Reload this Page >

YACBT: Tips for e-mail haggling?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-14-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been 13 years since I bought a new car, so I have no experience with internet buying. The dealership I'm looking at is 5 hours away, so I want a deal done on the internet before I go. What's a fair percentage above invoice to pay? An article on edmunds.com said that internet sales were more about volume than individual profits, so you might pay less that way. Also, do they still try to nail you with all the warranty, protective coating, etc. crap when you go to pick up your car, or is the deal really completely done through e-mails?
Old 11-14-10, 09:52 AM

Re: YACBT: Tips for e-mail haggling?

Depends on the car, and you can't really go by what Edmunds says.. I ordered a car last month for invoice, and Edmunds was recommending a price that was about $800 higher than what I paid.

The kicker? I found out that some people were paying as much as $500 UNDER invoice, as the dealers are getting a $1000 holdback from the manufacturer..

In these tough times, the buyer is in the drivers seat.. Negotiate hard, and get quotes from multiple dealerships. Use these quotes against each other to get the absolute best price you can!
Old 11-14-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have never done it, but if looking for a new car, price one out on carsdirect.com. Also, read this site: http://www.carbuyingtips.com/carintro.html
Old 11-14-10, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Officer Cartman View Post
Depends on the car, and you can't really go by what Edmunds says.. I ordered a car last month for invoice, and Edmunds was recommending a price that was about $800 higher than what I paid.

The kicker? I found out that some people were paying as much as $500 UNDER invoice, as the dealers are getting a $1000 holdback from the manufacturer..

In these tough times, the buyer is in the drivers seat.. Negotiate hard, and get quotes from multiple dealerships. Use these quotes against each other to get the absolute best price you can!
it depends on many factors, the car you are buying, the demand at the time, how many dealers are in the area, how desperate the dealer is to meeting their quota or hitting their next incentive, etc.

but you can certainly do better than $500 below invoice, under ideal conditions. i helped my parents buy a Camry a few years ago, they paid over $2000 under invoice. Nissan was offering a while back 30-40% off SUVs/trucks during the time when the gas prices where high.

the OP can read my car buying experience here, if interested.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...xperience.html
Old 11-14-10, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by redcat View Post
It's been 13 years since I bought a new car, so I have no experience with internet buying. The dealership I'm looking at is 5 hours away, so I want a deal done on the internet before I go. What's a fair percentage above invoice to pay? An article on edmunds.com said that internet sales were more about volume than individual profits, so you might pay less that way. Also, do they still try to nail you with all the warranty, protective coating, etc. crap when you go to pick up your car, or is the deal really completely done through e-mails?
it really depends on the dealership. is the dealership that you are going to in a big town with many other competitor dealerships? if they know you are their only option, then it would be harder to get a hot deal.

i've heard of people flying to other states to buy cars from larger dealerships and driving it home because it was cheaper to do so than to buy from the local dealership.

most likely, you can do it through e-mail, but when discussing, as for OTD (Out the Door) price. This price includes all taxes, fees, etc. if you are financing, many times, you will be able to find financing cheaper elsewhere, but if you choose to finance through the dealership, you can haggle the finance rate too. i'm sure they'll still try to sell you additional stuff like warranty, paint protection,etc., but those, just decline them.
Old 11-15-10, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

getting the internet discount like carsdirect.com is easy. you have to fight for your trade in value
Old 11-15-10, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

if you have an older car, i'd say try to sell it privately. most likely, a new car dealer will give you very little for it.
Old 11-15-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
if you have an older car, i'd say try to sell it privately. most likely, a new car dealer will give you very little for it.
I won't be trading in a car, so at least I don't have to deal with that headache. And Hyundai is offering 2.9% financing, so I'm guessing that will be my best bet there. The dealership I'm looking at seems to have a lot in stock, so I'm hoping that helps as well. (I want to get a 2011 Sonata.) I sent an e-mail with a specific question to the dealer, but I've only gotten automated responses so far.