Reload this Page >

Registering cats?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Registering cats?

Old 11-23-10, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Registering cats?

So since when do you have to register cats with the city?

An officer came up to our house yesterday while my wife was home, and asked how many pets we had. When told that we had a few cats, he said they had to be registered, and that in addition to the fee, we would have to pay a mandatory fee because someone had to come out to our house to check.

My first thought, upon hearing this, was that it was some kind of scam. Looking it up, it is a scam, but apparently one run by the city (we recently moved).

Now my cats are spayed and are indoor-only, but if one didn't want to pay the annual fee, what prevents them from just releasing the cats? One of the listed benefits is that the cats, if registered and lost, can be returned to the owner, but I already have microchips in them at my own cost. The real reason seems to be to collect money from people.

Is this a common thing, to have to register house cats?
Old 11-23-10, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Registering cats?

How much will it cost to register them, and how much was the cost to have the guy come to your house?

And I've not heard of registering house cats before. Then again, I haven't had a cat since I was a kid.
Old 11-23-10, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What the hell? How did the "officer" (was it a cop?) know to come to your house?
Old 11-23-10, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm assuming that there was a cat sitting in the window.
Old 11-23-10, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...nse.html?cat=8

You wrote that you recently moved. Did you move to Long Beach?

I had heard that the city of Los Angeles was also interested in getting in on this scheme to bilk people out of more money because it worked so well for the city of Long Beach. It wouldn't surprise me if the LA city council had passed this ordinance.
Old 11-23-10, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Refuse to pay and tell them you got rid of the cats.
Old 11-23-10, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
What the hell? How did the "officer" (was it a cop?) know to come to your house?
I don't think it was a cop, it was an animal control guy. And he didn't know to come to my house, I think he just goes around to all the houses... we're on a little dead end street, so he must have come specifically to canvas.

And this is LA county (unincorporated).

http://animalcare.lacounty.gov/PET%2...ING%20INFO.asp

The sheet he gave says it's 10 bucks. The site says it's 5. The "mandatory fee" for having someone come out uninvited and catching us in a moment of honesty is $40. Like I said, what a scam.

edited to add: that article about long beach says that there is no fee for licensing cats... now I'm confused, did they pass something just recently and are going out canvassing to catch people in violation? WTH?

Last edited by fujishig; 11-23-10 at 03:15 AM.
Old 11-23-10, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

By law you need to register all cats and dogs here, but I never paid for my cat until I moved into a building that required she be registered and have rabies shots. She's an indoor cat so there was never a need to do either til then.
Old 11-23-10, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another government sponsored scam.
Old 11-23-10, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge, that's how.
Old 11-23-10, 07:49 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Old 11-23-10, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't registered any of mine. They are indoor cats and get vaccinated every year. I don't believe in letting animals roam free, which would seem to me to be the only reason you'd want your pet registered with the city--if it got lost or something, you could get it back.
Old 11-23-10, 09:34 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat View Post
I'm assuming that there was a cat sitting in the window.
Either that or someone reported the OP to the cat police. People do that you know.
Old 11-23-10, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My city doesn't charge anything for cats, but you're required to be registered as a "cat fancier" if you have more than three. I currently have four, but am too ashamed to put myself on one of the city's lists of deviants, even though it is free.
Old 11-23-10, 10:10 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
My city doesn't charge anything for cats, but you're required to be registered as a "cat fancier" if you have more than three. I currently have four, but am too ashamed to put myself on one of the city's lists of deviants, even though it is free.
That list does sound like code for "crazy cat person." I wouldn't want to be on that either.
Old 11-23-10, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"We don't have any cats. These animals are just visiting."
Old 11-23-10, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Loony detector van, you mean.
Old 11-23-10, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
edited to add: that article about long beach says that there is no fee for licensing cats... now I'm confused, did they pass something just recently and are going out canvassing to catch people in violation? WTH?
There is a fee for cats in Long Beach if they are "unaltered" and the new regulation which goes into effect next year requires ALL cats to be licensed:

http://www.longbeach.gov/acs/pet_lic...nsing_faqs.asp

Effective Friday July 16th, 2010, all cats within the City of Long Beach are required to have a license, including permanent tag and/or microchip.

How much does a license cost?

Cat licenses will be free in the city of Long Beach effective July 16th, 2010 until January 01, 2011. After January 01,2011 fees will apply and be set by the City Council.
I think part of the Long Beach scam is that people who register their cats NOW for free will be shooting themselves in the foot (so to speak) because the city of Long Beach will have them on record as having cats and in 2011 when the next phase of licensing (which will cost money) goes into effect, the city will merely send out payment due notices (and probably delinquent due notices) to start raking in the money.

I had heard that the city of Los Angeles (with Villar and his City Council goons licking their lips at the thought of a new way to tax its citizens) had adopted the same program as Long Beach, but I can't find a link to the news story.

Never underestimate the politicians in California to think of new ways to shake the few remaining coins out of your pockets. You do remember the soda tax they tried to push through, right?
Old 11-23-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's why I'm confused... there is already a licensing fee (it's not free) and a mandate to license cats in non-incorporated parts of LA, and I can't figure out when this started or why. The $40 fee is also ridiculous to me, but now they have my address, so what's done is done. I still can't believe they pay someone to go around knocking on doors... if I were home at the time, I don't think I'd answer the door because I'd think it was some kind of (non govt) scam.

As for the soda tax... they already get the CRV added to every purchase that involves bottles or cans, and it's nearly impossible to get your money back even if you do recycle... but it has increased the number of homeless people rummaging though my trash, so I guess it had some effect.

My main problem with this is that it could result in MORE cats being abandoned/allowed to live outside with no spaying/neutering, which is what this is supposedly trying to prevent...
Old 11-23-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's why I'm confused... there is already a licensing fee (it's not free) and a mandate to license cats in non-incorporated parts of LA, and I can't figure out when this started or why. The $40 fee is also ridiculous to me, but now they have my address, so what's done is done. I still can't believe they pay someone to go around knocking on doors... if I were home at the time, I don't think I'd answer the door because I'd think it was some kind of (non govt) scam.

As for the soda tax... they already get the CRV added to every purchase that involves bottles or cans, and it's nearly impossible to get your money back even if you do recycle... but it has increased the number of homeless people rummaging though my trash, so I guess it had some effect.

My main problem with this is that it could result in MORE cats being abandoned/allowed to live outside with no spaying/neutering, which is what this is supposedly trying to prevent...
Please, this is about money, pure and simple.
Old 11-23-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Cat fancier.
Old 11-23-10, 01:53 PM

My city doesn't charge anything for cats, but you're required to be registered as a "cat fancier" if you have more than three.
Old 11-23-10, 02:04 PM

They will answer that by fining you for animal abuse and cruelty because the cats are now registered or micro-chipped and you are the legal caretaker.

arminius said it all:

Please, this is about money, pure and simple.
Old 11-23-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Right, they can track you down after you register. However, if you picked up a stray cat and wanted to keep her in your home, but some guy came to your house and said that you had to pay 10 bucks annually, a 40 fee, etc., wouldn't that cause some people to make the cat an outdoor cat and deny involvement?
Old 11-23-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cedar Rapids, Iowa recently brought this idea up, and thankfully it was shot down. It's a damn shame that the government keeps coming up with these ways to tax us for everything.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.