Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone not like Christmas movies and TV?? How about Christmas in general?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-16-10, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to post this in the Holiday Challenge thread, but I thought it might be construed as a threadcrap.

Does anyone else find the false sentimentality of Christmas movies and TV episodes irritating? Why does it always snow at the end like God heard their prayer and answered so they would get a "white Christmas"? Why is everyone that is an asshole during most of the year suddenly turned by the "christmas spirit".

As for Christmas itself:
I think the fact people get together as a family is good. But Christmas is too weighed down with the buying of gifts. The rush to decorate and prepare for one day is a bit overwhelming. I've seen people prepare like maniacs for weeks just so they can have decorations, gifts and food for that "special" day. Christmas is not really (nor was it created) to be the celebration of Jesus' birth. It is just another reason for the retailers to make a profit.

I do like Thanksgiving all right. It really is a holiday for the family, but even that is tainted a bit by Black Friday -- but I wouldn't want that to go away. Because as much as I dislike the "requirement" to buy gifts, I do like getting cheap stuff. It's not that I don't want to give to others, it's just that being told I must because of some holiday (which has nothing to do with Christianity) is a burden I want nothing to do with. I do buy gifts for other people when I want to and not when I'm told to. Many is the time I bought gifts for people I did not even want to because I thought I "had" to for Christmas.

Before you naysayers cry "Bah Humbug", I don't believe everything about Christmas is bad. Sometimes people do show kindness and sometimes people do feel appreciated because someone remembered them for the holidays. But there is a reason that so many people commit suicide around the holidays.

Makes you wonder exactly what is the "Christmas spirit"
Old 11-16-10, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Does anyone not like Chrismas movies and TV?? How about Christmas in general?

I'm a Jew and I love Christmas movies!
Old 11-16-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Does anyone not like Chrismas movies and TV?? How about Christmas in general?

If I have to sit through another 24 hour marathon of A Christmas Story I will really shoot my eye out with a bb gun. If it's a red rider then bonus.
Old 11-16-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love Christmas and Thanksgiving, however I HATE the 6 weeks or so before Christmas; I won't even think of going to a shopping center after Thanksgiving.

Thank goodness for Amazon.
Old 11-16-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

First off I have to consider what kind of message does Christmas (in and of itself) supposed to send? Is it positive or negative? For us, it is positive. Even though we don't go crazy for Christmas and all-out celebrate it like most folks do, Treesa and I enjoy the smaller 'Peanuts Christmas' that cuddly time of year brings.

-THEEK KRINGLE!

Last edited by The Edit King; 11-16-10 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-16-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't mind Thanksgiving.

I loathe christmas. I never decorate...ever.

The faster its over the better. I work my first christmas in 11 years this year and I can't wait to get the double time and a half
Old 11-16-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk God

I enjoy it.

I'd rather watch any Christmas show that deal with Christmas visitors, though.
Old 11-16-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm an atheist so the religious stuff annoys me, as do the bell ringers, carolers, and decorations. Basically the only part I like is the music, but only during the last few weeks before the 25th, the excuse to spend time with my grandparents, and the food.
Old 11-16-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The thing I hate about Christmas is that apparently the season starts immediately after Halloween these days. I would like to at least transition to Christmas via Thanksgiving like we used to. Nope, down go the ghosts, up go the trees. I even saw a neighbor with lights up already last weekend.

Christmas music & movies are ok but for God's sake somebody - make some new ones! Especially music. It seems like new Christmas music is just re-recording the same old songs over & over & over. What are there, like 15 Christmas songs?
Old 11-16-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not religious but I love everything about Christmas. The music, the movies/tv shows, the decorations, the gift buying/receiving, the big Christmas dinner (though we do ours on Christmas Eve), waking up Christmas morning with full stockings and presents under the tree. Love every bit of it.
Old 11-16-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
I'm not religious but I love everything about Christmas. The music, the movies/tv shows, the decorations, the gift buying/receiving, the big Christmas dinner (though we do ours on Christmas Eve), waking up Christmas morning with full stockings and presents under the tree. Love every bit of it.
Christmas Eve is the time for the big dinner. Christmas day is the time to chill.
Old 11-16-10, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Christmas Eve is the time for the big dinner. Christmas day is the time to chill.
That's definitely the theory in our house. Everybody wants to play with their new toys on Christmas.
Old 11-16-10, 04:16 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I love everything about Christmas and the last 7 weeks of the year.
Old 11-16-10, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love Christmas.
Old 11-16-10, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like the part where people buy me things and give me food.
Old 11-16-10, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not religious. I was raised Jewish although my mother's side of the family is completely Catholic. Christmas was always a sort of festive non-entity growing up, especially in South FL, which means no seasons at all, no snow, rarely have cold weather, etc. So for my early childhood, it really didn't mean anything.

When I was about 8 or 9, we went to stay with my cousins in Connecticut during Christmas. It was the first time I ever saw snow, so I was mindblown. They of course went all-out every year: Christmas tree, stockings, fireplace, presents, cookies, ice skating, snowball fights, caroling, Midnight Mass, and of course Christmas dinner. They lived in, what was to my eyes, a Norman Rockwell-esque small town full of friendly people and good cheer.

I'm still non-religious in any denomination but I still think back on all those great, warm memories and think that, even if the trappings for the holiday were totally ripped off from the pagans, and that in the grand scheme of all things secular the Christmas season means 80% of annual retail revenue, it still puts people in a warm and festive mood where maybe, just maybe, they'll treat other people like scum maybe just a little less for a few days or weeks.

It's a small bonus at best, but in this day and age I'll take it.

Plus I still love watching "White Christmas" and "It's A Wonderful Life".
Old 11-16-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
I'm still non-religious in any denomination but I still think back on all those great, warm memories and think that, even if the trappings for the holiday were totally ripped off from the pagans, and that in the grand scheme of all things secular the Christmas season means 80% of annual retail revenue, it still puts people in a warm and festive mood where maybe, just maybe, they'll treat other people like scum maybe just a little less for a few days or weeks.
I shed a tear at this, sir. (Okay, not really, but I'm in 100% agreement)
Old 11-16-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jimmywong View Post
I was going to post this in the Holiday Challenge thread, but I thought it might be construed as a threadcrap.

Does anyone else find the false sentimentality of Christmas movies and TV episodes irritating? Why does it always snow at the end like God heard their prayer and answered so they would get a "white Christmas"? Why is everyone that is an asshole during most of the year suddenly turned by the "christmas spirit".

As for Christmas itself:
I think the fact people get together as a family is good. But Christmas is too weighed down with the buying of gifts. The rush to decorate and prepare for one day is a bit overwhelming. I've seen people prepare like maniacs for weeks just so they can have decorations, gifts and food for that "special" day. Christmas is not really (nor was it created) to be the celebration of Jesus' birth. It is just another reason for the retailers to make a profit.

I do like Thanksgiving all right. It really is a holiday for the family, but even that is tainted a bit by Black Friday -- but I wouldn't want that to go away. Because as much as I dislike the "requirement" to buy gifts, I do like getting cheap stuff. It's not that I don't want to give to others, it's just that being told I must because of some holiday (which has nothing to do with Christianity) is a burden I want nothing to do with. I do buy gifts for other people when I want to and not when I'm told to. Many is the time I bought gifts for people I did not even want to because I thought I "had" to for Christmas.

Before you naysayers cry "Bah Humbug", I don't believe everything about Christmas is bad. Sometimes people do show kindness and sometimes people do feel appreciated because someone remembered them for the holidays. But there is a reason that so many people commit suicide around the holidays.

Makes you wonder exactly what is the "Christmas spirit"

There is someone here that doesn't celebrate christmas, made a thread about it..told their kids that Santa was fake etc etc etc..I forgot where that thread was..was pretty amusing.
Old 11-16-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
There is someone here that doesn't celebrate christmas, made a thread about it..told their kids that Santa was fake etc etc etc..I forgot where that thread was..was pretty amusing.
That thread was very refreshing.
Old 11-16-10, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by glassdragon View Post
If I have to sit through another 24 hour marathon of A Christmas Story I will really shoot my eye out with a bb gun.
You had to in the past?
Old 11-16-10, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now would be a good time for somebody to post that photo of Donald Sutherland from the last few seconds of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" with a caption underneath reading "GRINCH!"

I love Christmas, love the music, love both the secular and religious elements of the season. I could do without it starting right after Halloween as others have pointed out, but all in all, the last three months of each year is my favorite time. I just like to take one holiday at a time--Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas--and lately it seems like they're all glommed together in a big, sugar-laden, stuff-mouthed blowout.

The only thing I would change about Christmas is the relentless commercialization of it, but man is an acquisitive beast, so I don't look for that to go away anytime soon.

Oh, and my favorite Christmas movies:

"Since You Went Away" (1944) (not really a Christmas movie, but ends on Christmas Eve so it counts)
"Going My Way" (1943) same as above
"The Homecoming: A Christmas Story" (1971) pilot for The Waltons TV Series
"Mr. Krueger's Christmas" (1970s) (BYU film with Jimmy Stewart in the title role)
"Beyond Tomorrow" (1940s) obscure but worth the find!
and of course
"It's a Wonderful Life" (1946) which I never even saw until 2004.

P.S. I do NOT like "A Christmas Story," however. Saw it in the theater, thought it stunk then and it stinks now.
Old 11-16-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I love the South Park Christmas episodes. Other than that, it's just another day off work for me.
Old 11-16-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Movies and TV shows are fine, but it is the fucking Christmas music that I can't stand.
Old 11-16-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Christmas is a yearly reaffirmation of my misanthropy.

OK, not really, but it is a shame how much stress the modern Christmas causes for so many people.
Old 11-16-10, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've worked in retail for the past 12 years.. I can't stand the greed of people during this time of year, so no, I do not like Xmas. I'm all about getting good deals, but when people start to belittle the employee cause something is out of stock, or the line is too long it's pretty sad.

I also don't care for xmas music or movies for the most part.

however.. the best thing about the holidays.. the FOOD!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.