Reload this Page >

House prices in Arizona?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

House prices in Arizona?

Old 11-23-10, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
House prices in Arizona?

The older I get, the more I loathe winter. I've been thinking about perhaps buying a house in Arizona since I'm familiar with the state. I don't need to live in Scotsdale, nor do I need a mansion. I assume that with the housing debacle and all the foreclosures, a 2 bedroom bungalow with an in-ground swimming pool could be had at a decent price. Any tips? What about property taxes and the like?

And no, I do not want to go to Florida with all the speedo clad Quebecer snowbirds.
Old 11-23-10, 04:55 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: House prices in Arizona?

Compared to Montreal, I'm sure prices are WAY better in Arizona.
Old 11-23-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not sure how much an extremely liberal Canadian would enjoy living in Arizona. They will not be able to differentiate between you and a frenchman and they are suspicious of anyone that has ever crossed a border into America. Might I suggest New Mexico?
Old 11-23-10, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

arizona gets HOT....
Old 11-23-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You aren't going to find too many 2 bedroom places that aren't condos of some sort. Then you won't get your own pool.

3 bedroom / 2 bathroom houses are pretty common. Check the Chandler/Gilbert/Tempe area. Tons of good deals to be had, mostly foreclosures.
Old 11-23-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I'm not sure how much an extremely liberal Canadian would enjoy living in Arizona. They will not be able to differentiate between you and a frenchman and they are suspicious of anyone that has ever crossed a border into America. Might I suggest New Mexico?
People don't speak French here, either. They speak Spanish.

There are, however, two extremely liberal enclaves. But it snows in both Taos and Santa Fe.
Old 11-23-10, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://www.realtor.com/search/search...oc=tempe%2c+az
Old 11-23-10, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk God

I should also note, there are also a few nice areas on the west side of town (glendale, peoria) but I didn't mention them because I hate the west side.
Old 11-23-10, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think AZ just legalized weed to...I have relatives there and have visited there several times, I just do not know if I could handle the dryness and summer heat. And the snakes, scorpions, gila monsters, black widow spiders, bob cats and coyotes. The lizzards and horny toads are pretty cool though.
Old 11-23-10, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Better hang your green card from your hat like a fishing license.
Old 11-23-10, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I should also note, there are also a few nice areas on the west side of town (glendale, peoria) but I didn't mention them because I hate the west side.
What's with the hate for the west side? Admittedly it can be boring out here if your under retirement age or not in the air force, but it's not all bad.

But then again there are the snowbirds, El Mirage, farm lands...

At least as bad as it is out here, it'll never be as bad as Apache Junction.
Old 11-24-10, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
You aren't going to find too many 2 bedroom places that aren't condos of some sort. Then you won't get your own pool.

3 bedroom / 2 bathroom houses are pretty common. Check the Chandler/Gilbert/Tempe area. Tons of good deals to be had, mostly foreclosures.
I used to work for a company based in Tempe. Used to go there 2-3 months per year for 7 years. Company had two houses on a street (can't remember the name) near Rural and Guadalupe where out-of-town employees stayed. Kindda liked that area. I looked at a couple of foreclosures websites for AZ but you can't get past the front page without registering...

Anyway, I have to figure out what the hurdles are in terms of owning a house there, and property taxes, fees for looking after the place when I'm not there, etc...

I have a friend/former colleague who lives there. I called him today and he said he'd try to gather some info for me.
Old 11-24-10, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And I know that AZ is hot which is why I don't plan to live there in the summer. Don't care about the politics either, it's not like I'm going to run for office. All I want to do is ride my motorcycle, play tennis, and relax by the pool without getting shot at.
Old 11-24-10, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
The older I get, the more I loathe winter. I've been thinking about perhaps buying a house in Arizona since I'm familiar with the state. I don't need to live in Scotsdale, nor do I need a mansion. I assume that with the housing debacle and all the foreclosures, a 2 bedroom bungalow with an in-ground swimming pool could be had at a decent price. Any tips? What about property taxes and the like?

And no, I do not want to go to Florida with all the speedo clad Quebecer snowbirds.
Las Vegas and Phoenix areas have some of the cheapest real estate in the country.
Old 11-24-10, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We lived in Chandler Az for five years. Very nice. And actually you can find a lot of 2 bedroom homes. Well a lot compared to say where I'm at now, Dallas. Because of the retired people there are a lot of floor plans for 2 bedroom homes. I actually like them. They make a 1,500 sf home seem like a big home (since each room is big).

Like about living in Chandler/Phoenix Az

-Weather. Weather is fantastic. Much better than I would have imagined. I LOVE it there. Yes, the humidity really does make a difference. For course since you are moving you could live up the mountain a little if you really wanted to. But I love the weather in the valley.
-Typical "big" city. Meaning they have everything. Arts, sports, good infrastructure, heath care (especially good due to all the retired folks).
-Great location for hiking, fishing, or out door stuff. A very short drive to some snow skiing. Like road trips? San Diego, Las Vegas, Santa Fe all reasonable.
-While every chain restaurant known to man is there (it seems). You can get local fare. And it is good.
-Low taxes. At least compared to Texas. Even with no state income tax in Texas, I probably play double the taxes here than I did in Az.

Didn't like

-Traffic is bad. While overall they did a good job with infrastructural, they are struggling to catch up wiht highways and more direct routs.
-Politics. Not only conservative, but just stupid. They about bankrupt the state when they offered tax credits for those that did NG conversions to their cars.

I actually like it better than Dallas. Overall. I'd love to go back and recommend it.
Old 11-24-10, 11:43 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Florida loves the Canucks. You would be among your people down here. Don't be a wuss.
Old 11-24-10, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The Canadians I met in Palm Springs were diggin' my Speedo, but they weren't wearing any themselves.
Old 11-24-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Florida loves the Canucks. You would be among your people down here. Don't be a wuss.
No thanks. I'd rather have illegal Mexican neighbors.

I checked some realtor sites and darn, there are some pretty decent houses for 60-70 grand. Do foreclosed houses automatically go on auction???
Old 11-24-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Depends. Are you Hispanic?
Old 11-24-10, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I'm not...and I loved it there....
Old 11-24-10, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
No señor, soy Canadiense.

Last edited by eXcentris; 11-24-10 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-24-10, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well after some research, it looks like buying property in the US is pretty straightforward except for a couple of tax related issues when you sell the property and financing (which I would not require). Looks like AZ has lower property taxes and insurance costs than FL and CA. I know that FL, for example, has higher "non-resident" property taxes. I even found a couple of Canuck realtors in AZ with their own website which answers a bunch of questions:

http://www.arizonaforcanadians.com/
Old 11-24-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by lopper View Post
What's with the hate for the west side? Admittedly it can be boring out here if your under retirement age or not in the air force, but it's not all bad.

But then again there are the snowbirds, El Mirage, farm lands...

At least as bad as it is out here, it'll never be as bad as Apache Junction.
I grew up in Mesa and currently live in a suburb on the East side. I'm just so used to it, that's why I like it.
Old 11-24-10, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why does every house I look at have this gigantic fugly 2 car garage? Will I be required to buy a pick up truck and get an NRA membership?
Old 11-24-10, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk God

let's think about this. public transportation is atrocious here, so people need a place to park their cars. married people usually have 2 cars, hence 2 car garages.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.