-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

We occasionally give to a local homeless shelter.
Old 12-03-10, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I make a monthly donation to Unicef.
Old 12-03-10, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I prefer to donate physical items or my time as opposed to money... who knows where that money is going. Coat drives, food donation, soup kitchens.
Old 12-03-10, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I've done payroll deduction for United Way for the last two years.

I've done the Polar Bear Plunge off and on for the last several years (to benefit Special Olympics).

I've supported the American Cancer Society by raising money for a couple of walks (and by being the game show host at a trivia night).

When I was running video stores I ran a campaign that raised over $1,600 that was used to provide a video library and DVD players to the children's wing of a local hospital.

My youngest daughter is a type I diabetic and I've been wanting to get more involved with the JDRF or ADA. I've toyed with the idea of putting on a 100-inning charity softball game to raise funds, but I just haven't gotten there yet.

I've also supported the Screeenwriter's Guild and the actors' unions with my DVD/Blu-ray addiction ...

Things that I won't donate/support: Beyond the above story, I will not donate to hospitals, colleges, or religions -- sorry, you are highly profitable businesses hiding under the guise of a charity/not-for-profit organization. I also won't buy Girl Scout cookies ... it produces petty, backstabbing, vindictive bitches ... and those are the leaders.
Old 12-03-10, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus View Post
I prefer to donate physical items or my time as opposed to money... who knows where that money is going. Coat drives, food donation, soup kitchens.
This.
Old 12-03-10, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I've toyed with the idea of putting on a 100-inning charity softball game to raise funds, but I just haven't gotten there yet.
Is that exactly what it sounds like? How long does that take and how many people do you need?
Old 12-04-10, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I send money to the Union Rescue Mission
Old 12-04-10, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I donate about $350 per year to United Way. I participate in my church's and my work department's charitable drives which are not just at Christmas but several times throughout each year. Tonight when I got off work I went shopping for the three angel trees I've signed up for at church, work, and my co-op development. I also donate time, energy, and skills to my church as the assistant office admin.
Old 12-04-10, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

4-5k per year for the last 10 years or so to St Judes Childrens Hospital in Memphis.

I personally know of a couple of people that had kids spend time there due to cancer and they do great work.
Old 12-04-10, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
Is that exactly what it sounds like? How long does that take and how many people do you need?
(Re: 100-inning softball game) In this case, it would be exactly what it sounds like. I've read about a handful of these and I think only one was actually 100 innings. How many people? That depends on how long each one wants to play. I can think of a few ways to do this:

1.) Each inning costs $x to play ... for example, it costs $10 to play an inning. If you raise $100 you get to play 10 innings.

OR

2.) You solicit your donations based on the number of innings that you play. Kind of like the bowl-a-thons, jump-rope-a-thons, etc. where your sponsors donate $1 per pin/jump/whatever.

OR

3.) Register teams and switch them out at set intervals. This would be staggered (i.e, Team 1 switches out in the 5th inning, Team 2 in the 10th inning, Team 1 in the 15th, and so on).

Another cool thing I thought of is to introduce "special" rules at set intervals to keep it interesting (or even have a wheel to spin to randomly select) ... such as "pirate ball" (batters have to wear an eyepatch), switch to a different ball (baseball, 11-inch softball, 12-inch softball, Chicago/kitten ball, kickball, etc.), run the bases backwards, or any other wacky thing you can think of.

So who wants to play? The goal would be 24-hours ... or I suppose you could just play for 24 hours, no matter how many innings!
Old 12-04-10, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No.
Old 12-04-10, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I do food and clothes donations.
Old 12-04-10, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk God

I give to The Human Fund.
Old 12-04-10, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I donated more money to charity than you paid in taxes last year.

Wait that's not right...
Old 12-04-10, 02:18 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus View Post
This. Although I do give money whenever there is a "big event" that I can't get to, like typhoons.
Old 12-04-10, 02:24 AM
Banned by request

Until my pay got downgraded, I used to give monthly to a charity called Save China's Tigers, which maintains a tiger preserve in South Africa to try and salvage the dwindling population of Chinese tigers. They also ask for volunteers to help for three months at a stretch on the preserve itself, which I'm considering doing after I've gotten my bachelor's degree and before going off to grad school.
Old 12-04-10, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
(Re: 100-inning softball game) In this case, it would be exactly what it sounds like. I've read about a handful of these and I think only one was actually 100 innings. How many people? That depends on how long each one wants to play. I can think of a few ways to do this:

1.) Each inning costs $x to play ... for example, it costs $10 to play an inning. If you raise $100 you get to play 10 innings.

OR

2.) You solicit your donations based on the number of innings that you play. Kind of like the bowl-a-thons, jump-rope-a-thons, etc. where your sponsors donate $1 per pin/jump/whatever.

OR

3.) Register teams and switch them out at set intervals. This would be staggered (i.e, Team 1 switches out in the 5th inning, Team 2 in the 10th inning, Team 1 in the 15th, and so on).

Another cool thing I thought of is to introduce "special" rules at set intervals to keep it interesting (or even have a wheel to spin to randomly select) ... such as "pirate ball" (batters have to wear an eyepatch), switch to a different ball (baseball, 11-inch softball, 12-inch softball, Chicago/kitten ball, kickball, etc.), run the bases backwards, or any other wacky thing you can think of.

So who wants to play? The goal would be 24-hours ... or I suppose you could just play for 24 hours, no matter how many innings!
You're going to need a lot of cocaine
Old 12-04-10, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer giving items (mostly food, clothes) instead of money. Plus I do volunteer work (french conversation classes) at a Help Centre for Immigrant Communities.
Old 12-04-10, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
I donated more money to charity than you paid in taxes last year.

Wait that's not right...
Old 12-04-10, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I give to The Human Fund.
Dangit, beat me to it.
Old 12-04-10, 08:06 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wish I made the kind of money that would enable me to give to charities but I don't so I can't. I have my wife and myself to support on what I make from my computer repair business, I do all right but I don't make enough to throw around at charities. -kd5-
Old 12-04-10, 09:39 AM

20 euro's per month to cancer research.
And every charity that collects door-by-door (around 5 euro's per time).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.