Reload this Page >

What are the best skateboards nowadays?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-18-10, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son is 14 and has a friend that got him into skateboarding. I wanna get him a great board for xmas but I haven't been or kept up with boarding since I had my Sims Stabb (Still got it).

I want something stong enough because he's gonna beat it up learning, but good enough to make pulling of tricks easier so he doesn't get discouraged.
Old 11-18-10, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: What are the best skateboards nowadays?

paging Minor Threat to thread 582235 please...
Old 11-18-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Does he want a long board?
Old 11-18-10, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nah just a regular board so he can ride in the street do ollies and grinds that sort of stuff
Old 11-18-10, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Element, Habitat, Or girl. That's what my friends use and back. Check out CCS.com too, really reliable and fast.
Old 11-18-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by emanon View Post
paging Minor Threat to thread 582235 please...

First off - what kind of skateboarding is he interested in? There's long boarding, vert and street. Most kids get started in street and there's a million different sizes and shapes of decks. Decks are really a personal choice. I like old school deck shapes/sizes for vert or pools and I ride a 8.5 X 30 new school shape for the parks to hit boxes and rails, but I also have a 7.25 X 30 new school for skating inthe city (easier to pop into no skate areas and bail if need be). Bigger just feels better for me since I started way back in the day.

I don't think as a skater I would want anyone to buy me a deck unless I specified exactly which one and got that exact one. Like I said, it's really personal from the graphics to the feel of the wood to the concave and the pop of the wood.

Getting past the deck itself, you'll start getting into the meat and cost of the ride. Don't buy shitty bearings - period. Buy swiss ceramics or other quality bearings at an abec rating of at least an 8 or you'll be compromising the most important part of the sport - controlling speed. Most trucks are along the same quality line anymore, but I only skate Independents - personal choice. Spitfire wheels have a nice feel to them, I like my wheels a little harder than most, so you're going to have to play around with sizes and hardness to dial things in. Grip tape is all over the place as well - I like MOB grip - super sticky and it lasts.

Try not to buy a pre-built set up and let you and your kid build it together - he'll have a better understaing about the complete and how it all works. Not to mention he'll know how to take care of a fix in the field if a component fails. I've broken many trucks, boards, bushings and scabbed a few wheels in my time and you gotta know how things work to get back going.

*which Staab you got - pirate/mad scientist? Lemme know and post a pic. I've got over 100 old school boards (mostly Powell and Peralta, Blind, Santa Cruz and Schmitt Stix amongst others) and a shit ton of new school art sets.
Old 11-18-10, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Moopher View Post
Element, Habitat, Or girl. That's what my friends use and back. Check out CCS.com too, really reliable and fast.
You can do this, but I frequent local shops run by skaters for skaters. You can feel and see the equipment in person and talk to people "in the know" so you know exactly what you're getting - you're also going to find out about good spots for locals only there.

Just sayin'.....
Old 11-18-10, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We got those damn hoverboards yet?
Old 11-19-10, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Minor Threat View Post

First off - what kind of skateboarding is he interested in? There's long boarding, vert and street. Most kids get started in street and there's a million different sizes and shapes of decks. Decks are really a personal choice. I like old school deck shapes/sizes for vert or pools and I ride a 8.5 X 30 new school shape for the parks to hit boxes and rails, but I also have a 7.25 X 30 new school for skating inthe city (easier to pop into no skate areas and bail if need be). Bigger just feels better for me since I started way back in the day.

I don't think as a skater I would want anyone to buy me a deck unless I specified exactly which one and got that exact one. Like I said, it's really personal from the graphics to the feel of the wood to the concave and the pop of the wood.

Getting past the deck itself, you'll start getting into the meat and cost of the ride. Don't buy shitty bearings - period. Buy swiss ceramics or other quality bearings at an abec rating of at least an 8 or you'll be compromising the most important part of the sport - controlling speed. Most trucks are along the same quality line anymore, but I only skate Independents - personal choice. Spitfire wheels have a nice feel to them, I like my wheels a little harder than most, so you're going to have to play around with sizes and hardness to dial things in. Grip tape is all over the place as well - I like MOB grip - super sticky and it lasts.

Try not to buy a pre-built set up and let you and your kid build it together - he'll have a better understaing about the complete and how it all works. Not to mention he'll know how to take care of a fix in the field if a component fails. I've broken many trucks, boards, bushings and scabbed a few wheels in my time and you gotta know how things work to get back going.

*which Staab you got - pirate/mad scientist? Lemme know and post a pic. I've got over 100 old school boards (mostly Powell and Peralta, Blind, Santa Cruz and Schmitt Stix amongst others) and a shit ton of new school art sets.
Thanks Minor I have the Pirate. I have it in storage but I'll try to get pics for you.

My son tends to pick things up and dropn thwm so I kinda wanna get him a complete deck. What is the best complete skateboard?
Old 11-19-10, 02:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The quality of the major skateboard deck manufacturers is pretty much all the same. Go to your local skate shop (not a mall store but one run by skaters that has been around for a while) and have them help you and your son out. Have him stand on the decks before he chooses one. He might not know what really feels good to him if he doesn't know how to skate, but it will help him fall in love sooner with his first board.

I'd say wheels are the most important factor. If he's mostly going to be riding at a concrete skatepark, he'll likely need a harder wheel. If he's rolling around on asphalt and crappy sidewalks, softer is a better choice.
Old 11-19-10, 02:51 AM

You can do this, but I frequent local shops run by skaters for skaters. You can feel and see the equipment in person and talk to people "in the know" so you know exactly what you're getting - you're also going to find out about good spots for locals only there.

Just sayin'.....
It all depends on personal preference I suppose for sure. I can't say from experience but I'm just going off of my friends that have skated for about 15 years. Some go to the local shops, but they're easily an hour and a half from here. Some others have gotten their Flavor and stick with it, hence ordering from CCS. But you're right for sure, someone who's so new to the sport/hobby ought to get in the shop and get a real feel for it. There's also the regionAl thing too, here in MN, there just isn't an abundance of skate shops (even spots for that matter), snowboard shops definitely outweigh them. Usually my buddies get nostalgic about skate spots in AZ because it blows everything in MN away.

Anyway Larry, you can probably ignore what I've said. I've got a ton of friends who skate, but when you've got Minor Threat here, he's got his shit down cause he's actually a skater whereas I'm just a bystander/admirer of the sport.
Old 11-19-10, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Larry C. View Post
Nah just a regular board so he can ride in the street do ollies and grinds that sort of stuff
Don't forget the Sex Wax.
Old 11-19-10, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey Minor how about this one?

Old 11-20-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If that's what your boy wants - do it.
Old 11-20-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I see from the image you're shopping through ccs. Board dims look good, my last trick deck was a zero team deck - I liked it quite a bit, good pop and a nice concave. From the description "7.63 x 31.25 Built with Threat Trucks, , Zero Abec 3 Bearings, Zero Hardware, Zero Griptape." You might look into purchasing some other bearings.
Old 11-21-10, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He also like this deck. Which deck to do all like better?
Old 11-21-10, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Obviously the panda because it can poo rainbows.
Old 11-21-10, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok this is what I've put together bso far.

Independent Stage 10 Standard Trucks

Spitfire 50/50 Eternal Mash-Up Wheels

FKD Sawblade Speed Bearings

The deck is an 8 and trucks are 8.25 and the wheels are 52.
Is this a good board?
Old 11-22-10, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Paging minor!
Old 11-22-10, 11:58 AM

I don't recommend getting trucks that are wider than the deck.
Old 11-22-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
I don't recommend getting trucks that are wider than the deck.
So go with the 7.75 or 8.0 trucks?

Last edited by Larry C.; 11-22-10 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-22-10, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Larry C. View Post
So go with the 7.75 or 8.0 trucks?
this - or go to a local shop and piece it together so you can actually see the components and how they fit together - there's no substitute. What risers/grip/mounting hardware and bushings are you planing on?
Old 11-22-10, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

this - or go to a local shop and piece it together so you can actually see the components and how they fit together - there's no substitute. What risers/grip/mounting hardware and bushings are you planing on?
Thx Minor this is what I have set up via CCS

Enjoi Rainbow Fart Deck - 8.00
Independent Stage 10 Standard Trucks - 8.00
Spitfire 50/50 Eternal Mash-Up Wheels - 52.0
Bearings FKD Sawblade Speed Bearings abec 5
Griptape Spitfire Ripped Grip Tape
Hardware Pig Checks Hardware - 1
Riser Pads Lucky Risers 1/8
Old 11-22-10, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Paging Rainbow Fart Deck!
Old 11-23-10, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

have you heard of a snakeboard? Where can i get some cheap swiss ceramics abec 8 bearings from?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.