Reload this Page >

Anything good in Cleveland?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-10-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'll be going to Cleveland for the first time on Jan 2nd to check out the Steelers play, and was wondering if there was anything of interest in Cleveland. Other than the Rock n' Roll hall of fame of course.

Any particular foods to try, specific to that region?

Any good parks to visit?

etc.
Old 11-10-10, 11:35 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Anything good in Cleveland?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ysmLA5TqbIY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ysmLA5TqbIY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

And another one with embedding disabled: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM
Old 11-10-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

touche
Old 11-10-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

At least it's not Detroit.
Old 11-10-10, 12:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...land-ohio.html

Cleveland is a fantastic city. There's tons of stuff to do and see. It has one of the best art museums in the country and possibly the best symphony in North America.
Old 11-10-10, 01:04 PM

Is it true that no matter where you go in Ohio, there's always somebody walking around with a steel drum?
Old 11-10-10, 01:06 PM

I'm a huge fan of my hometown, and think there's a lot to do here! You'll probably want to spend most of Sunday morning tailgating, but be prepared for chants of "Asshole, Asshole" and having things thrown at you for wearing Steelers garb. The crowd can get rough, but we're not dangerous.

http://www.east4thstreet.com/home.php
As for local fare, we're starting to be known as a foodie destination. There's an area downtown between Euclid and Prospect called E. 4th St- it has some great choices if you're in to a little more upscale choices. Iron Chef Michael Symon has Lola there, and Food & Wine's Best New Chef 2010 Jonathon Sawyer has the Greenhouse Tavern. Food Network's Aaron Sanchez recipe's are featured at Zocalo, also on that street. Another standout to locals is Chinato, for upscale Italian fare from one of our favorite sons, Zack Bruell. There's also a great upscale bar/bowling alley on the corner, if you'll be hanging out with a group.

http://www.ohiocity.com/index.cgi?id=131&l=2&p=3726
If you're into craft beer, Ohio City is just across the river from downtown (about a 5 minute cab ride from the lakefront) and there are also some great restaurants and bars there. Great Lakes Brewing is the most popular, and the most crowded. Bier Market/Bar Cento is awesome, if you are into Belgian beers. There is also a new beer garden in the works from DogfishHead's Any Tveekram, but I don't think it's set to open until Feb or March. For food choices in Ohio City- Flying Fig is a foodie destination, but Momocho is my favorite. Their Mod Mex cuisine has recently been featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCHOELWsWOE If you're short on time and just want to get a taste for Cleveland, I'd highly recommend the West Side Market- especially if you are in town on Saturday morning. You can wander through the stalls and purchase some pierogis (a Cleveland and Pittsburgh food akin to a polish ravioli).

http://tremontwest.org/index/dining
If you're a fan of "A Christmas Story" movie, you might want to visit the original house (now museum) in Tremont, another short cab ride from the stadium. It's the neighborhood just past Ohio City and only another minute or two away via freeway. More great bars and restaurants, most of them chef-driven. Also a bunch of art galleries and a few eclectic boutiques. Sokolowski's is a perfect place to try the aforementioned pierogi. http://www.sokolowskis.com/

Other notable neighborhoods include Little Italy, Coventry and the Gordon-Square Arts District, but those are getting a little further out (maybe 15 minutes).

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/cle...m/snowdays.jsp
We do have a lot of Metroparks, but January really isn't the best time to check those out. However, you might be interested in checking out the Cleveland Indian's stadium for "Snowdays". It's a brand new concept, for us and the MLB- so I have no idea how cool or how lame it may be. But, it sounds fun!

http://www.clevelandplus.com/indexcz.asp
Cleveland also has a ton of museums and cultural activities. Our art museum and Orchestra are rated among the best in the world, but if you're interested in those types of things then you probably already knew that!

I could go on and on, but a lot of it really comes down to what you enjoy doing. If you're more laid back and interested in simpler fare, there's an incredible hot dog joint where for $5 you can choose from as many as 50 house made toppings (the chef is also the owner of Momocho, mentioned above.) And, we have a grilled cheese place that makes you re-think the very concept of a grilled cheese. Melt was also featured on DDD and has a location in Lakewood, not far from downtown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TtkfwFders Michael Symon's burgers are incredible, featuring a special blend of Pat LaFrieda beef that took over 2 years to perfect. Clevelanders do food very well, from the simple food truck (seasonal, however) to the upscale.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. I can also better recommend places once I know about how long you'll be visiting, where you're staying and what your specific interests are. Shoot me a PM if you want my email address.
Old 11-10-10, 01:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Is it true that no matter where you go in Ohio, there's always somebody walking around with a steel drum?
I don't know; is that something you heard from one of your wives?
Old 11-10-10, 01:14 PM

Please do not make generalizations about my state based on what you see in a popular TV show.

But yes, one of my wives said she saw that on Glee.
Old 11-10-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Renee View Post
If you're short on time and just want to get a taste for Cleveland, I'd highly recommend the West Side Market- especially if you are in town on Saturday morning. You can wander through the stalls and purchase some pierogis (a Cleveland and Pittsburgh food akin to a polish ravioli).

Sokolowski's is a perfect place to try the aforementioned pierogi. http://www.sokolowskis.com/
Agreed on both counts, but be sure to pay particular attention to Sokolowski's hours of operation.
Old 11-10-10, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
I'd skip the R&RHOF, though.

Just out of principle. I hate that place, and I've never even seen it. Jann Wenner wouldn't know good rock-n-roll if I clubbed him over the head with my guitar during a solo.
I've heard a lot of mixed reviews of the R&RHOF. I enjoy it, but it is a bit of a glorified Hard Rock Cafe. The films are very well done, and there are some exhibits that I really enjoy. I think it all comes down to how much you're really interested in music. If you're the type of person that only listens to what's on Clear Channel and doesn't care at all about how one band influenced another, then it's probably not worth the money. However, if you do visit, be sure to talk to the docents. Their stories and insights are especially interesting, to me at least!
Old 11-10-10, 01:54 PM

I completely forgot about that thread! And, it looks like I missed a bump with a couple of questions.

Most of what I posted there is still current, with a few exceptions:

The submarine & 2 sightseeing cruises are seasonal and closed in January.

Vivo is no longer in operation and that space is now the Chocolate Bar (desserts/martinis.)

Most of the Cleveland Museum of Art's collection is once again on display, although remodeling is ongoing. Absolutely worth visiting, and free for the permanent exhibits.

The Avenue at Tower City has re-opened the observation deck, but don't waste your time eating in the chain restaurants there! Bice at the Ritz-Carlton is now Muse and has a farm to table special that I've heard great things about.

Alice Cooperstown is now Local Heroes Sports bar.

The NASA exhibits are currently being moved over to the Great Lakes Science Center. Some are already on display and included in admission to that museum.

I forgot to mention that if you visit Bier Market/Bar Cento in the evening, watch for a red light that signifies that the downstairs Speakeasy is currently open for cocktails.

Another downtown brewery is Indigo Imp, but I'm unsure if they regularly allow tours and tastings.
Old 11-10-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ChineseCheckers View Post
So I'll be going to Cleveland for the first time on Jan 2nd to check out the Steelers play, and was wondering if there was anything of interest in Cleveland. Other than the Rock n' Roll hall of fame of course.

Any particular foods to try, specific to that region?

Any good parks to visit?

etc.
It is fairly close to Canton, Ohio, so visit to NFL hall of fame?
Old 11-10-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been to Cleveland plenty of times. I think the video above pretty much summarizes it... once the Flats went to hell, there was no reason to go back.
Old 11-10-10, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Don't forget to try one of their famous "Steamers".
Old 11-10-10, 03:48 PM

Great Weather and awesome sports teams......wait nope nothing.
Old 11-10-10, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I liked the rock in roll hall of fame. There's also a cool bar down by the Indians stadium. I can't remember the name, but it's on the corner. It's pretty famous. Maybe has a lizard in the name or something.
Old 11-10-10, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hope you enjoy second-hand smoke.
Old 11-10-10, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I've been to Cleveland plenty of times. I think the video above pretty much summarizes it... once the Flats went to hell, there was no reason to go back.
The Flats were just a series of bars along the Riverfront. We still have a ton of bars all clustered together in the Warehouse District. Same vibe, different locale and less chance of drunken drowning.

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I liked the rock in roll hall of fame. There's also a cool bar down by the Indians stadium. I can't remember the name, but it's on the corner. It's pretty famous. Maybe has a lizard in the name or something.
The Winking Lizard is a local chain of bars with a pretty great craft beer selection, decent pub grub and really inexpensive happy hour food specials. That makes it a very popular place!

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Hope you enjoy second-hand smoke.
??? We've had an indoor smoking ban in place for quite a few years now?
Old 11-10-10, 05:41 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wsox2009 View Post
Great Weather and awesome sports teams......wait nope nothing.
Old 11-10-10, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 11-10-10, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just in Cleveland on business last week. The first night I ate at a Japanese/Malaysian place called Pacific East. I would place it firmly in the "just OK" category. The second night, however, I ate at the Blue Point Grill and that was quite solid indeed.

I definitely would have eaten at Sokolowski's one of those two nights but they are only open for dinner on Friday and Saturday. Lunch only the rest of the week. I suspect this is what printerati was reffering to.
Old 11-10-10, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Renee View Post
I've heard a lot of mixed reviews of the R&RHOF. I enjoy it, but it is a bit of a glorified Hard Rock Cafe. The films are very well done, and there are some exhibits that I really enjoy. I think it all comes down to how much you're really interested in music. If you're the type of person that only listens to what's on Clear Channel and doesn't care at all about how one band influenced another, then it's probably not worth the money. However, if you do visit, be sure to talk to the docents. Their stories and insights are especially interesting, to me at least!
I enjoyed the R&RHOF immensely. All kinds of really cool stuff on display, and the films are very well done.

If you have one, wear a Rush t-shirt. Just because
Old 05-05-13, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I enjoyed the R&RHOF immensely. All kinds of really cool stuff on display, and the films are very well done.

If you have one, wear a Rush t-shirt. Just because

I guess it worked.

What's shocking is that there existed a Hall of Fame for Rock Music that did not have Rush already in there.
Old 05-06-13, 10:54 AM
RIP

The bus out of town.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.