Reload this Page >

Top Hollywood publicist shot to death in Beverly Hills

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-16-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn 5 times in the chest while driving.

Sounds like a murder for hire. Wonder if she pissed someone off in the CO$.

Ronni Chasen, a well-known Hollywood publicist, was shot five times before she crashed her Mercedes-Benz in Beverly Hills early Tuesday, leading to her death, RadarOnline.com has exclusively learned.

Chasen, 64, was shot while driving until she crashed into a light-pole around 12:30 a.m.

RadarOnline.com was first to break the news of the victim's identity. After our initial story, authorities later confirmed the news to other media outlets.

Watch video from the crime scene in Beverly Hills

In addition, an employee of Chasen's public relations/marketing firm - Chasen and Co. - told RadarOnline.com that police told him Tuesday that the victim was Ronni.

Police initially called to the scene said the victim - only described as a woman in her 60s - was "in and out of consciousness but breathing,'' but a second look from firefighters called to the location determined she'd been shot multiple times. She was subsequently taken via ambulance to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead.

Chasen had worked as a publicist since 1973, according to iMDb, with high-profile films on her resume such as including 1989's Driving Miss Daisy and 1994's Lolita. Other movies she'd promoted included The Swan Princess, Rich In Love and Stay Tuned. Other films she did work for, according to PRNewswire, included Cocoon and Cocoon II, The Verdict, On Golden Pond, Baby Boom, Rocky III and Rocky IV, Music Box and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

In February 1993, she had been named senior vice president of worldwide publicity at MGM.

"I was both delighted and surprised when MGM approached me about this position," Chasen told PRNewswire following the appointment in 1993. "I've given this very careful thought, and, although I will miss working with my personal clients on a day-to-day basis, I look forward to this new opportunity with great enthusiasm ... this will be a very exciting period for the company, and I am delighted to join the MGM team."

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...hills-shooting
Old 11-16-10, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Top Hollywood publicist shot to death in Beverly Hills

YIKES & OUCH!

I've had dreams of being shot but never have been. (...yet.)

That, is one of my biggest most serious fears in life...

Some brain dead PUNK IDIOT just blowin' off rounds, or even worse...actually AIMING at 'me', and I get hit.

(HEY! Tree works in BH and we live Beverly Hills Adjacent!!! )

But Seriously Folks...

Peace and comfort to her family.

-Paul 3rd

Last edited by The Edit King; 11-16-10 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-16-10, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I feel sorry for her and her family...

Being shot 5 times is a violent way to go...and not something that seems "random". Thats focused anger.
Old 11-16-10, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A neighbor who lives near where Ronni Chasen crashed after being fatally shot in Beverly Hills said she heard gunshots and ran outside to find the veteran Hollywood publicist bleeding profusely, with her car window shattered.

The quiet neighborhood, once home to Julie Andrews, is one of stately multimillion-dollar homes and gated estates on tree-lined streets that wind between Sunset and Wilshire boulevards. Whittier is often used as a cut-through route, and neighbors say automobile accidents are fairly common.

But this situation was different.

Nahid Shekarchian, a 33-year resident of the neighborhood who lives just south of the house where Chasen's car crashed, said sometime after midnight she heard gunshots --"boom-boom-boom" -- and opened the curtain of her upstairs bedroom. She told her daughter-in-law to call 911 and went outside to see what had happened.

Shekarchian said the woman in the car was bleeding profusely from her nose and had blood on her chest. The window on the passenger side of the front seat had been shattered. Another neighbor walked to the car window and asked: "Can I help you?" Shekarchian said the driver "was breathing very heavily" and did not respond.

Shekarchian said the police told her that whoever shot Chasen might have been walking rather than in another vehicle. But Shekarchian said she saw no one in the vicinity.

"Oh, my God. Oh, my God," she said after learning that Chasen had died.

Chasen had just attended the premiere of "Burlesque" at Grauman's Chinese Theatre as well as a party after the screening, sources told The Times. Authorities said she was shot multiple times in the chest in her Mercedes-Benz E-350 and crashed into a light pole at Whittier Drive, near Sunset Boulevard, at 12:30 a.m. Tuesday. No suspects have been arrested.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ody-scene.html
Old 11-16-10, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk God

ouch, its going to be tough to put a positive spin on that
Old 11-16-10, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by twikoff View Post
ouch, its going to be tough to put a positive spin on that
"It's a surefire hit!"
Old 11-16-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For the inevitable guilty/not guilty proclamations:

Old 11-16-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
That looks like Steven Tyler.
Ah, now the shooting makes sense.
Old 11-17-10, 04:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
"It's a surefire hit!"
Old 11-17-10, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe Randy Quaid was right?
Old 11-17-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I met her when I interviewed her client Hans Zimmer. Totally shocked, can't imagine what could have transpired that led to five shots to the chest. That sounds like Sopranos shit.
Old 11-17-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Somebody wasn't happy with their publicity.
Old 11-17-10, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
Somebody wasn't happy with their publicity.
Old 11-17-10, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Top Hollywood publicist shot to death
That sound you hear is everyone in LA applauding.
Old 11-17-10, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Obviously she was going to expose the Government/Hollywood propaganda machine and Obama knocked her off.

(It took 16 posts to blame Obama? For shame!)
Old 11-17-10, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How sad that the last film she saw starred Cher and Christina Aguilera.
Old 11-17-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
How sad that the last film she saw starred Cher and Christina Aguilera.
This reminds me of a real sad moment, the night my friend's dad died of cancer.

He was stuck in bed, weak, lifeless, barely able to move, raise his arms, nothing.

And motherfucking Roseanne was on the TV.

Can you even imagine?
Old 11-18-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

UPDATE:

Police investigating the killing of Ronni Chasen have assembled a working theory of what happened to the veteran Hollywood publicist and believe the Beverly Hills attack was planned in advance and not the result of road rage or a carjacking gone awry, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
According to a Beverly Hills city official who was briefed by Police Chief David Snowden, the department's working theory centers on shots being fired out of another vehicle that pulled up next to the passenger side of Chasen's Mercedes-Benz around 12:30 a.m. Tuesday. It is believed the shooting occurred either as Chasen made a left turn from Sunset Boulevard onto Whittier Drive, or just after the turn was made. Her black E350 coupe traveled southward on Whittier until it crashed into a light pole at Greenway Drive, deploying the driver side airbag. It is believed the shots shattered the passenger side window.
Despite suspicion that the late-night shooting was planned, it remains unclear whether Chasen was personally targeted in the incident or why she might have been the target.
Beverly Hills Police Sgt. Lincoln Hoshino said the investigation is "wide open" and the police department hasn't "focused on any specific motive or technique."
"We know it's not some sort of sniper shooting from across the street -- ridiculous theories we can discount," he said. "We haven't ruled anything out within reason."
THR's city official source said police have obtained relevant footage from one or perhaps multiple security cameras located at a residence on Whittier, just down the street from the intersection of Whittier and Greenway. Sources tell THR that the property is the home of Sherry Hackett, widow of the late comedian and actor Buddy Hackett. A woman who answered the door at the Whittier residence Thursday identified herself as an assistant to Hackett and said she knew nothing of the incident but that Hackett slept through it. Hackett was not at the house Thursday.

Hoshino said he couldn't confirm that investigators were reviewing the Hackett footage. "I don't know if our detectives have it already, but it is entirely possible," he said.
The Beverly Hills Police Department is actively seeking additional footage captured by security cameras at other homes in the area. The red-light camera at the intersection of Sunset and Whittier did not capture images of the incident, the source said.
Chasen, 64, was killed after leaving an after-party in Hollywood for the Burlesque premiere Monday. A BHPD spokesperson said earlier this week that officers received information at 12:28 a.m. Tuesday regarding shots heard in the area, which is filled with multimillion-dollar mansions and is home to many Hollywood luminaries. Chasen suffered five gunshot wounds to her chest. Beverly Hills paramedics transported her to a local hospital where she was later pronounced dead. Police have revealed no suspects in the investigation.
Chasen reportedly left a routine voicemail for her staff at her namesake publicity company, Chasen & Co., shortly before the incident. It is believed she was driving home.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...d-camera-47151
Old 11-19-10, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Buddy Hackett's widow?! What is she, like 98?
Old 11-19-10, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think we're going to see a spike in the sales of bulletproof cars in Beverly Hills and Hollywood.
Old 11-19-10, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You have to admire the murder of this virtually unknown woman is making national headlines. I doubt that would happen if she was a key grip.
Old 11-19-10, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Buddy Hackett's widow?! What is she, like 98?
Sherry Hackett died in 2007. So, no.
Old 11-19-10, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
UPDATE:

THR's city official source said police have obtained relevant footage from one or perhaps multiple security cameras located at a residence on Whittier, just down the street from the intersection of Whittier and Greenway. Sources tell THR that the property is the home of Sherry Hackett, widow of the late comedian and actor Buddy Hackett. A woman who answered the door at the Whittier residence Thursday identified herself as an assistant to Hackett and said she knew nothing of the incident but that Hackett slept through it. Hackett was not at the house Thursday.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...d-camera-47151
Originally Posted by crazyronin View Post
Sherry Hackett died in 2007. So, no.
Are they investigating a possible connection between zombie Sherry Hackett and this murder? Or perhaps they should look at this "assistant" who has been keeping Sherry's corpse since 2007!
Old 11-19-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
You have to admire the murder of this virtually unknown woman is making national headlines. I doubt that would happen if she was a key grip.
Well to be fair, she was extremely well known in the movie business. It is a pretty shocking murder considering the circumstances, thus the national headlines.
Old 11-19-10, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
No one in the industry likes publicists, so they're all secretly relishing this story.

Anyway, Buddy Hackett huh? Hollywood huh? And she was shot from another car. I think I have a suspect
Spoiler:

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.