Reload this Page >

School me on Comcast Xfinity

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-15-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My house currently has DirectTV but we want to switch to Xfinity. There is an upstairs and a downstairs in law apartment. The downstairs needs 2 HD DVR and upstairs needs 1 plus 2 regular HD Boxes and 2 regular non HD(I guess just digital boxes). What am I looking at for the leasing cost of these per month? I called but I couldn't understand the guy.
Old 11-15-10, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: School me on Comcast Xfinity

Comcrap really nails on you on the extra boxes, particularly HDDVRs, IIRC. It's not like DirecTV where it's simply $5/mo for each one after the first.

Last edited by Red Dog; 11-15-10 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-15-10, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought he said $15 per box. That cant be right can it?
Old 11-15-10, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get ready to pay out the ass.
Old 11-15-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You gonna get raped on the boxes/dvr
Old 11-15-10, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife - Xfinity is a RAPIST when it comes to xtra boxes.
Old 11-15-10, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So they want $15 per box on top of the package?
Old 11-15-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Comcast is the absolute worst company in the world. I've had countless issues with them over the years and have been overbilled or hit with unexpected hidden charges many, many times. Avoid at all costs.
Old 11-15-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ya thanks for the advice. I guess we will stick with DirectTv
Old 11-15-10, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ask yourself why they had to re-brand their product when Comcast is so well-known.
Old 11-15-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm stuck with Comcast simply because my apartment building doesn't allow satellite dishes and won't allow any other cable company to connect to the building.
Old 11-15-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll be the voice of dissent here. Yes, they do charge seemingly high amounts for certain things (I think I pay 11.95 for a secondary HD non DVR box in my basement just because the LCD set down there doesn't have a QAM tuner built in on top of the $14 i pay for the HD DVR box I have upstairs).

Having said that though, the service is great, internet has only gone out on my maybe twice for reasons that were not the fault of my home's wiring (which we redid and is now solid again) and the cable TV has never gone out in almost 4 years.

I was able to get a two year deal with them at a pretty good price (including HBO for the 2 years at no extra cost). I have my cable and internet through them as I use vonage for the phone so can't speak about the triple play packages but all in all I'm pretty pleased with them. YMMV as always though.
Old 11-15-10, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, they charge a lot for the boxes.

But they always have deals, and you end up paying less than Directv, and when that deal ends you can call CSR and ask for another deal, and so on.
Old 11-15-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by darkflounder View Post
I'm stuck with Comcast simply because my apartment building doesn't allow satellite dishes
That's illegal.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
Old 11-15-10, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by darkflounder View Post
I'm stuck with Comcast simply because my apartment building doesn't allow satellite dishes and won't allow any other cable company to connect to the building.
I was too until a few weeks ago I saw that AT&T U-Verse was finally in my building. I haven't regretted the switch one bit.
Old 11-15-10, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
illegal to completely disallow them, but most apartments are smart and indicate in the contract that you can't attach a dish to anything other than a mast on a balcony, so it almost completely negates the ability to have one.
Old 11-15-10, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will mostly echo what Cardiff said. The bill Comcast sends makes me want to cry every month, but the service has been very reliable. Their high def signal is generally very good but the standard def signal is usually pretty lousy. Their 800-number support is dreadful and those fuckers will outright lie to you. On those rare occasions that I have a problem now, I just drop by the branch office a few miles from my house.
Old 11-15-10, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
illegal to completely disallow them, but most apartments are smart and indicate in the contract that you can't attach a dish to anything other than a mast on a balcony, so it almost completely negates the ability to have one.
The law overrides any such contracts.
Old 11-15-10, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
The law overrides any such contracts.
From the link you provided...

"Effective January 22, 1999, the Commission amended the rule so that it also applies to rental property where the renter has an exclusive use area, such as a balcony or patio."

If you don't have a patio or balcony, and one that faces the right direction, you are out of luck.
Old 11-15-10, 07:15 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

When Comcast switched to their new digital Xfinity service last month, we had to get the new digital converter boxes, one for our HDTV and one for our desktop computer with a TV tuner card. Two things happened:

1. We could no longer get any of the local HD channels on our HDTV because they wouldn't show up via the converter box, so we lost functionality. Also, the converter box comes with a flimsy little remote control that forces users to have yet another remote control, this one just for changing the channel, instead of using one's full-function remote that came with their TV or sound system. The channels changed slightly slower, too. After hooking all of this up, we were told the regular box is free and the HD box is a monthly charge. Yeah, it would give us more HD channels, but we don't need them. Pay for what we got for free? No thanks.

2. The computer situation was even worse. the converter box works like a VCR, in that everything has to go through "channel 3" on the box. That means the DVR software on our computer we've been using to record shows became needlessly crippled. We could still record, but we couldn't use the software's guide. So let's say I wanted to record 30 Rock. I'd have to set the box to channel 3 and set my computer to record whatever's on channel 3 at the same time as 30 Rock, according to the programming guide. For us, that's the CNN News Room 4-hour block. So to record 30 Rock, I have to record a four-hour program and fast-forward through it to get to what I want. Our perfectly-working system? Arbitrarily crippled. They couldn't think of any solution unless I wanted to pay more for a Comcast TV tuner card. Again, pay for what was free? No thanks.

We picked up the computer and HDTV in 2008. This is not outdated technology. This isn't even planned obsolescence. This is Comcast trying to assert propitiatory business privilege over what we watch and how we watch it.

Screw that.

We canceled cable and internet, switched to Qwest internet, picked up a Boxee Box, have plans to subscribe to Netflix and Hulu Plus once Boxee partners with it, and we'll never go back to cable again.

At least, not Comcast.
Old 11-15-10, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11 View Post
Having said that though, the service is great, internet has only gone out on my maybe twice for reasons that were not the fault of my home's wiring (which we redid and is now solid again) and the cable TV has never gone out in almost 4 years.
I kept the internet but cancelled their TV and went with Dish Network. I had nothing but problems with the new comcast digital adapters and figured if I had to have a set top box for every TV it might as well be full featured one. Love Dish, and the only thing I miss from comcast is the on-demand content (which didn't work half the time anyway, and a good portion of it was subscription-only).
Old 11-15-10, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll probably switch from comcast ( I refuse to say xfinity as it is the same thing) soon if I can.
I've had trouble with the internet losing connectivity this year.
6 weeks ago on the last service call they finally fixed it after 4 calls in about 5 weeks..
Then the next bill I get a $30 service charge for the visit.
I call to find out why and they say because I'm not paying the $4 a month extortion fee for service outtage protection.

So I ask, "now what happens if my service goes out," " pay $30 per service call." she says.

Apparently my choice is to pay $30 per visit or the $4 a month extortion fee just in case my service breaks.
Old 11-15-10, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Comcast blows. My internet has been exceptionally crappy this year but unfortunately it's the only internet option in my area. In my last living situation we had the whole shebang with extra boxes and all that and it was expensive.
Old 11-15-10, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Comcast--> Xfinity is like putting lipstick on a pig...just a bad freaking idea for everyone involved.
Old 11-16-10, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
I'll probably switch from comcast ( I refuse to say xfinity as it is the same thing) soon if I can.
I've had trouble with the internet losing connectivity this year.
6 weeks ago on the last service call they finally fixed it after 4 calls in about 5 weeks..
Then the next bill I get a $30 service charge for the visit.
I call to find out why and they say because I'm not paying the $4 a month extortion fee for service outtage protection.

So I ask, "now what happens if my service goes out," " pay $30 per service call." she says.

Apparently my choice is to pay $30 per visit or the $4 a month extortion fee just in case my service breaks.
Same thing happened to me recently, except it was for cable TV. When I switched from digital to basic service, I ended up with no reception at all. They came out to fix it, and I was hit with a $49.99 service fee on the next bill. The first time I called the regular billing department, the CSR told me the fee was because the repair man had to come into my apartment and repair my wiring. This was completely false, but she swore by the service call work order so I gave up. Called back and spoke to another CSR who said that it was my apartment manager's responsibility to pay the fee since the problem was with their wiring on the outside. Spoke to the apartment manager who, as expected, said that was nonsense and unheard of.

Finally called Comcast back and pressed the option to cancel service. The fee was removed very quickly.

Over the years I've dealt with Comcast, this sort of thing has happened more times than I can count.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.