Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Where do you draw the line on medical treatment spending for your pets?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Where do you draw the line on medical treatment spending for your pets?

Old 11-19-10, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Where do you draw the line on medical treatment spending for your pets?

Sorry for your loss, aktic. But take comfort in the knowledge that you did everything you could for him.
Old 11-19-10, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Again, I have to look at these threads and again here I am trying not to cry at work. That picture of him almost has me bawling.

So sorry for your loss.
Old 11-19-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 521 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Just got the dreaded call...Tucker passed away sometime after midnight. Worst thing is he was all alone, I just pray he was drugged up and wasn't in pain and feeling all alone.

RIP buddy...
What a precious little boy. I'm so sorry for your loss, aktick. But he had two good years with you, and you gave him a good life.

Don't worry about how he felt or how he was before he went. He is safe and happy now and will never hurt or be scared again.

((((((hugs)))))))) to you

Vibs
Old 11-19-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just got the dreaded call...Tucker passed away sometime after midnight. Worst thing is he was all alone, I just pray he was drugged up and wasn't in pain and feeling all alone.

RIP buddy...
Really sorry to hear. After losing two dogs myself I understand your loss.
Old 11-19-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I am so so sorry to hear this.
Old 11-19-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry for your loss, aktick.
Old 11-19-10, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$500 typically. My current cat, $200 tops. She was a stray snuck in from another country. When she was a kitten she tormented my old cat who was my favorite and he was de-clawed and getting old at the time. He had a size advantage as she's a runt, but claws made a difference and she doesn't get along with other animals. She's selfish too, not a friendly cat unless she needs a warm lap or food in her bowl. If she ran away there would be no search. Thanks to her I have no desire to own any more pets. She's 9 years old, my last cat died at 12, she better not be one of these 15-18 year old cats
Old 11-19-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury View Post
$500 typically. My current cat, $200 tops. She was a stray snuck in from another country. When she was a kitten she tormented my old cat who was my favorite and he was de-clawed and getting old at the time. He had a size advantage as she's a runt, but claws made a difference and she doesn't get along with other animals. She's selfish too, not a friendly cat unless she needs a warm lap or food in her bowl. If she ran away there would be no search. Thanks to her I have no desire to own any more pets. She's 9 years old, my last cat died at 12, she better not be one of these 15-18 year old cats
Damned illegal immigrants, causing trouble for the rest of us!
Old 11-19-10, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by glassdragon View Post
It was the only emergency place on a Saturday morning and all the other places i checked were closed. If he was right then I would have waited until Monday and he would have died anyways, and then had to live through 2 days of excruciating pain. I didn't want to see him in pain any longer. That's even if I could have come up with the money. As stated I had no access to that kind of money on such short notice.
An emergency vet hospital couldn't do emergency surgery? Ugh. Sorry, man.
Old 11-19-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
Tough question. I get very attached to the dogs I've had and would do pretty much anything within my power for them. That said, after spending close to 7 grand on my first dog when he was essentially nearing the end of his life, I think I'm now able to accept that dogs aren't going to live forever, no matter how much money I spend. My current dog is now 9, and is still very active and healthy - but I know he's going to start slowing down at some point. I'll do whatever I can to maintain his quality of life, and when it gets to the point where I need to let go, I won't let him suffer. I so totally dread that day.
I'm with you. My oldest dog is 14 and really just started slowing down a lot at 12. I can't walk her anymore but she wants to badly. I take her in front of my house a bit, cross the street, and head back inside. She likes that. Still the same personality and feistiness, her body is just giving up. It's sad. At this age though, I can't see putting her through any traumatic treatments. She was just diagnosed with a malignant melanoma in her mouth which we removed for $1000. That's about as far as I'm going to go. Vet talked about oncologists and other nonsense. Just give me meds to make her comfortable.
Old 11-19-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

RIP buddy...
That's too bad. Hang in there.
Old 11-19-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I'm with you. My oldest dog is 14 and really just started slowing down a lot at 12. I can't walk her anymore but she wants to badly. I take her in front of my house a bit, cross the street, and head back inside. She likes that. Still the same personality and feistiness, her body is just giving up. It's sad. At this age though, I can't see putting her through any traumatic treatments. She was just diagnosed with a malignant melanoma in her mouth which we removed for $1000. That's about as far as I'm going to go. Vet talked about oncologists and other nonsense. Just give me meds to make her comfortable.
I was wondering what happened to your dog as you had written in my thread that she was going in to have that looked at. I was ready to put Zoe down on the table if the Vet had seen any cancer inside while removing her spleen. When a dog lives to be 14, or even 12 like mine you just know that they may not be around much longer. We should consider ourselves blessed to have them for that long.
Old 11-19-10, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really appreciate the kind words guys. I'm terrible at talking through these types of things with the "real" people in my life, and often leave them pent up, so it's nice to have understanding folks here.

I picked up Tucker and took him to my parents' farm where I grew up a few hours away, and buried him next to my childhood dog, made a nice little headstone for him. Probably the hardest (emotionally) thing I've ever done, but I'm feeling much better now, especially knowing this...

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Don't worry about how he felt or how he was before he went. He is safe and happy now and will never hurt or be scared again.
Thanks, that's very nice and to the point.
Old 11-19-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, that's very nice and to the point.
(((((((((((((((((((aktick)))))))))))))))))))))))))) Bless your heart. And Tucker's too. He was lucky to have you.
Old 11-20-10, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It sounds to me like regardless of what happened, you made his life a good one for the short time he was here. Many animals live 10 or 15 years never having anywhere close to the amount of attention and love your dog got in the 2 years he was here (I think you said he was 2). Regardless of everything, you made his life worth living and THAT is the most important thing.
Old 11-05-17, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tucker was irreplaceable...but Charlie stepped in a month later, and was the best/nicest pup a guy could ask for. He turns 7 today. 😢

Old 11-05-17, 02:10 PM
Admin

Received 342 Likes on 219 Posts

For me the main concern is the quality of life for the animal. In my experience huge dollar amounts do not often but quality of life for the animal. I cringe at times when I see owners sinking thousands into a dying animal just to keep them alive for the owner's sake.

Just from my own experience, my last cat had a cancerous growth on her throat. We had it operated on and I don't even remember the amount. She lived another 4 months and the growth came back. Since she barely survived the 1st surgery, we decided to let her go at that point. Again, I don't even remember the dollar amounts. It's all about the quality of life of the animal.
Old 11-05-17, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I spent 2K in 2002 on emergency surgery for my cat, who had kidney stones completely preventing him from urinating.

He was a 6 year old cat in otherwise perfect health, and the vet pretty much guaranteed the surgery would be a success with no further issues.

That was indeed the case, and he had a happy life for another 12 years.

In that case, it was a pretty easy decision on my part, and it was money well spent---but yeah, if the animal is older, or it's a more serious issue, it can certainly be a difficult call.
Old 11-05-17, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I give my pup all the best. He hasn't had any real medical issues his whole life (he's 12). He has a skin rash problem (yeast infection related). So I have him bathed twice a week, and give him a light antibiotic daily. It's around $5/day. Plus a few dollars a day for food. He's worth it. Sometimes I worry the same skin rash is happening inside him, and might kill him. Vet didn't really have an answer to my logic when I brought that up.

I think I've prepared myself for if I have to let him go. Probably gonna go straight to the shelter and adopt another. But not before I cry a lot.

Old 11-05-17, 02:51 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 353 Likes on 243 Posts

Anyone ever have or research pet medical insurance?
Old 11-05-17, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I can't imagine its worth it. Probably like vision insurance - where it's more like a savings account. I can also imagine it being like a substandard insurance offering like Aflac (or USPS) - where they're probably going to turn you down when you actually go to use it.
Old 11-05-17, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

seeing as how pet medical procedures are as advanced as human ones these days, I have looked into insurance (I would spend $1000, but I would not spend $2000 on a medical procedure for my dog)

https://www.libertymutual.com/pet-insurance

I have also looked into plans offered by local vets and have decided to go that route. I pay the local vet the $30 a month and it includes preventative care, shots, and discount on major procedures.

I know way too many people that have spent $3000 + on one surgery
Old 11-05-17, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
seeing as how pet medical procedures are as advanced as human ones these days, I have looked into insurance (I would spend $1000, but I would not spend $2000 on a medical procedure for my dog)

https://www.libertymutual.com/pet-insurance

I have also looked into plans offered by local vets and have decided to go that route. I pay the local vet the $30 a month and it includes preventative care, shots, and discount on major procedures.

I know way too many people that have spent $3000 + on one surgery
Thanks for this, 4KRG. I need to check it out.