New Camera/Photography Question

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-18-10, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi all,
I've been thinking of getting a new camera since my old Canon X10 froze to death last year. Recently I started thinking I wanted a camera that not only was a good image cam but also had a decent movie mode. This summer I shot a documentary using my friends Canon SX20 and was happy at how that turned out for a project. So, I was thinking the current Canon SX30 might be good for me but wanted to hear other photographers ideas.

Mainly, though a hi-end camcorder might be best for movie projects I also wanted something that could be a point and shoot. SLRs seem like a lot more advanced for my knowledge and also don't have that movie options...at least from what I have seen.

Suggestions?
Old 11-19-10, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: New Camera/Photography Question

i have a canon s5 which is a few models older than the sx30. its a great camera. its simple enough for point and shoot yet it has a lot of controls that you can dig into and learn how to use a dslr. the flip out screen is really nice too. ive never used the sx30 but i would say thats a great choice, probably your best unless you want to go used or refurbished and get a cheaper deal on an older model. i also have a dslr but i keep the s5 around for a quick all around camera. oh and most dslrs do shoot movies now and you can manually focus with them if you want to get all artsy.
Old 11-19-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
... SLRs seem like a lot more advanced for my knowledge and also don't have that movie options...at least from what I have seen.
They do these days. Check out the newer Canons if you are interested.
Old 11-20-10, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

True, the newest Canon 60D dSLR has video capabilities, and has a flip-out LCD screen for video shooting. Canon also has the T2i (less expensive than the 60D), and the 7D (more expensive than the 60D) for model with video capabilities (the full frame 5D MKII is probably out of your price range, but also has video capabilties).
Old 11-20-10, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i believe the t1i also does hd video.......it's typically about $699 mail order (with kit lens)

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T1i-Digi...0296307&sr=8-1
Old 11-20-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As a side note, if you have your old broken Canon still, Canon has a loyalty program where you can trade it in and get a nice discount on a refurbished newer Canon.

Fatwallet has a thread about it. Link: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/849344/
Old 11-20-10, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i wish they gave more for a 300d.
Old 11-20-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wish I was a little bit taller.
Old 11-20-10, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

at least you're a baller.
Old 11-21-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the advice here...and the link, Cranky.

Looked at SLRs today. Woah, a little intimidating. I think my main fear is not being able to master the manual focus/controls as I relied really heavifly on the P mode setting on my old point and shoot. However, the videos on youtube from the Rebel series movie mode look amazing. Perhaps what i need is one camera for movies (ie: hi-end camcorder) and one for images although I would prefer they do both in one.

Are SLRs hard to master for a novice like me? Oh, and I am looking for something under $800 preferably.
Old 11-21-10, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

These low/mid level DSLR's are geared towards the the average user and they all have "automatic" scenes modes and AF which means you don't have to mess with manual settings if you don't want to. Don't own one, but from what I've read, the movie mode of the Canon T2i is vastly improved over it's predecessor (T1i) which could only do 1080p at 20 fps and did not have single autofocus operation during movie recording (although one might argue how useful that feature is). I suggest you read the dpreview:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS550D/

Roughly $800 with kit lens if you shop around.
Old 11-21-10, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

keep an eye out on their refurb site as well

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...10051_-1_29252

some good deals can be had.
Old 11-22-10, 06:27 AM

honestly if you arent interested in really getting into photography then dont bother with a dslr. a superzoom will do everything you need and the picture quality will be more than enough for you. you will end up spending a lot more then you think with a dslr once you start getting into lenses. unless you are going to be doing a lot of lowlight photography like indoor sports and and concerts then a dslr is probably more than you need. even then the lens that comes with it isnt great for lowlight so you will need to shell out at least a hundred bucks or more for a 1.4 or 1.8 lens. and thats only for a 35mm or 55mm if you want a zooming capability then your talking close to 1,000. also if you want to match the zooming capabilities it will cost you thousands for a lens that will...if they even make a lens for dslrs that zoom that much. if they do its probably a huge telescope style lens.

get the sx30 then in a yr if you find yourself limited by the camera or wanting to get into photography more then you can get a dslr. you can keep both for when you need a really long zoom or for when you dont want to lug around your dslr and lenses.

if you really want a dslr the nikon d3100 is only $600.

Last edited by chino77; 11-22-10 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-23-10, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I was thinking of the Nikon d3100 actually after reading that it is very similar to the Canon and cheaper.

BestBuy here has the kit as well as a 55-200 Telephoto lense for $850.

Good deal?
Old 11-23-10, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

55-200 is not a good walkabout lens - does the kit include a 18-105?
Old 11-24-10, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rabbit77 View Post
55-200 is not a good walkabout lens - does the kit include a 18-105?
No, only the 18-55 I believe.
Old 11-24-10, 06:54 AM

BestBuy here has the kit as well as a 55-200 Telephoto lense for $850.

Good deal?
no
amazon has it for $797 + free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D3100-Digital-18-55mm-55-200/dp/B003ZYF42C/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1290599254&sr=1-7

you might want to pick up the body only and a refurbished 18-105 for $790. links to both....
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D3100-Digital-Camera-Body/dp/B004ALFV5Y/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1290599718&sr=1-3
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._6G_ED_VR.html
Old 11-24-10, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Another advantage of a superzoom that one may not think of is that, if you go to sporting events, your camera might get checked for the physical size of the lens. It's happened to me on more than 1 occasion where I was told anything over 3" would not be allowed unless I had a photo pass...so my Panasonic was fine and it's only 18x. I can't imagine what the 35x of the sx30 would be like. I might have to check that Canon out.

No zoom...

18x zoom:
Old 11-24-10, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, you guys aren't making this any easier. :P

Just previewed the D3100. I found it to be noisy when focusing which isn't good. I like the option on the Rebel to include an external mic which would be important for serious movie making. Leaning in that direction though a shopkeep I spoke to today told me of the new Panasonic GH2. Seems a tad out of my price range, though.

Come on boxing week sales.

Nice zoom there, Tom.
Old 11-24-10, 05:53 PM

I found it to be noisy when focusing which isn't good.
the lens would be noisy not the camera. entry level nikons have the auto focus motor in the lens. what lens did you think was noisy? i have the 18-55 and it isnt noisy at all. the 18-105 isnt noisy either.

i still say your best bet is the sx30. you dont sound like you are into photography enough to need a dslr. unless you know how to use a dslr your pics arent going to be any better...unless you are taking low light pics. the canon super zooms hold their value pretty good too. my s5 is 4 yrs old and they still get close to $200 on ebay...i paid $300 for it. so if you want to sell it in a year and get a dslr you wont lose much money. im betting the sx30 is more than enough for you though.

Last edited by chino77; 11-24-10 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-24-10, 06:01 PM

I like the option on the Rebel to include an external mic which would be important for serious movie making.
sounds to me you might be better off with an actual movie camera. not a dslr with video added on.
Old 11-24-10, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
the lens would be noisy not the camera. entry level nikons have the auto focus motor in the lens. what lens did you think was noisy? i have the 18-55 and it isnt noisy at all. the 18-105 isnt noisy either.

i still say your best bet is the sx30. you dont sound like you are into photography enough to need a dslr. unless you know how to use a dslr your pics arent going to be any better...unless you are taking low light pics. the canon super zooms hold their value pretty good too. my s5 is 4 yrs old and they still get close to $200 on ebay...i paid $300 for it. so if you want to sell it in a year and get a dslr you wont lose much money. im betting the sx30 is more than enough for you though.
Hi Chino,

I know I have been focusing on video a lot but I actually have taken more photos then video. With my old Canon S2 IS I took well over 10,000 photos in it's lifespan including some I've published in bookform. I took minor video with it.

Recently I shot a documentary on an SX10 and it looked alright but certainly not up to some of the DSLR videos I've seen over on Youtube.

Basically, I am wanting to start dabbling more into shooting weddings/short films and want a single camera to do both photos and video on a higher-end level to what I have done in the past.

My worry in stepping up into an SLR was not getting a grip on the manual controls but have learned that they have auto modes to help out with this. Unlike, say, the SX30 the ability to upgrade things is quite nice as well as it expands the longevity. Hence, why I have been leaning away from my point and shoot ways of the past.
Old 11-24-10, 09:15 PM

well as long as you know what you are getting into, get a dslr. be prepared to spend lots of money in the future though. i personally wouldnt get a panasonic or any 4/3rds dslr ...canon or nikon for me.
Old 11-24-10, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you're talking weddings, then you will want high quality photos. Best thing for a wedding photog to have is positive word-of-mouth... those become referrals. If you're not used to manual controls maybe either take a beginners class or maybe a shutterbug friend has the time and interest to help you get started.

Plus, as chino said, be prepared to spend some money.
Old 11-26-10, 02:41 PM

It sounds to me you're ready for the jump to a DSLR - just be prepared to spend money, like others have said. Most serious amateurs and professional photographers spend the majority of their money on lenses and not as much on the body. Digital technology changes and improves so rapidly that a DSLR body becomes obsolete in three to four years whereas good lenses will last much longer.

For now, I'd suggest an entry level DSLR such as the Nikon D3100, D5000 (or a used D90) or Canon T2i. You really can't go wrong with either brand. Just keep in mind, once you start investing in good lenses, you're probably going to have to stick with that particular brand of DSLR since it's expensive to sell old lenses and switch.

Next, learn all you can about DSLR photography! Shoot as much as possible. Join photography forums on flickr, dpreview.com, and smugmug to name a few. There's also a lot of good "how to" and "technique" videos on YouTube. Ask questions. Analyze others' photos. Volunteer to shoot friend's events for free to gain experience (kids' birthdays, parties, sporting events, etc).

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.