Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Were you held back in school, or have you held a child back?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Were you held back in school, or have you held a child back?

Old 12-03-10, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Were you held back in school, or have you held a child back?

My son who is now 14 was born on Aug 1st. We put him in early and he had some struggles. He got held back in 1st grade but it was because we found out he had bad eye sight and had to get him glasses. Now he is a mediocre student all on his own.
Old 12-03-10, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I was held back...sort of.

When I was in second grade, my teacher approached my parents about moving me up a grade. After thinking it over, they declined worried that I'd have social adjustment problems with the older children. Years later when they revealed this to me, I informed that most of my friends were actually older anyway, and would have had an easier time in the higher grade.

Nowadays I'm still pissed because I could be living 2011 right now!
But you'd have moved forward a year, thus saving a year, thus, you'd be living 2009. Sucks to have to be late with all those memes!
Old 12-04-10, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a parent who is struggling with exactly what you are hoping to avoid, I would give holding him back some very real consideration. It would have been better earlier, but it will only get worse if he isn't mature enough to keep up with his classmates and all the tutors in the world can't fix that. As the academic setting gets more competitive those with maturity issues will really suffer. My son just turned 15 and is a sophomore. He is incredibly bright, but doesn't have the maturity to handle the responsibility of the classes that he should be in. We had to pull him from almost all of his Pre-Ap classes because he wasn't mature enough to handle the workload.

If I could go back in time I would have held him back a year before starting, or when we moved from Florida to Texas I would have enrolled him in his previous grade. We still seriously contemplated having him repeat a grade in Middle School, but the social stigma at that point would have made it too unpleasant.