Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Help with application for new job !

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Help with application for new job !

Old 11-19-10, 04:19 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,616
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with application for new job !

After a very long time, I've decided to go back to work. I've been living off a malpractice lawsuit/social security money from a family members death. Anyway, I'm filling out an app to get into the public schools as a janitor. It's been a looong time since I've filled an application and I want to do it right. I'm at a section where I'm being asked to provide a statement which i think might be of value in them considering me for a position. Any help is appreciated...thanks!
Old 11-19-10, 04:51 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
E. Honda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: A sweaty sauna somewhere in Japan
Posts: 1,720
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Help with application for new job !

What you put on the application is really irrelevant, just list your strengths and people skills. What is more important is that they will run a background check on you. If you come up clean, you will stand a good chance of being hired.
Old 11-19-10, 09:44 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,062
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Help with application for new job !

Let them know that you no longer have to register as a sex offender. Big plus!
Old 11-19-10, 11:24 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 29,213
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Help with application for new job !

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
After a very long time, I've decided to go back to work. I've been living off a malpractice lawsuit/social security money from a family members death. Anyway, I'm filling out an app to get into the public schools as a janitor. It's been a looong time since I've filled an application and I want to do it right. I'm at a section where I'm being asked to provide a statement which i think might be of value in them considering me for a position. Any help is appreciated...thanks!
Well...think about the skills that are important to them. And if you have them AND can demonstrate/give an example, than list those.

For example; a janitor position, I would think one thing they would be looking for would be reliability. Always showing up for work and on time. Since you have limited work examples, use something personal. For example if you volunteer at church or homeless shelter (or anything). Put down that you have "reliable transportation" (be that a car, bus or whatever). You might mention your attention to detail and that you keep up with investments or help family with taxes.

The key (IMO) is not to just rattle off a laundry list of skills. But to be able to provide examples and demonstrate that you really have those skills. Anyone can say "I'm a people person". But many have trouble giving examples or demonstrating they really are.

Now you don't want to write three pages. Just a sentence or two will do. Than you can elaborate in an interview (but again no more than 3-4 minute examples).
Old 11-19-10, 11:29 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Navinabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 8,941
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Help with application for new job !

Be vague with employment and education dates if you are not exactly sure. (Fall 2005 is better then 11/3/05)
Old 11-19-10, 11:52 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 10,027
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Help with application for new job !

You definitely picked the best time to re-enter America's workforce.
Old 11-19-10, 03:34 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 3,546
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Help with application for new job !

Tell them you know where Jimmy Hoffa is. That should get you an interview!!!!
Old 11-19-10, 03:41 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 29,213
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Help with application for new job !

I'd also not mention that you have been living, at least partly on a lawsuit. If they ask why you haven't been working, tell the truth, but just enough. I'd say something like "I needed to take care of my health" if that is what the issue was. But don't offer more. Any reasonable company following the law, should not ask more. They may provide you a list of job requirement (lifting up to 25lbs, stooping, walking, climbing ladders, etc) and if you can meet those requirements. But they should not ask you what your health issues are/were and you do not need to provide them.

But probably obvious they might have thoughts about why you would sue. They really can't ask you about that which might actually be worse. And even if it was an over the top obvious reason to sue, I can't see that ever sounding good to a company. Or a way you can say it that doesn't sound bad. Plus it has no bearing or adds value to them. So I'd leave it out.
Old 11-19-10, 05:31 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
jfoobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 37,855
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Help with application for new job !

Slight hijack here, but I would think (in most places anyway) that there would be a lot of competition of school janitor positions right now. If you find this to be the case, consider something easier to get to re-establish a current employment record. Contract custodial services for private businesses or even a dishwashing position in a large restaurant might fit the bill and provide at least a decent hourly wage. In both cases, you may be working with overwhelmingly immigrant labor (in case that bothers you).
Old 11-19-10, 05:49 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,616
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Help with application for new job !

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I'd also not mention that you have been living, at least partly on a lawsuit. If they ask why you haven't been working, tell the truth, but just enough. I'd say something like "I needed to take care of my health" if that is what the issue was. But don't offer more. Any reasonable company following the law, should not ask more. They may provide you a list of job requirement (lifting up to 25lbs, stooping, walking, climbing ladders, etc) and if you can meet those requirements. But they should not ask you what your health issues are/were and you do not need to provide them.

But probably obvious they might have thoughts about why you would sue. They really can't ask you about that which might actually be worse. And even if it was an over the top obvious reason to sue, I can't see that ever sounding good to a company. Or a way you can say it that doesn't sound bad. Plus it has no bearing or adds value to them. So I'd leave it out.
Thanks everyone for the input. I actually didnt say I've been out of work for years on the app. The last job I had, I was supervising the sales dept for an alarm co. so I just said I was there up until July of this year and the dept closed which is why I am not there anymore. For the phone number and name of my boss I gave my friends name and number lol. I doubt theyd call though bc I have had family working for the school district for years so I thunk the app is just a formality, there prob wont even be an interview.
So according to what Sdallnct mentioned, I guess I can state that I'm reliable with my own means of transportation and that I go to the gym on a regular basis so lifting/climbing ladders, etc wouldnt be a problem.
Old 11-19-10, 07:02 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 29,213
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Help with application for new job !

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
Thanks everyone for the input. I actually didnt say I've been out of work for years on the app. The last job I had, I was supervising the sales dept for an alarm co. so I just said I was there up until July of this year and the dept closed which is why I am not there anymore. For the phone number and name of my boss I gave my friends name and number lol. I doubt theyd call though bc I have had family working for the school district for years so I thunk the app is just a formality, there prob wont even be an interview.
So according to what Sdallnct mentioned, I guess I can state that I'm reliable with my own means of transportation and that I go to the gym on a regular basis so lifting/climbing ladders, etc wouldnt be a problem.
Well I could have wrong, but the way you described your lawsuit, I just assumed it was a medical thing. If not, no big deal.

And I'm not saying you should offer up what you can physically do or not do. I'm just saying there are very strict laws about what they can ask regarding health (due to the disability act, privacy laws, etc). But they can tell you the job requirements and than ask if you can meet those requirements. I'm not sure how physical the job is you are applying for. And I would not elaborate on these questions. If they say something like "the job requires you to be on your feet for 8 hours a day with one lunch break, will you be able to do this". Just say "yes". No talk about the gym or what great shape your in or anything. If they say "the job requires you to carry, set up, take down and climb a 6 ft ladder for the purposes of hanging light objects, changing light bulbs ect. Can you do this". Again just say "yes" (if you can of course). Again no need to elaborate.
Old 11-19-10, 07:16 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,616
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Help with application for new job !

Well, it was a medical thing...I had the Hodgkin's years ago and was misdiagnosed... although whats that matter lol?

Anyway, I'm not concerned with the questions they may ask me. Like I said, I probably wont even be interviewed. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what to write for the applicants statement on the application.
Old 11-19-10, 08:08 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,207
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Help with application for new job !

Totally mention your nearly 1,900 posts on DVDTalk...that speaks to your dedication to stuff!
Old 11-19-10, 08:27 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 20,075
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Help with application for new job !

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
After a very long time, I've decided to go back to work. I've been living off a malpractice lawsuit/social security money from a family members death. Anyway, I'm filling out an app to get into the public schools as a janitor. It's been a looong time since I've filled an application and I want to do it right. I'm at a section where I'm being asked to provide a statement which i think might be of value in them considering me for a position. Any help is appreciated...thanks!
<img src=http://editorial.sidereel.com/Images/Posts/charlie.jpg alt=ch
Old 11-20-10, 12:17 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,810
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Help with application for new job !

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I'd also not mention that you have been living, at least partly on a lawsuit.
I had to laugh ... this brought back a memory of an interview that I conducted years ago ... the young lady being interviewed proceeded to tell me all about her sexual harassment suit against her former employer. She proudly kept bringing everything back to that ...

(Question) "Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond your normal duties." (Answer) "When I first reported the sexual harassment, I didn't have to do that."

(Question) "Tell me about a time when you solved a problem and how you followed up to ensure proper resolution." (Answer) After I reported my boss, I went to an attorney who said that I probably have a good case."

I wasn't sure if the guy was more unlucky because he was being sued or because he possibly did it (she was a beastly young lass). No, I didn't hire her ... or even shake her hand on the way out.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.