Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

Old 11-01-10, 06:03 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 6,341
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

http://www.ktvq.com/news/the-bison-got-away/


Wow, that's just epic. We spent a week in Yellowstone last year, and saw a lot of wildlife. But these pics are simply jaw-dropping. Imagine what the bison must have been thinking at that time. The guy who got out of his car to shoot those pics is nuts too.
Old 11-01-10, 06:06 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: I'm Still Alive in Los Angeles...or am I?
Posts: 27,815
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

The bison that just bear-ly got away.

YIKES!
Old 11-01-10, 06:11 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Minor Threat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 13,739
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

yeah.....
Old 11-01-10, 06:56 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,882
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

Too bad this didn't hit a few weeks ago. Imagine all the bison and bear costume teams we would have seen this Halloween.
Old 11-01-10, 06:57 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
CKMorpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,023
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

Awesome photos!
Old 11-01-10, 08:26 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 194
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

Is it wrong that I wish the bear had of caught him? The rangers had to put him down anyways, at least that way the bear would have gotten a meal.
Old 11-01-10, 09:24 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Working for Gizmonic Institute
Posts: 10,430
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

The first comment on the site is adorable in its rampant stupidity.
Old 11-02-10, 12:28 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

That's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. I can't imagine what that would have looked like in real life.

I fail to understand why the bison "had to be put down" though. Why do some human beings feel the need to interject into nature? If the bison was going to die just let it die. Why does the ranger need to make that decision?

Ok, the bison was badly injured, but it was in good enough shape to outrun a God-damned Grizzly Bear. It's reward for outrunning a Grizzly is to be put down by some person? What the fuck?

I mean Christ...isn't the point of a national park so nature can just take its course without human intervention?

It's not like the bison was injured by a car or something and was put down because of something man made. It walked into a natual hot thing and got all burned to shit. Sorry but that's just nature.

Leave the animals the fuck alone. Who knows maybe the bison would have lived out its life just fine. Animals get naturally injured all the time and live for years afterward.
Old 11-02-10, 12:53 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 5,221
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

I guess picnic baskets wasn't enough for Yogi.
Old 11-02-10, 06:32 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: I'm Still Alive in Los Angeles...or am I?
Posts: 27,815
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

That's 'PIC-A-NIC' BASKET!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7TX2jEdwX2c?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7TX2jEdwX2c?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 11-02-10, 09:08 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 58,108
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

Color me disappointed. For some reason I did not imagine this being a street race.
Old 11-02-10, 11:27 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,178
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

That's downright embarrassing. The bison should be able to take that bear. I hang my head in shame.
Old 11-02-10, 12:40 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 5,830
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

Call me an ignoramous. What the hell burns are those?

It was a bison, badly burned from an encounter with one of the numerous hot spots in Yellowstone National Park.
Old 11-02-10, 12:48 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

Originally Posted by suziq999 View Post
Call me an ignoramous. What the hell burns are those?

It was a bison, badly burned from an encounter with one of the numerous hot spots in Yellowstone National Park.
I could be wrong but I think it's basically just a blast of hot air that comes out of the ground. Yellowstone is essentially a giant volcano and sometimes steam bursts out. The bison must have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old 11-02-10, 01:27 PM
  #15  
Admin-MemeCat
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,819
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

Originally Posted by Blotto View Post
Is it wrong that I wish the bear had of caught him? The rangers had to put him down anyways, at least that way the bear would have gotten a meal.
I totally agree with you. The bear would have put the animal out of its misery.
Old 11-02-10, 01:39 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: MI
Posts: 25,060
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

I think PETA should speak to the bear about becoming a vegan.
Old 11-02-10, 01:58 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,950
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
That's downright embarrassing. The bison should be able to take that bear. I hang my head in shame.


I know you're joking, but nothing can take a Grizzly.

In CA, back in the Gold Rush days, they used to have entertainment where animals were put into a pit with a Grizzly for fights. They even imported exotic animals for epic matches because they were making a fortune off the miners paying to see the fights. They put big Silverbacks in the pit, male Lions, all kinds of stuff.

The bear will always win. Maybe an Orca could take it in the water, but nothing on land can.

I have, however, seen a Grizzly ran off from its fresh kill by an animal so tough, so fearless, so ferocious and terrible, the bear decided going hungry was preferable to getting all fucked up killing it.

I agree about leaving animals alone. One thing I can think of is: they figured the thing would be in pain and pissed off, and might hurt somebody. Buffalo are no joke, man they are powerful animals. I had to stand near a few to really get that in full measure.
Old 11-02-10, 02:33 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post


I know you're joking, but nothing can take a Grizzly.

In CA, back in the Gold Rush days, they used to have entertainment where animals were put into a pit with a Grizzly for fights. They even imported exotic animals for epic matches because they were making a fortune off the miners paying to see the fights. They put big Silverbacks in the pit, male Lions, all kinds of stuff.

The bear will always win. Maybe an Orca could take it in the water, but nothing on land can.

I have, however, seen a Grizzly ran off from its fresh kill by an animal so tough, so fearless, so ferocious and terrible, the bear decided going hungry was preferable to getting all fucked up killing it.

I agree about leaving animals alone. One thing I can think of is: they figured the thing would be in pain and pissed off, and might hurt somebody. Buffalo are no joke, man they are powerful animals. I had to stand near a few to really get that in full measure.
Am I missing something or did you deliberately not say what animal ran a Grizzly off a kill? Was it a Tasmanian Devil? An angry badger?

Anyway, I agree that a large bear is pretty much the apex land predator out there. I can't think of anything on land that would be higher up on the food chain other than humans. You mentioned a silverback gorilla...I wonder about them. For the most part they're pretty docile creatures but they are immensely strong and powerful. I also have to believe that they're smarter than the average bear. I just wonder if, sufficiently provoked, a tough ass silverback could hold its own against a Grizzly.
Old 11-02-10, 02:43 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,178
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
Well, I know they can take Razorbacks and lowly Jawhawks. Need a matchup with Cal.
Old 11-02-10, 02:58 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,950
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
Am I missing something or did you deliberately not say what animal ran a Grizzly off a kill? Was it a Tasmanian Devil? An angry badger?
Newman! I forgot to specify it was a Wolverine.

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
Anyway, I agree that a large bear is pretty much the apex land predator out there. I can't think of anything on land that would be higher up on the food chain other than humans. You mentioned a silverback gorilla...I wonder about them. For the most part they're pretty docile creatures but they are immensely strong and powerful. I also have to believe that they're smarter than the average bear. I just wonder if, sufficiently provoked, a tough ass silverback could hold its own against a Grizzly.
Gorillas are so strong it's hard for most people to truly grasp it. They could literally rip a human into pieces without even applying themselves. They pull trees out of the ground roots and all. It takes a bulldozer to do that for us. Anyone who's worked with removing even a smaller tree from a yard has perspective on that.

Grizzlies killed the shit out of those Gorillas though, man they didn't even stand a chance.

A Grizzly can run down a man trying to escape on horseback, take the horse down, and kill both the man and the horse. They really are amazing animals.

Hence, thinking about the Short Faced Bear is so fascinating. The mind boggles at what that thing would have been like, and it had a range spanning from Alaska all the way down into Mexico.
Old 11-02-10, 02:58 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 5,830
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
I could be wrong but I think it's basically just a blast of hot air that comes out of the ground. Yellowstone is essentially a giant volcano and sometimes steam bursts out. The bison must have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.
See, that's the image I have in my mind, but why the selective burning on it's feet and eye balls? Seems strange... like the bison was looking in a hole and going "huh, what's happening in here?" and then it blows in his face. Very strange.
Old 11-02-10, 03:12 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: MI
Posts: 25,060
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

Originally Posted by suziq999 View Post
See, that's the image I have in my mind, but why the selective burning on it's feet and eye balls? Seems strange... like the bison was looking in a hole and going "huh, what's happening in here?" and then it blows in his face. Very strange.
Grazing animals spend a lot of time with their head down, 'cause that's where the grass is, Four feet on the ground is obvious. Steam and boiling water can cause nasty (and fast) burns. If the geyser erupts fast, you are seriously burnt before you notice you are in serious pain.
Old 11-02-10, 03:16 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

Originally Posted by suziq999 View Post
See, that's the image I have in my mind, but why the selective burning on it's feet and eye balls? Seems strange... like the bison was looking in a hole and going "huh, what's happening in here?" and then it blows in his face. Very strange.
I don't think bison are exactly the scholars of the animal kingdom, so who knows what it was doing.

I agree that the burn pattern is strange though. If it did look into a hole and got blasted in the face it seems like just its head would have gotten burned. If the blast came from underneath then just its legs and underside would have been burned.

It looked like only its eyes, legs and some random areas on its back and side were burned.
Old 11-02-10, 03:21 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
Newman! I forgot to specify it was a Wolverine.



Gorillas are so strong it's hard for most people to truly grasp it. They could literally rip a human into pieces without even applying themselves. They pull trees out of the ground roots and all. It takes a bulldozer to do that for us. Anyone who's worked with removing even a smaller tree from a yard has perspective on that.

Grizzlies killed the shit out of those Gorillas though, man they didn't even stand a chance.

A Grizzly can run down a man trying to escape on horseback, take the horse down, and kill both the man and the horse. They really are amazing animals.

Hence, thinking about the Short Faced Bear is so fascinating. The mind boggles at what that thing would have been like, and it had a range spanning from Alaska all the way down into Mexico.
I looked up the short faced bear. Yeah that would have been something to see. A bear taller than a person while its on all fours. That thing must have been 15 feet tall up on its hind legs.

By the way, I'm curious what the grizzly's strategy was against the gorilla. Did the bear crush its back with its arm or did it use its teeth and claws?
Old 11-02-10, 03:47 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,950
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yellowstone: Bear Chasing Bison

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
I looked up the short faced bear. Yeah that would have been something to see. A bear taller than a person while its on all fours. That thing must have been 15 feet tall up on its hind legs.

By the way, I'm curious what the grizzly's strategy was against the gorilla. Did the bear crush its back with its arm or did it use its teeth and claws?
Well these are from newspapers and the like from the 1800's, so(that I'm aware of) we don't have all the blow-by-blow details of the fights. One old article I've read did mention that one of the large male Lions that was put into the pit had its back broken by the Grizzly with a single blow from its paw.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.