Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Would you give your S.O. your Facebook password so they could keep tabs on you?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-17-10, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news...acebook.Edict/

Rev. to NJ church leaders: Thou shalt not Facebook

NEPTUNE, N.J. Thou shalt not commit adultery. And thou also shalt not use Facebook.

That's the edict from a New Jersey pastor who feels the two often go together.

The Rev. Cedric Miller said 20 couples among the 1,100 members of his Living Word Christian Fellowship Church have run into marital trouble over the last six months after a spouse connected with an ex-flame over Facebook.

Because of the problems, he is ordering about 50 married church officials to delete their accounts with the social networking site or resign from their leadership positions. He had previously asked married congregants to share their login information with their spouses and now plans to suggest that they give up Facebook altogether.

"I've been in extended counseling with couples with marital problems because of Facebook for the last year and a half," he said. "What happens is someone from yesterday surfaces, it leads to conversations and there have been physical meet-ups. The temptation is just too great."

Miller is married and has a Facebook account that he uses to keep in touch with six children, but he will heed his own advice and cancel his account this weekend.

On Sunday, he plans to "strongly suggest" that all married people to stop using Facebook, lest they endanger their marriage.

"The advice will go to the entire church," he said. "They'll hear what I'm asking of my church leadership. I won't mandate it for the entire congregation, but I hope people will follow my advice."

Miller said he has spoken from the pulpit before about the dangers of Facebook, asking married couples to give each other their passwords to the site.

"Some did. Others got scared and deleted their accounts right away. And some felt it was none of my business and continued on," he said.

Miller said he has gotten a mostly positive response so far among the leaders subject to his edict, which was first reported by the Asbury Park Press.

Pat Dawson, a minister at the church, uses her Facebook account to see photos of her relatives. She is unmarried and therefore not required to delete her account, but she agrees with Miller about the dangers such sites can create.

"I know he feels very strongly about this," she said. "It can be a useful tool, but it also can cause great problems in a relationship. If your spouse won't give you his or her password, you've got a problem."

The American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers says 81 percent of its members have used or been faced with evidence plucked from Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and other social networking sites in divorce cases over the last five years.

About one in five adults uses Facebook for flirting, according to a 2008 report by the Pew Internet and American Life Project. And a do-it-yourself divorce site in the United Kingdom, Divorce-Online, reported late last year that the word "Facebook" was appearing in about one in five of the petitions it was handling.

Miller says there are legitimate uses for Facebook, which is why he started an account a few years ago.

"People use it as an opportunity to invite others to social gatherings, to share Scripture or talk about what went on at church," he said. "Those are all positive, worthwhile things. But the downside is just too great."

Facebook did not immediately respond to a before-hours interview request left at its California offices.

I don't think I have a problem, no way I'm giving my Facebook password to anybody.
Old 11-17-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Would you give your S.O. your Facebook password so they could keep tabs on you?

I have Facebook configured (at home) so that I don't need to put in my password, so my wife could fire up the browser and look at my account any time she wants. In fact, she plays those stupid Farm Zoo Cafe World games and sometimes logs into my account so she can send herself a panda for her zoo or farm or restaurant, so I guess she could look at my messages while she was in there. I've got nothing to hide, though.

As for the temptation being "too great," from my point of view, if Jennifer Anniston and Megan Fox showed up naked on your doorstep begging for a three-way, if you're not willing to turn them down, you've got no business being married.
Old 11-17-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Would you give your S.O. your Facebook password so they could keep tabs on you?

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
As for the temptation being "too great," from my point of view, if Jennifer Anniston and Megan Fox showed up naked on your doorstep begging for a three-way, if you're not willing to turn them down, you've got no business being married.
I'm ready to be married!
Old 11-17-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
I'm ready to be married!
Old 11-17-10, 03:49 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's see what else could lead to infidelity. Telephones. Cars. Hotels. Personal interaction with other people. Maybe they should give all those up as well.
Old 11-17-10, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
Let's see what else could lead to infidelity. Telephones. Cars. Hotels. Personal interaction with other people. Maybe they should give all those up as well.
Such misdirection and slide of hand going on here

The single largest temptation in the world is posting with Bandoman on dvdtalk, that should be banned!
Old 11-17-10, 03:56 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

I am a sexual magnet.
Old 11-17-10, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Umm... why not just ask members to delete their exes?
Old 11-17-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
I'm ready to be married!
OK, that was funny.
Old 11-17-10, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
Umm... why not just ask members to delete their exes?
So you're saying commit murder so you don't commit adultry?
Old 11-17-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am a sexual magnet.
Fucking magnets...how do they work?
Old 11-17-10, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

That's right. Get rid of Facebook. That'll keep your spouse from cheating, see.
Old 11-17-10, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have Facebook configured (at home) so that I don't need to put in my password, so my wife could fire up the browser and look at my account any time she wants. I've got nothing to hide, though.
Same for me. I genuinely don't mind if she logs into any of my accounts.
Old 11-17-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
Same for me. I genuinely don't mind if she logs into any of my accounts.
Same. I use last pass, so once logged in, she has access to everything: Facebook, Email, finances, it all. I wouldn't be marrying her (in less than two weeks dear god) if we did not have a level of trust.
Old 11-17-10, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Pfffft. Whatever. Most Wives give husbands freebies when it comes to celebs.
Old 11-17-10, 05:28 PM

Tim machines are even worse! Luckily, Bandoman saved my marriage by boning Mary Todd Lincoln in my place.

That said, I almost had a Facebook affair with a gal named Willow until she called me a "gay faggot hater" and deleted her account.
Old 11-17-10, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes
Old 11-17-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
Same. I use last pass, so once logged in, she has access to everything: Facebook, Email, finances, it all. I wouldn't be marrying her (in less than two weeks dear god) if we did not have a level of trust.
I don't think it's the "We're so much in love that we're about to get married" people that are as susceptible to such temptations. Let us know if she still has such access a few years and fifty pounds from now.
Old 11-17-10, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
I wouldn't be marrying her (in less than two weeks dear god)
Congratulations!
Old 11-17-10, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Tim machines are even worse!
Old 11-17-10, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am a sexual magnet.
*Jeremy Irons voice* You have NO idea.
Old 11-17-10, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tim machines are even worse!
Old 11-17-10, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where's chrissc77 and his newbie_nudes wisdom when we need him?
Old 11-17-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My wife has all my passwords, for a few reasons:

1) I trust her
2) If something should happen to me, I want her to have access to whatever she might need
3) If she kills me for the insurance money, I want her to be able to be able to deceive the world into thinking I'm alive long enough to properly dispose of the body
4) If anyone knows if I have posted in the past about the combination to a safe or wiring instructions for a certain offshore account, please contact me, Thor Simpson, at [email protected]
Old 11-17-10, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tim machines are even worse! Luckily, Bandoman saved my marriage by boning Mary Todd Lincoln in my place.

That said, I almost had a Facebook affair with a gal named Willow until she called me a "gay faggot hater" and deleted her account.
Yeah, fuck Tim and his machines, they are nothing but trouble.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.