Reload this Page >

Someone got $80 from my CC... now they went for $700

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-09-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok this is a first for me so any help here would be appreciated. I just talked to my bank as I saw A $40 charge I didnt know about, turns out they got another $40 today and than went for the big bucks. Because I keep my checking low incase this shit happens it didnt go through. Now I find out its somone in europe stealing from me. I have NO idea how this happened as Ive just been buying stuff from Amazon and such. Nothing weird. The only new site Ive used recently was SecondSpin.com

So they canceled my card and will send me paper work that I have to fill out and get my $80 back, they will research it and see if they can catch the person doing fraud, than I have to do a lawsuit? Im a bit overwhelmed by this as Ive never been through this and do not know how it happened. I shred everything and watch my ass, any advice?
Old 11-09-10, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Someone got $80 from my CC... now they went for $700

You are over reacting

The first step is done, the bank knows there is fraud involved already and hopefully have ceased all transactions

Fill out the paperwork they provided and state the charges were not authorized by you

The bank investigates

If you DO NOT get your money back, then freak out, but chances are they will see the fraud and close the case and move on. No legal action by you should be necessary, unless the bank claims you authorized payment and tries to stick you with it.
Old 11-09-10, 02:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you'll fill the paperwork, they'll figure out it wasn't you, you'll get your money back and nothing else on your part will have to be done. at the very least nothing at all to stress over.
Old 11-09-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even on a checking account? I know you're well-covered with a credit card, but I guess I thought that checking accounts were a little less easy to get straightened out.
Old 11-09-10, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
I shred everything and watch my ass, any advice?
Sounds like someone else is watching your ass too.

(And like what the others have said, let the bank take care of it. They generally like keeping their customers.)
Old 11-09-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

you're protected as far as your cc is concerned. I would pull my credit report and make sure I'm not the victim of identity theft (as opposed to credit card number theft).

If not, your work is done. They will never find the person who did it, just move on. No big deal.
Old 11-09-10, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Again, the OP brings up his checking account, which leads me to believe that he's talking about a debit card.

I had an issue years ago with a former roommate, and my bank told me that a debit card doesn't have the same protections as a true credit card. Hopefully I'm wrong on that, or maybe things have changed.
Old 11-09-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
Again, the OP brings up his checking account, which leads me to believe that he's talking about a debit card.

I had an issue years ago with a former roommate, and my bank told me that a debit card doesn't have the same protections as a true credit card. Hopefully I'm wrong on that, or maybe things have changed.
It doesn't, but your deposits are still FDIC insured and you are never going to be responsible for fraud.
Old 11-09-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would never use a debit card for online transactions. It doesn't matter what site it is.
Old 11-09-10, 02:53 PM

Well I was a bit releived reading what you guys are saying but yea its a debit card so now I dont know! I hope Im under the same protection. They closed it and Ill get a new card in 10 days.

So I guess now my damn firewall is no good, I use the newest mozilla and keep the security high on that. The only dumb thing I did recently was try to get $10 from an ATM 4 times while drunk on Saturday. But it showed $0 auth and nothng came out.
Old 11-09-10, 02:59 PM

I did use paypal recently but nothing through email. I had to send a guy $5 but its someone I 'know' Ive used paypal before and nothing ever happened.

And id love to go to europe and kill this person... Id probably stay living there too
Old 11-09-10, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
Ah, you must've been....(wait for it).....

......Ravenous.
Hell yea man! It was for a funnel cake
Old 11-09-10, 03:10 PM
Premium Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post

It's every bit as safe as doing it "in person", so long as you use safe/reputable sales sites (Amazon, etc.). But, if you're one of those people who can't tell an email from Paypal from an email from Paypa1, maybe you should stay away from internet purchases....
It may be "every bit as safe", but that's not the point.

It's still more of a pain in the ass if someone gets your debit card. The money in your account is taken right away, and you have to wait for it to come back. If you need money from that account and someone drained it, you have to wait for it to get worked out.
Old 11-09-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
Even on a checking account? I know you're well-covered with a credit card, but I guess I thought that checking accounts were a little less easy to get straightened out.
Yup. I had a unauthorized actions (from Skype.com), that totalled about 150$, My Bank credited me the money, while they were doing their investiagation, and would only reverse it if they found out that I was at fault.
Old 11-09-10, 04:20 PM

Yea they got the $80 from me. I have to fill out some papers and ill get it back in 5-7 days. I have to keep calling while on break and I shouldnt even be posting at work, but as others guessed I am stressed over this. My buddy just laughed and said he keeps no more than $40 on his card. My coworker firend was tellling me how it happened twice to her.
Old 11-09-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Had it happen to me last year. There was a charge from Europe. Turns out it was a company (I forget the name) that handled everything from pharmecuticals to video game software. It was about $100 dollars. When looking through my bank statements and the actual transaction, inside the transaction code was what I thought was a 1-800 phone number. I called it and inquired about the transaction. They apologized and refunded the total and my bank also refunded the total so I made out +$100. Also, I had transactions/checks that did not come through my account yet and I also have my paycheck auto-deposited so I was able to freeze just the withdrawals out of the account until everything was resolved. Then I got new cards and an account #.
Old 11-09-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
It doesn't, but your deposits are still FDIC insured and you are never going to be responsible for fraud.
Unfortunately FDIC does not protect you against fraud, it only insures against your bank going belly up.

The bank should reimburse you for fraudulent transactions, but I'm pretty sure there is a time limit which may be as short as 30 days in which you have to report something for it to be covered.
Old 11-09-10, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At least you guys have had small amounts stolen. We recently (about 4 months ago) had a Mastercard statement that had 3 charges of 1000 (About $4000 at the time) paid to BETFRED.COM.

That was a real WTF moment. The annoying part was that the card issuer makes a point of saying how they keep an eye out for suspicious activity on your CC. Apparently 3000 in three separate transactions in a day (to an online gambling site, no less) wasn't suspicious activity. Of course, the time my wife bought a couch at Sears for about $1000 (on the same card) was enough to get them to call the house to make sure it was a legit purchase.

What really pissed me off about it was that they (the CC issuer) wouldn't say whose name was on the CC, since we each have our own cards on the same account. It would help us try to figure out where it may have been compromised. They have removed all the charges, but there was a lot of calling to sort out the interest charges and some finance charges for currency conversion or something.

It's interesting that the OP mentioned secondspin, since I frequently purchase from there.
Old 11-10-10, 10:16 AM

Debit Cards have similar protections as credit cards. Credit cards still provide better protection, but the only real problem when disputing a debit card transaction is that the disputed amount is debited from you account, and thus you have less funds available. Visa and Mastercard debit cards provide zero fraud liability on purchases that go through there networks. I think the law states that customer is only liable for $50, but Visa and MC waive it. The only real bitch to dispute are PIN based transactions, as no one is suppose to know your PIN. But I've seen people get there money back from that; sometimes you need a police report if that happens to you.
Old 11-10-10, 10:18 AM

FROM VISA'S WEBSITE:

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/d...html#anchor_20
Old 11-10-10, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
The annoying part was that the card issuer makes a point of saying how they keep an eye out for suspicious activity on your CC. Apparently 3000 in three separate transactions in a day (to an online gambling site, no less) wasn't suspicious activity. Of course, the time my wife bought a couch at Sears for about $1000 (on the same card) was enough to get them to call the house to make sure it was a legit purchase.
I'd really like to take a look at the fraud detection algorithms they use. The only times I've gotten calls were after making small electronics purchases from Best Buy in my area. It's not a problem to use it at a gas station in London or a restaurant in Mandeville, Jamaica. Apparently they think it's more likely for me to go on an unannounced spending spree in another country than buy a digital camera at home, although looking at past credit card statements would tell them that the latter types of purchases probably occur ten times as frequently.
Old 11-10-10, 04:37 PM

Damn that sucks Andi.. I hope it wasnt SecondSpin!

So I hit the bank after work and the guy was real helpful. Basically yea, Im sweating something thats no big deal. Im insured. The bitch is really trying to figure out how it happened (if my comp firewall has been breached, etc) and waiting for my new card.... 15 damn days. The odd thing is that they just refund me in 5 days, mastercards sends the peopel who did the fraud a letter and see if they dispute it, if they do not, its considered a win. I guess they dont sue anybody or try to arrest them. Thats pretty stupid. If I can steal from people and if I get caught just get some letter and I just dont respond and get away with money, thats pertty sweet
Old 11-10-10, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The merchants are the only losers here. Bank takes money back from the merchants, money goes back to your card, con artists get free stuff.