Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Country living versus city living

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Do you prefer the country life or city life?
Country
28.38%
City
35.14%
Neither, I prefer the suburbs
36.49%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-10, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you've lived in both settings, which do you prefer? Do the statistics show one to be more crime laden then the other? (Specifically wondering if burglary is more common in the city vs country?)

I grew up in the city, but played in the woods behind my house from sun up til sundown. I moved to the country when I was 20 and lived there for 7 yrs. Been back in the city for 7 years and I miss the country terribly!
Old 11-30-10, 10:29 AM

Re: Country living versus city living

Old 11-30-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I grew up on an 180 acre farm and sometimes I get nostalgic and start looking for a house-in-the-middle-of-nowhere on MLS. But I come to my senses when I realize how many conveniences I would have to give up.
Old 11-30-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

yep, a few times a week i run across the street to buy milk, yogurt and eggs or some really small grocery purchase for $10 or so. takes me 15 minutes. in the country it would be an hour trip driving to the store and back.

but with so much niche products being sold online now it's not that big a deal anymore like it was 10 years ago
Old 11-30-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The country is enjoyable. I've always liked spending time in rural surroundings. And I like small towns. But I don't think I'd ever want to live there.

The suburbs are hell on earth.
Old 11-30-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would like to live in the Country, where we live now, not sure if that qualifies as Country or Burbs. We have neighbors, but each home is on a acre - two acre lots..soooo?
Old 11-30-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't live in the country, I live in the woods. I live so far out in the sticks that I refer to people who live in the country as city folks.
Old 11-30-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To me, the suburbs provide the inconveniences of the country, with the annoyances of the city, and none of the benefits of either.
Old 11-30-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post

The suburbs are heaven on earth.
Fixed.

We are close to shopping and work and our friends, but we have a big enough yard to play in and there's even wildlife (possums and raccoons that love to dig through our compost pile).
Old 11-30-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd trend towards Country/Suburbs.
Old 11-30-10, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
To me, the suburbs provide the inconveniences of the country, with the annoyances of the city, and none of the benefits of either.
Old 11-30-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Fixed.

We are close to shopping and work and our friends, but we have a big enough yard to play in and there's even wildlife (possums and raccoons that love to dig through our compost pile).
And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
And there shall be easy access to shopping, with plenty of parking, and lo shall there also be possums in thy compost pile.
Old 11-30-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk God

traffic sucks
people suck

but Im cool with the burbs
Old 11-30-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk God

I much prefer the country.
Old 11-30-10, 12:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate the country.
I hate the suburbs even more.

I like being able to walk to get the things I need/want. Or, if the weather's nasty, take the bus.
Old 11-30-10, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like both.
Old 11-30-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well... all three I guess.

Just saw the poll.
Old 11-30-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dork View Post
And there shall be easy access to shopping, with plenty of parking, and lo shall there also be possums in thy compost pile.

I'm a city girl. I work in the burbs though.
Old 11-30-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the suburbs. The only bad thing is taking 6 minutes to get out of our neighborhood.
Old 11-30-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I hate the country.
I hate the suburbs even more.

I like being able to walk to get the things I need/want. Or, if the weather's nasty, take the bus.
You take your hookers onto the bus?
Old 11-30-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Fixed.

Exactly. I grew up in a small town of 5000 in the middle of the country, and I lived for years in the Chicago loop (which is the heart of downtown). The suburbs really do offer everything, and at your convenience. I have space to live and breathe, I can quickly drive to and EASILY FIND PARKING (a huge annoyance in the city) anywhere I want to go, yet I'm half an hour away from either the city or the country. Hell, you spend half an hour waiting for an El train in the city, all the while freezing your ass off. The one thing I miss about the city is that you can walk to the bar, get blotto, and get home without having to drive.
Old 11-30-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I prefer the familiarity of the burbs... Its funny because Im pretty much the antithesis of the burbs, but I guess since its how I was raised, its what I feel comfortable in. Plus, I like the idea of being close to both the city and country. When Im sitting in my apartment, I think, I need to get out of the city and get to a place where no one is. Yet when we visit my SIL in the backwoods of NC, Im ready to shoot myself Im so bored.
Old 11-30-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Exactly. I grew up in a small town of 5000 in the middle of the country, and I lived for years in the Chicago loop (which is the heart of downtown). The suburbs really do offer everything, and at your convenience. I have space to live and breathe, I can quickly drive to and EASILY FIND PARKING (a huge annoyance in the city) anywhere I want to go, yet I'm half an hour away from either the city or the country. Hell, you spend half an hour waiting for an El train in the city, all the while freezing your ass off. The one thing I miss about the city is that you can walk to the bar, get blotto, and get home without having to drive.
You really shouldn't have to drive in a city at all. It constantly amazes me when people live in a place like Chicago and drive. Although it also amazes me that a city as cold as Chicago built mostly elevated trains.

Most of the shopping I do is within a 5-minute walk or a 5-minute bike ride, and the train is there if I want to go anywhere outside of my neighborhood.

Of course, I grew up in the suburbs, and hated the fact that you needed a car to be able to participate in life. It's a huge barrier to entry to a lot of people, and helps make the suburbs the culturally-dead places they are.
Old 11-30-10, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Of course, I grew up in the suburbs, and hated the fact that you needed a car to be able to participate in life. It's a huge barrier to entry to a lot of people, and helps make the suburbs the culturally-dead places they are.
I can get all the culture I need on FX, sir.

I do wish I had the ability to go symphonies, etc. I am amazed at the relative inexpensiveness to do that compared with some typical show tickets, 17 year old whore singer tickets, etc.

I do wish I had a restaurant around here that was big enough that I had seen them on TV. I know you guys laugh about Chili's, Outback, etc., but I enjoy them, and the closest ones are 75 miles away.

But I don't like crowds, and I don't like waiting for things like buses, taxis, traffic lights, etc.

And I worry that people in the city don't have the time to devote to watching tv because they are too busy mugging and raping people.
Old 11-30-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our metro area suburbs are particularly shitty, overrun by chain restaurants, chain shopping, and chain housing floor plans. I am currently about as suburban as I care to be (an older neighborhood in the city limits with a bunch of specialty stores and restaurants a few miles north of downtown), but I would move back downtown in a second.

Regarding the "crime" question, I parked on downtown streets overnight for over three years, within two blocks of a homeless "tent city" underneath an interstate overpass (before they really cleaned downtown up), and I never once had an issue. My car was broken into while parked in my driveway within the first year at my current house.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.