car repair: the 2nd opinion

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-03-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The value of a 2nd opinion for a car repair:

My wife drives an 06 Saturn Ion, and lately she's been aware of a vibration of sorts when driving over 45. Not a major shake, but enough to make one feel something isn't quite "normal".

I took the car for an oil change at NTB the other day and I was told my front tires were wearing unevenly so they would look to see what the problem might be. I was given an estimate for $842 to fix the "lower control arms'!

Took the car to a local repair place we've used in the past and trust - the kind of place that didn't charge us for a couple of small repairs. I just get a call - they drove it, and then put it up on the lift. Did a wheel balance. Cost: $45.

$842 vs $45. Man, that's some disparity.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 11-03-10 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-03-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: car repair: the 2nd opinion

sounded like a alignment and tire balance issue.

possibly even rotors being warped.

842 should not be a price to "fix," but more so remove and replace.

Glad you went to local repair place.
Old 11-03-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mole177 View Post
sounded like a alignment and tire balance issue.

possibly even rotors being warped.

842 should not be a price to "fix," but more so remove and replace.

Glad you went to local repair place.
Exactly, you can't fix control arms, they need to be replaced. You can replace ball joints and/or bushings for the control arm on some cars instead of the whole arm but still nothing there that can be fixed.

Worn brake rotors should not cause a shake while driving, you should only feel it when you hit the brakes.
Old 11-03-10, 04:58 PM

Had an interesting one a few months ago. My car started making a grinding noise in the transmission (and I knew it needed front suspension work). Took it to one place I had used on occasion. They said the transmission was shot and needed a full rebuild. Total quote was about $5000. My step father took it to a place he uses (and is friends with the owner). They saw that there was a couple of broken trans mount bolts. Replaced those and did the suspension work for $1200.

I asked them why the other place had overcharged and not properly diagnosed the issue. His response: "If we didn't know your Dad we probably would have done the same thing. Times are tight."

Seems that a good amount of repair places live up the "scam artists" stereotype.
Old 11-03-10, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
There really should be some serious penalties for attempting to fuck people over like that.
There are, people stop bringing their cars in for service there and tell friends to do the same.