Reload this Page >

YEAT: Basic Ebay tips for newb sellers?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-30-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't used eBay much over the years. I rather dislike it. Not so much eBay, but the basic process of selling and buying things through the mail from strangers that I may or may not be able to trust. I think I've only used it for purchasing, which has fortunately worked out well for me in the past.

I have some collectibles that I want to sell, and I've tried craigslist but I think they are a bit obscure for the locals. I need a wider audience to sell these reasonably, and I'm a bit impatient so I want to move them quickly. I'm really not looking forward to shipping anything, but oh well.

I don't have a lot of stars or whatever that would show me to be a reputable seller, and I don't really know what to be careful for in buyers.

Do I include shipping in the price? When should I get insurance? Tracking? PayPal?

What are some of the essential things to know and look out for when selling on eBay?

Also, if anyone lives near Ventura CA and wants to come pick up a few boxes of junk to sell on eBay, we can split the profits.
Old 10-30-10, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: YEAT: Basic Ebay tips for newb sellers?

Definately sign up for Paypal. Most buyers/sellers use it. Not having it available limits your target customers. When you sell, select the shipping options that are easiest for you. If you are near a post office or UPS store, use them. It's not much of a hassle to ship that way. Buyers will select which option they prefer and pay shipping charges. Do not include it in the asking price. Always get tracking. It's free with UPS and assures you that your package was delivered. Never use a reserve price. Don't make buyers waste their time bidding if if won't count until your reserve is reached. Instead, set the minimum price you will accept as the opening price. Don't expect used items to come close to retail, however, sometimes people will continue to bid until the item is more than retail. People are morans.
Be honest about the item description, ship within a day of payment received and answer any questions quickly and honestly and you will have a 100% rating before you know it. I usually use a seven day auction beginning on Sunday. That way, if a buyer pays on the next Sunday I can ship it Monday. It saves having to wait an additional two days over the next weekend to receive the package.
Old 10-30-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much do you want for your item? Your best bet is to list it at a fixed price and allow he "make offer" button.

Don't expect to get a lot of money for your collectibles. For instance, if you saw a 'dealer' selling one for $200, you might get $50-75 for it.

eBay forces you to take accept electronic payments. So might as well get a PayPal account now.

Make sure that you package your item well. All sellers are responsible fo safe delivery. If you're new to packaging, I'd recommend shipping via USPS.

Take good pictures. eBay doesn't charge for them anymore. Throw all twelve pics on there, if you can.

I could give you a five hour lecture about how to sell on eBay. But I'm not gonna. You can't make me.
Old 10-30-10, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Never mind, I'm just taking it all to the salvation army. It's not worth a couple hundred bucks for the hassle.
Old 10-30-10, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A couple hundred bucks? Damn.

It's definitely worth the "hassle".
Old 10-31-10, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Listing things, buying boxes, wrapping things, writing addresses on boxes, going places, ugh. If I wanted to be a shipper I'd work at UPS.

Okay, I'm keeping a few select items that I'll ebay off but the rest is going. There's just too much.
Old 10-31-10, 12:03 PM
Banned

Haven't been on eBay for a while, but I would not recommend using it, unless you like getting ripped off.

eBay only favors the buyer at this point. I stopped selling when it got to the point where sellers could not leave factual feedback about buyers (ONLY positive can be left), while buyers can leave any kind that they want, even undeserved negative. A few of those and you're pretty much done as a seller and there's nothing you can do about it.

Also, only a sucker is going to accept a situation where you have to send out an item before you recieve the payment. Many items on eBay fall into a category where the payment is held by eBay/PayPal until the item is shipped and the buyer confirms that they have received it. (For all I know, by now every item is handled that way.) Fine, now the buyer decides to say that they never received the item or that there was either a broken or no item in the shipping box (shipping confirmation isn't going to save you there) and they get to keep the item and their money is returned to them. Seller has no item and no money, and they can't even leave negative feedback!

Just go to the eBay forums and read the horror stories from sellers. It's hard to believe anyone still uses it.
Old 10-31-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If it's a "collectable" the best thing is to sell it on a forum that is appropriate for that item, like a comic book, stamp, antique stereo, etc forum. I get more money for my DVD's that have actual collectable value here on this site than I ever would on Ebay. There are rabid collectors on here who have paid me just for the packaging that a DVD box set came in.
Old 10-31-10, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^ OK any Precious Moments boards out there?

Or is there a way on Amazon Marketplace to sell bulk items. All I can manage to figure out is how to sell one item, and if it isn't in thier dataase then How do I sell it?
Old 10-31-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
Never mind, I'm just taking it all to the salvation army. It's not worth a couple hundred bucks for the hassle.
This would be my best advice

Selling on ebay is for people that need more frustration in their lives...