Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Hey Look, It's Another Thread About Collection Agencies!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Hey Look, It's Another Thread About Collection Agencies!

Old 11-15-10, 04:04 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 29,451
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Look, It's Another Thread About Collection Agencies!

So I had a laugh the other day. This company calls my father-in-law looking for a Charles Jackson. They identify themselves as Blackstone Financial (or Litigation, I can't remember) and they ask if someone will be home the next day so they can serve Charles with some documentation.

My father-in-law says there is no Charles here, and instead of apologizing and taking his number off their list, they ask if someone else can be there to receive the papers

He again says there is nobody here by that name and we don't know anybody by that name. They tell him they are coming anyway and if he doesn't want to sign the papers, he doesn't have to.

Then they tell him to tell Charles that if he pays what is owed, he won't be arrested, and the Marshalls won't go to his house

Then they ask for the address.

I mean I have heard of some wrong numbers but...whiskey tango foxtrot?
Old 11-15-10, 04:57 PM
  #2  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 9,073
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Hey Look, It's Another Thread About Collection Agencies!

Thanks for the warning. Tell your dad I won't be at his place tomorrow for tea.
Old 11-15-10, 05:04 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 3,546
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hey Look, It's Another Thread About Collection Agencies!

Looks like your father has to move to a different state soon............................
Old 11-15-10, 05:25 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
E. Honda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: A sweaty sauna somewhere in Japan
Posts: 1,720
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hey Look, It's Another Thread About Collection Agencies!

It's a scam.

The FTC Fair Debt Collection laws state:

807. False or misleading representations
A debt collector may not use any false, deceptive, or misleading representation or means in connection with the collection of any debt. Without limiting the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of this section:

The representation or implication that nonpayment of any debt will result in the arrest or imprisonment of any person or the seizure, garnishment, attachment, or sale of any property or wages of any person.


You should report these people to the police immediately.
Old 11-15-10, 08:38 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 29,451
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Hey Look, It's Another Thread About Collection Agencies!

He told me nobody ever showed up. We were there waiting with pizza and soda and everything, too.

Old 11-15-10, 11:51 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,207
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hey Look, It's Another Thread About Collection Agencies!

All of those debt collection agencies employ scumbags. They will say anything to try and get what they want. Definitely report them.
Old 11-16-10, 12:16 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 21,503
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Hey Look, It's Another Thread About Collection Agencies!

Yea. Third party collection companies are lawless and ruthless. They pay a few cents on the dollar for that debt and will say anything they can to get you to pay. There is not much that they actually get in trouble for. They are allowed to have shouting matches with 'clients' if they want.

I have a relative who works at one.
Old 11-16-10, 02:21 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Living Dead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Graveyard
Posts: 3,211
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hey Look, It's Another Thread About Collection Agencies!

Earlier this year my mom started getting calls for unpaid parking tickets from my college days over 10 years ago. She just kept ignoring the calls and eventually they stopped.
Old 11-16-10, 02:51 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Posts: 1,173
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hey Look, It's Another Thread About Collection Agencies!

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
Yea. Third party collection companies are lawless and ruthless. They pay a few cents on the dollar for that debt and will say anything they can to get you to pay. There is not much that they actually get in trouble for. They are allowed to have shouting matches with 'clients' if they want.
Eh? There's lots and lots of things a collection agency can get nailed for, if they are called on it. Shouting at a debtor would violate the FDCPA, as would threatening to have the debtor arrested. Even telling a third party that they are calling to collect on a debt (as described by the OP) is a violation if the collector knows that the third party to whom they are speaking is not the actual debtor.

It's usually not worth it for the debtor to take action against an offending debt collector but I have used such violations as leverage in negotiating favorable settlements and I have seen people win small claims judgments against collectors. It's a good idea to record calls from collectors, if possible, especially if they rattle off that "your call may be recorded for quality and training purposes" mantra since then you don't have to formally advise them that YOU are recording them, as well.
Old 11-16-10, 08:56 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,210
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hey Look, It's Another Thread About Collection Agencies!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-3CxuUTpvK0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-3CxuUTpvK0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 11-16-10, 10:55 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,435
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hey Look, It's Another Thread About Collection Agencies!

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
So I had a laugh the other day. This company calls my father-in-law looking for a Charles Jackson. They identify themselves as Blackstone Financial (or Litigation, I can't remember) and they ask if someone will be home the next day so they can serve Charles with some documentation.

My father-in-law says there is no Charles here, and instead of apologizing and taking his number off their list, they ask if someone else can be there to receive the papers

He again says there is nobody here by that name and we don't know anybody by that name. They tell him they are coming anyway and if he doesn't want to sign the papers, he doesn't have to.

Then they tell him to tell Charles that if he pays what is owed, he won't be arrested, and the Marshalls won't go to his house

Then they ask for the address.

I mean I have heard of some wrong numbers but...whiskey tango foxtrot?
I get collection calls for some guy..but the message always say..if this is not you..disregard lol.
Old 11-16-10, 10:58 AM
  #12  
Admin-MemeCat
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,819
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Hey Look, It's Another Thread About Collection Agencies!

I had a lawyer do this to me once. Some guy was suing a guy with the same first and last name as me, but with a different middle name than me. Well he looked up everyone in the phone book with the same first and last name and same middle initial and started serving all of them until one of them appeared in court. Of course my parents signed the summons like fools and I had to go through some legal wrangling to get out of it. Thanks Mom and Dad.

Why they signed it when it wasn't even my middle name on the summons I still haven't figured out.
Old 11-16-10, 12:39 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Kmical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
Posts: 3,572
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hey Look, It's Another Thread About Collection Agencies!

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I had a lawyer do this to me once. Some guy was suing a guy with the same first and last name as me, but with a different middle name than me. Well he looked up everyone in the phone book with the same first and last name and same middle initial and started serving all of them until one of them appeared in court. Of course my parents signed the summons like fools and I had to go through some legal wrangling to get out of it. Thanks Mom and Dad.

Why they signed it when it wasn't even my middle name on the summons I still haven't figured out.
Maybe they were looking to get rid of you for a while?
Old 11-16-10, 01:22 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 28,098
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Hey Look, It's Another Thread About Collection Agencies!

Wait, did you really give them your address?

I still think it's ridiculous that someone can legally call and harass you because they found something in a phonebook or the internet that the guy their looking for used to live there. Of course, I also think it's ridiculous that my local phone company charges me (every month!) to keep my home number OUT of the their phonebook, but every time I think about saving some money and allowing our number to be listed, I'm reminded how crappy it is to be listed. And I think of Terminator.
Old 11-16-10, 01:43 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Posts: 1,173
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hey Look, It's Another Thread About Collection Agencies!

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I had a lawyer do this to me once. Some guy was suing a guy with the same first and last name as me, but with a different middle name than me. Well he looked up everyone in the phone book with the same first and last name and same middle initial and started serving all of them until one of them appeared in court. Of course my parents signed the summons like fools and I had to go through some legal wrangling to get out of it. Thanks Mom and Dad.

Why they signed it when it wasn't even my middle name on the summons I still haven't figured out.
Coincidentally, I just talked to a guy last week who had something similar happen to him. He had a lien recorded against his home in northern California for a judgment obtained against someone with the same name down in southern California. It's probably going to be a bitch getting it undone.
Old 11-17-10, 07:35 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,874
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Hey Look, It's Another Thread About Collection Agencies!

Originally Posted by E. Honda View Post
It's a scam.

The FTC Fair Debt Collection laws state:

807. False or misleading representations
A debt collector may not use any false, deceptive, or misleading representation or means in connection with the collection of any debt. Without limiting the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of this section:

The representation or implication that nonpayment of any debt will result in the arrest or imprisonment of any person or the seizure, garnishment, attachment, or sale of any property or wages of any person.


You should report these people to the police immediately.
You seem to confuse a civil violation with a criminal one.
Old 11-17-10, 09:28 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 22,757
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Hey Look, It's Another Thread About Collection Agencies!

Go ahead, invite them to your Dad's house.

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/pen...HomeCA&catid=0
Old 11-19-10, 01:42 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 29,451
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Hey Look, It's Another Thread About Collection Agencies!

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Wait, did you really give them your address?
No

I thought it was funny how they said they'd send papers for a guy that doesn't live there and then ask for the address.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.