"Leave them where they lay" taken to the next level

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-02-10, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Lafourche-...106219123.html

LAFOURCHE, La. – The Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office has made an arrest in what officials are calling “one of the worst cases of elderly neglect ever handled” by the office.

Bayou Blue resident April Johnson, 30, was arrested 11:30 a.m. Thursday and charged with cruelty to the infirmed.

Sheriff Craig Webre said deputies found the victim, a 69-year-old woman, living in a 10 x 16 foot wooden shed attached to a home, located in the 1200 block of St. Marie Drive.

Webre said the room was filthy, smelling of urine and rotting flesh, and the victim was on a vinyl mattress with no sheets with a pool of urine that stretched up to her shoulders. Because of a dry, crusted outline of body fluids along the victim’s body, deputies believe the woman, who was laying in the fetal position, had not been moved “in some time.”

When asked about the state of the victim, Johnson said it was not her job to assist her elderly relative, Webre said, and she at first argued with deputies, refusing to allow deputies get the woman medical treatment. The deputies said because the victim seemed to be in a life-threatening condition, they had to remove her from the shed and into a special facility.

Webre said the woman had suffered a broken hip and femur during the time she had gone untreated, and bone and tendons were exposed because of how advanced the sores were on her body. Johnson also told deputies she did not give the victim any of her medications in weeks.

The woman is expected to survive. Other relatives are ready to care for the woman once she is released from medical care, Webre said.

Judge Walter Lanier set bond for Johnson at $50,000.

If she had used a little baking soda to keep the smell down, no one would have noticed.
Old 11-02-10, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "Leave them where they lay" taken to the next level

Webre said the woman had suffered a broken hip and femur during the time she had gone untreated, and bone and tendons were exposed because of how advanced the sores were on her body. Johnson also told deputies she did not give the victim any of her medications in weeks.
Given the womans injuries, I'm surprised no one heard her screaming in pain.
Old 11-02-10, 05:56 PM
Suspended

Cruelty to the infirmed is a criminal offense? I'll have to stop making fun of Lemmy.
Old 11-02-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's a pic of the shed:

Old 11-02-10, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't really expect the story to end with her alive.
Old 11-02-10, 09:21 PM
Banned

nor did I....I...I almost want to know wtf she looked like..but I fear I may not be able to handle that.
Old 11-02-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts