Reload this Page >

Salvation Army Angel Tree

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-16-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any better knowledge of how this works? I want to adopt an Angel or two but have some misgivings.

First, I imagine some siblings on the tree and I pick one but his brothers and sisters ultimately never get chosen. Does Salvation Army really just give the one child something and the others never get anything? That would suck.

Second, do they really do what they say and give THAT PARTICULAR angel what I pick or does everything just go into a warehouse and then divvied out. If that were the case, it kind of defeats the point.
Old 11-16-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Salvation Army Angel Tree

I thought this was going to be a thread about trees MADE of angels. I was going to inquire where to get one as my old tree has seen better days.
Old 11-16-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...tree-rant.html
Old 11-16-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Best thing to do with Angel Tree giveaways is get gifts for TEENS. They always get shorted in these drives because so many people buy toys, dolls, etc. that are really for younger kids. My church women's group is doing a special drive just for the teens, and so is my department at work.
Old 11-16-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ I didn't search, sorry. Your thread doesn't really answer my question though.

One reply did indicate what I'm afraid of though... all the gifts get thrown together regardless of which "angel" you choose. Meh. Might as well just give them cash.
Old 11-16-10, 12:04 PM

First, the gifts that were given for specific children are grouped by family so the parents can come pick up all their children's gifts at once.

Then there are always a number of leftover angel tags that were never selected. They have a warehouse with toys that were either donated by companies or individuals with no specific gift recipient intended. (For example, when I volunteered, certain toy manufacturers appeared to have donated tons of last season's overstock of toys.) The toys in this warehouse are sorted by age, and as mentioned previously, there is most likely a shortage of gifts for teens. The volunteers then take the leftover tags and "go shopping" in the warehouse for each child. The bags of toys are then brought to the other warehouse where they are put in piles with the rest of the siblings' gifts.

To answer your questions, yes, the gifts do go to each specific child, and each child in the family will get toys, even if some of their tags weren't selected.

This is how it was all handled when I volunteered last year. Hope this helps!
Old 11-16-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you, StealthStratos ! That is what I wanted to hear.
Old 11-16-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry Wolf. I really just wanted to resurrect my thread before someone hijacked this one with whines about "I donated to this and now I want to bitch about what the kid asked for." Call it a pre-emptive hijack.
Old 11-16-10, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No problem.
They are kids and and want nice toys, nobody should begrudge that.
Old 11-16-10, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf359 View Post
No problem.
They are kids and and want nice toys, nobody should begrudge that.
I agree but the problem is when I see a tag with a Wii, xbox, etc. request, I know I can't afford to buy that for them, so I don't pick that tag. I pick a tag with a more reasonable request.

And then I wonder if anyone got the Wii-requesting child a gift and I feel bad. I guess what I would like for them to do is, if they are going to put a more expensive request, also put some other things so I can get them something. But then I think if they don't get their xbox and get something else instead, they will be pissed.

Yeah, I definitely overthink this every year.
Old 11-16-10, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nickee View Post
I agree but the problem is when I see a tag with a Wii, xbox, etc. request, I know I can't afford to buy that for them, so I don't pick that tag. I pick a tag with a more reasonable request.

And then I wonder if anyone got the Wii-requesting child a gift and I feel bad. I guess what I would like for them to do is, if they are going to put a more expensive request, also put some other things so I can get them something. But then I think if they don't get their xbox and get something else instead, they will be pissed.

Yeah, I definitely overthink this every year.
Most toy drives specifically request that the kids not ask for stuff like that. But kids are kids. And the parents sometimes don't supervise the kid while he's writing down what he wants.

I think a child who requests a Wii (or whatever) will get presents, just not that item. These drives usually have volunteers who will determine what to choose for children of different ages.
Old 11-16-10, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

One of the tags I had last year just had, among other things, "video games" written down. No offense, as I was up for finding something reasonable but I need more to go on than that. DS? PSP? Wii? Xbox? PS3?
Old 11-16-10, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone with teenaged kids here have some serious suggestions for what to donate for something like this?
Old 11-16-10, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Teens don't need anything.
Old 11-16-10, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My boyfriend is a Special Olympics coach and last year they had an outreach program that involved foster teens working with the SO athletes. Last year for Christmas the local SO chapter decided to buy gift cards for the foster teens. The foster teens choose which kind of gift card they got. It worked out well. I have never participated in Angel Tree thing and I'm thinking about doing it this year.