Reload this Page >

Military History websites?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-04-10, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if there are any web sites that involve intelligent conversations about military or world History issues? I read a lot of history books and I would love to be involved in a forum that just deals with that subject matter. I would rather be discussing these issues and learn from other people with the same intrests than reading topics like Kid gets his tongue stuck in a water bottle, etc.
Old 11-04-10, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Military History websites?

You could try historum.com or even the history channel's forums.
Old 11-04-10, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.ww2f.com/

This site is not bad for WWII. Just a few loonies here and there.
Old 11-04-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JOE29 View Post
Does anyone know if there are any web sites that involve intelligent conversations about military or world History issues? I read a lot of history books and I would love to be involved in a forum that just deals with that subject matter. I would rather be discussing these issues and learn from other people with the same intrests than reading topics like Kid gets his tongue stuck in a water bottle, etc.
Otter has always been silly. After 9 years what was the breaking point?
Old 11-04-10, 09:36 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

So you came here to find information about sites so you don't have to come here anymore?
Old 11-04-10, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
So you came here to find information about sites so you don't have to come here anymore?
No. I'm not looking to leave the site. I just want to expand into something else.
Expand my horizons, so to speak. I can be on more than one website. I love DVDTALK.com. The other day I was watching BookTV on Comcast and they had a panel of authors discussing the Civl War Generals , I loved the discussion. That got me thinking of a place where I can discuss topics like that with other people who have the same interests. I'm looking for a forum where the topics are history related only, plus stay here to do other things. That's all.
Old 11-04-10, 09:57 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JOE29 View Post
No. I'm not looking to leave the site. I just want to expand into something else.
Expand my horizons, so to speak. I can be on more than one website. I love DVDTALK.com. The other day I was watching BookTV on Comcast and they had a panel of authors discussing the Civl War Generals , I loved the discussion. That got me thinking of a place where I can discuss topics like that with other people who have the same interests. I'm looking for a forum where the topics are history related only, plus stay here to do other things. That's all.
Ok, gotcha.

I have a Roman History site bookmarked. I don't go there much anymore, but you can check it out if you're into ancient history:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php

There's not nearly as much activity there as there is here, but it is interesting and a lot of folks there are well read.
Old 11-04-10, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Ok, gotcha.

I have a Roman History site bookmarked. I don't go there much anymore, but you can check it out if you're into ancient history:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php

There's not nearly as much activity there as there is here, but it is interesting and a lot of folks there are well read.
Thank you, I love Roman history. Thanks to starman and arminius for your suggestions also.
Old 11-04-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. The podcasts are great and you can discuss in the forums.
Old 11-04-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've not looked at it but is seems that The Military Channel Forums might be nice.
Old 11-04-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Military.com has an active forum as well.
Old 11-04-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alternatehistory.com is the place to be. You'll find no better discussion of Operation Red Dawn than theirs.

I remember my birthday one year into the war. I was stuck in the ruins of Vancouver, drinking a bit of salvaged rum from a store. I had barely wet my tongue when the soviets attacked the department store we were holding. As a Medic I dropped the bottle in my bag after closing it and ran to help some of my mates who were hit by a hand grenade. but the artillery had weakened the roof so much that it fell onto my helmet and knocked me out. There was so much blood on me I guess all the Soviets thought I was dead. I woke up to the Canadians retaking the building a day later.
Just how nasty was Vancouver? I've read that when Ivan couldn't get into Montana and the Dakotas when they were stopped at the border, the Russians tried a push down into B.C. and ultimately planned to go down the West Coast. That was a meat grinder for both sides, I heard; a Stalingrad in the Pacific Northwest. A friend of mine flew F-15s out of McChord in those days; he said that there were days when you couldn't see anything of the city due to all the smoke from fires, air and artillery strikes, etc.
For those of us baby boomers growing up in America during the Cold War years, you have no idea how unbelievable those summer days in 1984 seemed, when the invasion first happened. It was like a bad movie gone terribly wrong. I was born in 1955, a little too young for Vietnam. I knew a lot of guys a few years older than me who had been over there, and they mostly came back with serious drinking or drug problems. When the shit did hit the fan, I was luckier than some, because I grew up in a hunting/outdoor culture, and I was not prepared to just roll over and give up. I was able to grab weapons and vital supplies and head west, out of the small Kansas town where I had grown up, and retreat all the way into the mountains of Colorado, where, one day, I ran into a resistance group who called themselves the Wolverines. We didn't have anything more than small arms for defense [hell, in truth, in those early days, we had to rely mostly on shotguns and bows], but we were so incensed that anybody would DARE attack the good old US of A, that our righteous indignation kept us going when, by all rights, we should have given it up as a lost cause. We lost a lot of good people, women as well as men, but we stuck it out,and when the forces of good finally prevailed, the Wolverines were still in one piece.
Old 11-04-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some good sites already mentioned, here's some more:

http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/awc-hist.htm

http://www.history.army.mil/

http://www.naval-history.net/

http://www.historynet.com/magazines/military_history

http://www.archives.gov/research/ali...y-history.html
Old 11-04-10, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wonderful, thanks guys
Old 11-04-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Alternatehistory.com is the place to be. .
YES. Did not know about this site.