Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Why would a company put flamable "things" in the wax of a candle?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-03-10, 04:54 AM
Li

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I lit a candle that I've had for a few years, tonight. An ex girlfriend had purchased it and left it here. I knew it was supposed to smell like cinnamon because it had sticks of cinnamon in the solidified wax for decoration, I assumed. The lit candle was sitting on my kitchen counter as I was in the adjacent room on the computer, with the door open. About twenty minutes later I smelled smoke, turned around and ran into my kitchen. The damn candle had liquefied as the cinnamon sticks inside the wax caught on fire, and the heap was burning a nice place in my counter-top! I'm lucky it didn't spread and catch anything else on fire.

A little research and I found out that candles made by a company called Vance Kitira, which look identical to how my candle looked, had been recalled after a report of this exact thing happening to someone else. I obviously didn't know or I would have thrown the thing out. At this point I'm pretty convinced this candle was made by this company, however, the label on the bottom was so badly burned that I cannot confirm it 100%. Even if I could prove it I'm not sure there's anything they would do about it. Either way a portion of my counter top is going to have to be replaced now, and I have no idea how much that's going to cost me.
Old 11-03-10, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Re: Why would a company put flamable "things" in the wax of a candle?

Lesson of the day: Always, ALWAYS burn your candle, no matter what it looks like, on a candle-holder. Even for big 3" or 4" diameter candles, there are a number of fireproof candleholders, some as simple as a slab of stone with a rim.

Dude, sorry this happened to you, but you're right, you're lucky it wasn't worse. What kind of countertop is it?

Old 11-03-10, 06:58 AM
Li

That's what this was, a 4in by 6in candle. I don't own a candle holder but I suppose a microwavable plate would have saved the counter top. I feel like a complete idiot, but the last thing I expected a candle to do was to turn into a flaming mass in a matter of minutes. Ugh.

The counter tops are a type of laminate. My major concern is it's been 5 or 6 years, and how difficult is it going to be to replace a section with the same design.
Old 11-03-10, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Obviously the ex was trying to kill you.
Old 11-03-10, 08:05 AM
Li

Originally Posted by Nifty03 View Post
Obviously the ex was trying to kill you.
Not that I think she would have minded, but I don't believe it was intentional.